Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

pics of cwnm from louis koo's blog

here are some pics from louis koos blog, unlike dragon tiger gate. pics and behind the scene footage are hard to come by for this one so check it out:

http://www.kootinlok.net/louisxpress...og20070124.htm

nice Donnie montage

This clip showcases some of the action highlights of Donnie's career -- kind of quick and just gives a taste, but still pretty fun to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQlKLRfyYqo
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    And Crouching Dragon wasn't Chow's first fu movie. He did a little bit in Treasure Hunt and Tiger On the Beat. I don't know if you can call it kung fu though. Postman Strikes back is the only other one I can think of where he does kung fu.
    Chow is an actor that learned some MA moves to do his craft, not like Donnie or Jet of course, i'd rather see Chow "Gunfuing" in action movies than see him play an MAist as he did in Crouching tiger hidden dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hishaam View Post
    Chow is an actor that learned some MA moves to do his craft, not like Donnie or Jet of course, i'd rather see Chow "Gunfuing" in action movies than see him play an MAist as he did in Crouching tiger hidden dragon.
    I dunno, even if he never learned anything, he comes off as the "old master/*******" about 10,000 times harder then anyone else in current cinema. And honestly, if it's a movie that has kung fu, and not a kung fu movie, I'd rather his way of doing it.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

My opinion on this matter-Chow's gun fu stuff is superb!

I have actually seeked out all of CHow's kung fu movies over the years and I think I have actually found them all! I even found a beggar So TV series where he does drunken style! IS Chow a kung fu master? Of course not. Why did I get all of the Chow kung fu movies I could find? Well, that is pretty easy to answer. I like Chow Yun Fat movies, I like kung fu movies, I just added 1 and 1 together and came up with an even bigger number.

Postman fights Back is an outstanding movie. If you have not seen it, check it out hishaam. The Yuen clan make CHow look absolutely fabulous. 7/10 rating from me.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Thumbs up

My opinion on this matter-Chow's gun fu stuff is superb!

I have actually seeked out all of CHow's kung fu movies over the years and I think I have actually found them all! I even found a beggar So TV series where he does drunken style! IS Chow a kung fu master? Of course not. Why did I get all of the Chow kung fu movies I could find? Well, that is pretty easy to answer. I like Chow Yun Fat movies, I like kung fu movies, I just added 1 and 1 together and came up with an even bigger number.
    Hehe pretty simple and efficient

Postman fights Back is an outstanding movie. If you have not seen it, check it out hishaam. The Yuen clan make CHow look absolutely fabulous. 7/10 rating from me.
    Sure i'll check it out when i can.

I agree that Chow is amazing and would be good if he was given a great role. I don't think Donnie Yen can be compared to Chow in any way but DOnnie still deserves a serious shot. it just has to be the right role. He has only been working for what, 24 years now?
    I agree that he deserves a shot. But I also think he is part of a long list of actors and actresses (I refuse to use that silly new term "female actor") that don't get their deserved piece of the Hollywood pie.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Animals1Path View Post
    I dunno, even if he never learned anything, he comes off as the "old master/*******" about 10,000 times harder then anyone else in current cinema.
    I have to disagree with this. I agree that he is good in Kung Fu man roles despite the fact that as far as I know he only learned a little movie fu. However, I don't think he is so much the old master. I think he is more the middle-aged, somewhat weather beaten fighter who has seen and done a lot. Sort of like he was in CTHD. As for someone that does the old master well today, one of them I pick is Gordon Liu. I thought he was fantastic in Kill Bill. He had some big boots to fill but I thought he did a great job.

Xia-I don't know if the Emperor can be considered a "wise old master" role, but NOBODY would have been better playing that part. I am sure you saw the movie, and he had the best action scene by far. Again, not saying he is a kung fu star, just saying he can play a badass, and he can play a wise old badass as well. Just my 2 cents.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I have to agree with you that he was great in that role and that the character wouldn't classify as a "wise old master". I also agree that Chow could play a wise old bad mofo. I'm just saying that he isn't the only one. Gordon Liu really impressed me in Kill Bill. I'm so used to him as the archetypical Kung Fu hero but when he was given a different hat I thought he wore it very well.

I thought he was great. Good in part 1 and spectacular in 2.

It's just that Chow can't be matched. He would be so freaking good if he could play the same part he did in Curse, but it just needs to be a better movie. Maybe Gordon Liu can be his top General in the next project for Chow.

Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

Is there anyone better?

Donnie doing taiji:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82KyZkgE2eA

Doing Hung Kuen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnXhKN4O4U

Doing Wing Chun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4

Doing MMA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKya2Jd2RqU

Enough said *****es !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

man crush!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrat View Post
    man crush!!
    In a total non-spartan way !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

what is the old donnie movie where he is in the river and the guy is going to kill his buddy so he throws his knife, skips it off the water under his buddies legs and hits the guy behind him. that scene was sooooo sick but i cant remember what movie it was.

im pretty sure he actually skipped his blade off water under some guys legs (maybe a dummy but u know those old crazy hong kong guys) cuz it was old movie and it looked fully real all in one shot.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.