Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Donnie Yen: Uber Awesome !!

I could be wrong, but that scene *might* be from Legend of the Wolf.

"For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Well they have repealed Prop 8...who am I to judge another man's Man Crush! Best wishes lads.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I could be wrong, but that scene *might* be from Legend of the Wolf.
    i think you might be right im going to have to try and find that. thanks
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

$5m

19/10/2010
    Tony Leung and Donnie Yen are worth $5m each

With the booming China film and television industry, Hong Kong actors are getting paid double

Tony Leung and Donnie Yen

Hong Kong's top grossing actors are really not cheap to hire.

The most expensive actors would be Tony Leung and Donnie Yen, who are able to command more than $5 million each for a single movie.

Tony's latest project with director Jingle Ma is expected to bring the veteran actor a whopping HKD30 million ($5 million), which is double of what he earned per movie last year at HKD15 million ($2.5 million).

Since Ip Man, Donnie Yen has been one of the most sought after actors in China, with film makers raising his remuneration from RMB15 million ($3 million) last year to RMB30million ($6 million).

The recent film market boom in China has also allowed other stars to make quite a comeback, such as Hong Kong actress Cecilia Cheung. She is expected to take home HKD10 million ($5 million) for her Lunar New Year flick All's Well, Ends Well.

But the top grossing actor has got to be actor Jet Li, banking in a total of RMB66 million ($12 million) this year.
    Jet is worth both of them. Go figure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thats ok, donnie would beat the living snot out of jet

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i'm glad to see the china movie market coming back. i really enjoyed some of the stuff in the earlier 2000's. then it hit a low point where every movie had bad everything. gen x cops was great, so many to name from then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

8 letters for you, Lucas

OUaTiCII
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey now!!

Best towel fu eva!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

word up!!!

What do you guys think Donnie's favorite kung fu styles are to practice? I know he is an actor and his mother does baguazhang. Also he trained with the Beijing wushu team but I would think both him and Jet Li have to have favorite systems they practice.

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    What do you guys think Donnie's favorite kung fu styles are to practice? I know he is an actor and his mother does baguazhang. Also he trained with the Beijing wushu team but I would think both him and Jet Li have to have favorite systems they practice.
    Stomp yo nuts fu

Donnie knows a lot of stuff, but movie fu is his favorite style.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Back in the late '80s or early '90s, I read an interview of Donnie Yen, and he mentioned something like his favorite style(s) are whatever worked. When he was in Boston, he said, he learned a lot of different MA's besides just from his mother, Bow Sim-Mark. He also did TKD, kickboxing, some kung fu (I think), and karate under a Sensei Mattson, who was an early karate pioneer and teacher of Uechi-ryu style. I think he was getting into trouble, so he was sent to China for a while to train wushu. I remember him saying something like he never really felt too comfortable with the performance wushu, though he seemed good at it.

Years before he was in movies, he appeared in a book written by his mother, I think it's called Wushu Basics (or something like that). He demo'd a lot of the jumps and kicks in the photos.

When asked what his regime was at the time of the interview, Donnie said "Just my kicking. That's it." I'm sure his training has become more extensive since then.

Of course, he's surely learned a lot more since then, too. How deeply he's gone into any one art, though, who knows.