Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Manup Standup fights

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    just a question, since they are not really allowing grappling, why do they use 4oz gloves, i would have thought boxing gloves would have made more sense?
    Did you study WC for a period of time? You can do WC with boxing gloves, but it has to be modified. With mma gloves it allows the techniques to be expressed and used more similarly to the way that they are initially taught. The same is true for other arts, especially TCMA.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-16-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: they to the

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    . . . You can do WC with boxing gloves, but it has to be modified. With mma gloves it allows the techniques to be expressed and used more similarly to they way that they are initially taught. The same is true for other arts, especially TCMA.
    Exactly,
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    I have an idea -- why don't they only allow 10 seconds for free-movement stand up too! That will allow for "some striking."
    IMO, it's probably because sadly, most TMAs aren't very familiar with modern ground fighting. Those that are should be able to pull something off on someone unfamiliar to grappling in 10 seconds. I didn't make the rule but I've heard from the promoters that they want people to be able to use their arts against resisting opponents while standing.
    There are grappling only events, and there is K1 with no grappling. So this is an event with "limited" grappling.
    Hopefully, these TMAs will start learning to defend on the ground and maybe more time will be allowed on the ground.
    My take is that since most TMAs don't fight at all that these events are at least a start for people getting used to full contact. (Excuse typos, just getting familiar with the iphone 4 keyboard)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    IMO, it's probably because sadly, most TMAs aren't very familiar with modern ground fighting. Those that are should be able to pull something off on someone unfamiliar to grappling in 10 seconds. I didn't make the rule but I've heard from the promoters that they want people to be able to use their arts against resisting opponents while standing.
    No one is going to be able to pull any sub off in 10 seconds of ground time with a genuinely resisting opponent (unless they get very lucky).

And the rules also limit "stand up" grappling (clinch) to 10 seconds. This isn't consistent with "the promoters that they want people to be able to use their arts against resisting opponents while standing."

I think what the promoters really want is to keep the action mainly free-movement striking (kickboxing).

There are grappling only events, and there is K1 with no grappling. So this is an event with "limited" grappling.
    So limited as to make it inconsequential.

Hopefully, these TMAs will start learning to defend on the ground and maybe more time will be allowed on the ground.
    My take is that since most TMAs don't fight at all that these events are at least a start for people getting used to full contact. (Excuse typos, just getting familiar with the iphone 4 keyboard)
    OK.

So limited as to make it inconsequential.

Have someone hit a big throw on you and then land on top. Then, ask yourself if it was inconsequential. San Da but now it is cool to land on them and suck some wind out

Have someone hit a big throw on you and then land on top. Then, ask yourself if it was inconsequential. San Da but now it is cool to land on them and suck some wind out
    Maybe you can point me to some videos of where that really made much of a difference in a fight? Because if it really doesn't make much of a difference, then it would be hard to call it consequential (since it had no significant consequences), wouldn't it?

Maybe you can point me to some videos of where that really made much of a difference in a fight? Because if it really doesn't make much of a difference, then it would be hard to call it consequential (since it had no significant consequences), wouldn't it?
    Stop living vicariously and just experience it for yourself.

Stop living vicariously and just experience it for yourself.
    As I train MMA, I get taken down, thrown, etc. all the time. So I do experience it -- regularly. That's why I don't agree with you.

As I train MMA, I get taken down, thrown, etc. all the time. So I do experience it -- regularly. That's why I don't agree with you.
    That's my point. You get gentlemanly treatment in the training hall and you think that the ring is the same way.

That's my point. You get gentlemanly treatment in the training hall and you think that the ring is the same way.
    Show me the videos where these throws were consequential. You can't. They are no more consequential in the ring than the gym.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDB8wk6P9g8

Did you study WC for a period of time? You can do WC with boxing gloves, but it has to be modified. With mma gloves it allows the techniques to be expressed and used more similarly to the way that they are initially taught. The same is true for other arts, especially TCMA.
    two points, firstly not a wing chun comp its open to all styles, and secondly check the actual fights out and tell me they are using open hand techniques or any techniques that need an open gloves

Did you study WC for a period of time?
    BTW, this is really disingenuous when there is absolutely no evidence that YOU have ever trained WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    they are allowing some grappling. You have 10 seconds to pull something off on the ground.
    they are allowing no time for any grappling to happen, but probably just enough time for an injury to happen as someone trys something stupid, either give them enough time to grappl both standing and on the ground or just ban it its not rocket science if you dont want it to happen just ban it from the rules

Man up stand up Traditional Wushu free fighting & Push hands Tournament:
    8/28/10
    sat -10AM to 5pm
    competitor Fee $50
    Spectators Fee $ 15
    THE CHILDREN'S AID SOCIETY
    DUNLEVY MILBANK CENTER
    14-32 WEST 118TH STREET
    NEW YORK N. Y. 1002

DIRECTIONS: Number 6 local train to 116th street , manhattan, n y walk to 118th street . it is between fifth avenue and lenox avenue
    For more information:
    contact Tournament Director
    Sifu Novell Bell

Pre -Registration Dead Line Fee $40 (by 8/20/10) $60 for both fighting and push hands. After dead line date: At the Door $50 first event/ $70 .00 for both fighting & push hands.(646) 895- 9262
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

BTW, this is really disingenuous when there is absolutely no evidence that YOU have ever trained WCK.
    Other than the fact that I actually know what I am talking about whereas, you clearly do not.