Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

This video shows some controlled sparring drills of the Pre-Heaven Power Method (先天勁法) demonstrated by the chief instructor, Master Wei-Chung Lin (林維中), of the American YiZungYue Internal Martial Arts Association (AYZYIM). AYZYIM is a new organization to promote the Pre-Heaven Power Method to the world’s martial arts community. The Pre-Heaven Power Method, developed by Grandmaster Pan Yue (潘岳), is a systematic, revolutionary, and comprehensive approach to acquiring internal power. The First International Workshop on the Pre-Heaven Power Method will be held on October 23-24 in Skokie, Illinois, U.S.A. Please check the site http://www.americanyzy.com/ for more details about the workshop and AYZYIM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-_8...watch_response

That doesn't really qualify as sparring, just a demo.
    Any videos of "non-controlled sparring"?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    not really a sparring vid. more like showing off stuff in a one step manner. Now take those moves and put them on a person doing full speed and unpredicted movements, now that's impressive.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    not really a sparring vid. more like showing off stuff in a one step manner. Now take those moves and put them on a person doing full speed and unpredicted movements, now that's impressive.
    I agree with you. It is more a demonstration of fajin drills. However, to evaluate this video, one probably should ask the following question instead: under the same circumstances, can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?

can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?
    + on a resistant opponent throwing an unknown 100% tech. at me?
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That doesn't really qualify as sparring, just a demo.
    Any videos of "non-controlled sparring"?
    We don't have any video of non-controlled sparring yet. We may make some in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    + on a resistant opponent throwing an unknown 100% tech. at me?
    No. I meant the same level of attacks as shown in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by suddenflower View Post
    I agree with you. It is more a demonstration of fajin drills. However, to evaluate this video, one probably should ask the following question instead: under the same circumstances, can I perform the fajin moves with the sound structures and power as those shown in the video?
    actually one should ask why on earth would i want to do that

secondly one should probably wonder if thats what qualifies as sparring within that organisation why on earth would i join it

and thirdly would should ask why do people put up demos like this and expect to be taken seriously? Its not sparring, its not anything like fighting call it what it is, power testing with complient students

fake fajin. but im happy for fellow chinese making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house
    Last edited by bawang; 08-13-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

fake fajin. but im happy a fellow chinese is making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house
    I was wait for it,,, waiting,,, waiting,,, you never disappoint bawang....

just do a lot of pushups and u can do the same types of "pre heaven fajing"

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    actually one should ask why on earth would i want to do that

secondly one should probably wonder if thats what qualifies as sparring within that organisation why on earth would i join it

and thirdly would should ask why do people put up demos like this and expect to be taken seriously? Its not sparring, its not anything like fighting call it what it is, power testing with complient students

I am sorry if we confused you by not choosing the right words in the title according to your definition. We did try to indicate that this is not the final training by using the word "controlled". One major objective of the exercise is to make sure one possesses sound structures after the less dynamic trainings in the previous stages and before moving on to the next level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    fake fajin. but im happy for fellow chinese making good money in america. i hope he can buy a big house
    Fajin in an exercise is different from "fake fajin". We never indicate in the description that this video shows a real fight and no one is faking anything here. If you think the exercises are useless or the scenarios are unrealistic, it is a different issue.

I think a good idea would be a demo where both people are similar skill level. I think the student is overresponding to the technique, which makes for a dynamic appearing demo, but makes it harder to make the drills as functional as possible for training. He moves more than he should because of his own response.

At :57 is a good example of this. That strike wouldn't be going for a push normally, but would be seeking to set in the opponent. Add to that the student's inability to redirect, and you have a technique that needs to be worked against an experienced person to be seen well for what it is.

It is very rare that one simply wants to push the opponent backward on some of those techniques, but it may be the case that you aren't wishing to muddy things by including tripping footwork and such that normally go with those.

However, I feel that the drills could benefit from a partner who is better informed on what to do in case of these pushes other than feed them with lack of footwork response. Most decent opponents will not fall from being pushed solely backwards, though if there is good reason to push them backwards(flaming pit of spikes back there or something), that is another thing.

Just my thoughts. I hope you take my feedback for the constructive criticism that it is meant to be.

And certainly, the term sparring suggests that neither party knows for certain what will happen. Perhaps if you had drills that had one response for a lead, another for a cross, and the person throwing the attacks chose which and the other didn't know, this could be a sparring drill. I'd recommend changing the title otherwise. These are basically your fajin applications. Sparring drills for these would be live, and I would be interested in seeing further developments as these drills progress. Good luck.
    Last edited by KC Elbows; 08-13-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Just to clarify, I am mostly talking about your drills, not the techniques themselves, except where I feel the drills are not showing the techniques as well as they could.

After watching it again, I really think one major thing that would help make these drills more useful for what you are wanting is putting gloves on the attacker. Thus, his strikes will more likely be on target and effective, so that you can showcase these moves against effective technique.

Again, just my thoughts. Anything that can improve our gongfu, right?