Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Manup Standup fights

Perhaps the Wing Chun forum should implement a thirty second rule for silly flame wars. This thread would be quite concise.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Perhaps the Wing Chun forum should implement a thirty second rule for silly flame wars. This thread would be quite concise.
    Nah. Traffic would drop off. This forum is all about the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Yea T. and I should call a cease fire on the sniping back and fourth. It is a ridiculous endeavor for grown men to act this way even if we can't stand one another.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Context.

A throw itself isn't in most cases consequential (doesn't carry much in the way of consequences) if you have no time to take advantage (being on top) the throw provides.
    true, except for when fighting multiple opponents. throws and other moves are used to neutralize one attacker momentarily allowing you to deal with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    IMO, it's probably because sadly, most TMAs aren't very familiar with modern ground fighting.
    this is true. most TMAs were developed during a time when the skills were used to defend yourself outside of the ring. most of the time against robbers, bandits, rapists etc., most likely multiple opponents or in a battlefield situation.

going to the ground is not recommended for these types of situations.
    Last edited by Pacman; 08-17-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    Unless the rapist looks like this. Then it IS recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post

**** how many squats did that take?

**** how many squats did that take?

How did she get those shorts on?

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    How did she get those shorts on?
    Either stretch material or they are painted on.

You're just not seeing things from the same amplitudinal point of view that I was seeing things.
    lol been there with a few national judo guys, nothing quite makes an impression on you like seeing your legs at an horizontal angle to your head at 6ft off the ground

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Many people find ground work boring, you know that, so did the UFC and made the changes, we all know how AbuDhabi just eats up the ratings, right?

Certainly a slam is more consequential then someone falling on someone, even on purpose, due to a throw.
    it all depends, to heavywights sitting on each other is boring, much like two strikes circling each other for round after round without engaging can be boring..i have lost count of the number of UFC fights i have fast forwarded through waiting for someone to actually commit to a punch..... thank god for sky +

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Based on what I've been reading here I'm starting to think that 30 seconds is a lot better. I'm going to suggest it for the next fights. I hope the promoters agree. It's probably too late for them to change the rules now.
    if they dont agree then suggest bigger gloves, if grappling is not really wanted 8 ot 10oz MMA gloves should be used, still open hand and provide better protection for all involved

this is true. most TMAs were developed during a time when the skills were used to defend yourself outside of the ring. most of the time against robbers, bandits, rapists etc., most likely multiple opponents or in a battlefield situation.

as said over and over, going to the ground is not really ever recommended, but sh*t happens, even monkeys fall out fo trees so its a good idea to know a little ground work for self defence as well as ring fighting..after all most rapings happen on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    it all depends, to heavywights sitting on each other is boring, much like two strikes circling each other for round after round without engaging can be boring..i have lost count of the number of UFC fights i have fast forwarded through waiting for someone to actually commit to a punch..... thank god for sky +
    Dude, I love submission grappling and have many of the abu dhabi on DVD, but I can't get anyone to watch them with me, LOL !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

My oh my, an ass like that is the kind that you bite, get lock jaw and die happy !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !