Thread: Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

Hybrid View

I'm not sure Hollywood is ready to give someone like Donnie Yen much more than bad cameo roles. I think his first was in the last Highlander film where he stole the show but got eliminated early on. There seems to be a very low limit of Asian (male) stars that Hollywood will allow in, and as mentioned, he is stereotyped as a martial artist. And in Hollywood, Asian martial artist means Jackie Chan or Jet Li.

Hollywood doesn't seem ready for an Asian man who can actually act and do things besides being a: (1) martial artist; (2) stuffy/boring businessman; (3)nerd who makes fun of self (4) Yakuza/Triad gangster.

He doesn't get to do anythign in that movie with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I kept waiting for them to showdown and then they did and I had to remember that it is an American movie.

I have seen a clip of Highlander Endgame where he has an awesome scene. I am guessing it is his only fight scene. I don't know why he can't get a real role. I don't think that Killzone showed he is a superstar or anything but he should at least be given a couple of REAL shots in Hollywood.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Obviously we all would like to see more of Donnie -- I think he's capable of taking bigger roles. He is obviously "paying his dues" so to speak -- look at Jackie and Jet -- both of them were basically superstars in Asia when they first started dabbling in Hollywood roles. Both of them had lesser pictures where they were given cameos (ala Cannonball Run or Lethal Weapon IV) and eventually became legitimate Hollywood stars. Hopefully Donnie is on a similiar path -- he sure seems poised to make the next leap. I think a certain part of the equation is luck and getting the right role at the right time as well -- there are many talented Asian-American actors out there who get consistent work but have never become leading stars -- one who comes to mind is Russell Wong, who has done a combination of dramatic roles as well as some action-oriented and martial arts films. I think someone who is definitely getting some great roles lately is Ken Watanabe. And Chow Yun Fat is another HK legend who didn't really get much recognition with his 1st few films. Donnie has the physical skill obviously, plus the looks and charisma -- now I think he just needs the right role and vehicle to take him to the next level.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Can't agree more with you guys, has anyone seen the hk series he did which were based on fist of fury?

Li Kao:

Regarding Russell Wong, I thought it was a pity he was buried in sub-par roles by Hollywood, always having to affect a fake accent and play subordinate characters. He seemed poised to break the mold and play mainstream American characters like white, black, and many Hispanic actors are able to. He's certainly got the acting chops to do so. But he's always stuck in Asian-themed episodes or films when he is seen. Sorry to have gone off-topic.

Donnie might even be good starring in a U.S. movie that features relatively few martial arts scenes. Something like a crime/suspense type story, similar to Seven, or The Bone Collector, but with some MA. Even similar to Seagal's Marked For Death or Out For Justice before his movies went down the drain. Rather than a movie that's completely martial-themed. He's got a very good, gritty style that would suit that type of film. And the bit of MA he shows would be all the more dramatic. That could further set him apart from Jackie Chan and Jet Li in their American films. And I don't think they should limit Donnie to Chinatown-themed stories like they did to Chow Yun-Fat.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-13-2007 at 09:40 PM.