Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

Hybrid View

Question donnie yen, underestimated

i watch a lot of doonie yen's movies and television series from hong kong and once in a while see him in some american stuff like blade 2. what i wonder is why a guy that seems to have such talent get stuck in bad roles like his less than important fole in blade 2? i would think that the guy from iron monkey and once upon a time in china 2 would have a better foot in hollywood.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Hollywood stereotypes him as only being a martial artist, and only being a martial artis will get you crappy movies like jet li got in America.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Quote Originally Posted by SanSoo Student View Post
    Hollywood stereotypes him as only being a martial artist, and only being a martial artis will get you crappy movies like jet li got in America.
    That's too bad too, because he's a waaaaaaay better actor then Jet. He can actually show emotion and some form of internal monolouge without having to directly tell the audience his character's considering things.

Also, he's the reason the fights in Blade 3 sucked out loud compared to 2.

The lack of him being involved, I mean.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I'm not sure Hollywood is ready to give someone like Donnie Yen much more than bad cameo roles. I think his first was in the last Highlander film where he stole the show but got eliminated early on. There seems to be a very low limit of Asian (male) stars that Hollywood will allow in, and as mentioned, he is stereotyped as a martial artist. And in Hollywood, Asian martial artist means Jackie Chan or Jet Li.

Hollywood doesn't seem ready for an Asian man who can actually act and do things besides being a: (1) martial artist; (2) stuffy/boring businessman; (3)nerd who makes fun of self (4) Yakuza/Triad gangster.

He doesn't get to do anythign in that movie with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I kept waiting for them to showdown and then they did and I had to remember that it is an American movie.

I have seen a clip of Highlander Endgame where he has an awesome scene. I am guessing it is his only fight scene. I don't know why he can't get a real role. I don't think that Killzone showed he is a superstar or anything but he should at least be given a couple of REAL shots in Hollywood.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Obviously we all would like to see more of Donnie -- I think he's capable of taking bigger roles. He is obviously "paying his dues" so to speak -- look at Jackie and Jet -- both of them were basically superstars in Asia when they first started dabbling in Hollywood roles. Both of them had lesser pictures where they were given cameos (ala Cannonball Run or Lethal Weapon IV) and eventually became legitimate Hollywood stars. Hopefully Donnie is on a similiar path -- he sure seems poised to make the next leap. I think a certain part of the equation is luck and getting the right role at the right time as well -- there are many talented Asian-American actors out there who get consistent work but have never become leading stars -- one who comes to mind is Russell Wong, who has done a combination of dramatic roles as well as some action-oriented and martial arts films. I think someone who is definitely getting some great roles lately is Ken Watanabe. And Chow Yun Fat is another HK legend who didn't really get much recognition with his 1st few films. Donnie has the physical skill obviously, plus the looks and charisma -- now I think he just needs the right role and vehicle to take him to the next level.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I think Chow Yun Fat would work well for Hollywood crime/suspense movies. We know he can play a great, gritty cop. They did pigeonhole him into Chinatown themed movies as Jimbo said but I think they should put him in more then that. I really think Chow Yun Fat has the acting ability and charisma and it might be enough to break the mold. He's in the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Maybe that will make him more mainstream.
    Last edited by The Xia; 02-13-2007 at 10:22 PM.

I agree that Chow is amazing and would be good if he was given a great role. I don't think Donnie Yen can be compared to Chow in any way but DOnnie still deserves a serious shot. it just has to be the right role. He has only been working for what, 24 years now?
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Smile

im glad to see that i'm not the only person out there that things donnie has been getting the shaft. as for chow yun fat, was it just me or was bullet proof monk a great movie that nobody knew about? true we could have done without mr. funktastic but if you cut him out i enjoyed it. chow hasn't done too many kung fu films since crouching tiger was his first. i think it was sean's character that drew me in. the scene with were he learns kung fu from watching the movies. that brought back memories.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

I may have to actually watch Bulletproof Monk. I have it but never planned on watching it. Seriosly, is it good?

And Crouching Dragon wasn't Chow's first fu movie. He did a little bit in Treasure Hunt and Tiger On the Beat. I don't know if you can call it kung fu though. Postman Strikes back is the only other one I can think of where he does kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I may have to actually watch Bulletproof Monk. I have it but never planned on watching it. Seriosly, is it good?

And Crouching Dragon wasn't Chow's first fu movie. He did a little bit in Treasure Hunt and Tiger On the Beat. I don't know if you can call it kung fu though. Postman Strikes back is the only other one I can think of where he does kung fu.
    bulletproof monke...meh....good? no...

worth watching? sure. it will entertain you a little bit. the scene in the kitchen with the cheerios is the best scene in the entire movie.

watch it for that.

oh, and the downfall of immortality seeking tibetan monk killing nazi scum
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Chow is an actor that learned some MA moves to do his craft, not like Donnie or Jet of course, i'd rather see Chow "Gunfuing" in action movies than see him play an MAist as he did in Crouching tiger hidden dragon.

I agree that Chow is amazing and would be good if he was given a great role. I don't think Donnie Yen can be compared to Chow in any way but DOnnie still deserves a serious shot. it just has to be the right role. He has only been working for what, 24 years now?
    I agree that he deserves a shot. But I also think he is part of a long list of actors and actresses (I refuse to use that silly new term "female actor") that don't get their deserved piece of the Hollywood pie.

Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

Is there anyone better?

Donnie doing taiji:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82KyZkgE2eA

Doing Hung Kuen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnXhKN4O4U

Doing Wing Chun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4

Doing MMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKya2Jd2RqU

Enough said *****es !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

man crush!!