Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Video: Controlled Sparring Demo by the Chief Instructor of AYZYIM

In one previous post, we asked you the following question:
    The exercise performed in the video are similar to the "one step sparring" drills in Karate. For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZghm7Gz8ZY
    Are the exercises not useful because the attacker is a compliant one who doesn't move after he punches?

And your answer was:
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    that is exactly why they are not usefu, because they teach based on a contrivance that the attacker will not respond; considering that you are trianing to fight, theoreticaly, practicing in this way is of minimal to no value, and perhaps even detrimental that, and the way the attack comes in is also a contrivance; at the very best, it might b useful for beginning beginners, but even that is debatable;
    (you will now doubtless proffer the "argument" that because it's been done this way for a million-bilion years, that it needs must be useful, and you will incredulously ask me if I am naysaying the accumuated wisodom of umpteenth generations of venerated hoary masters, and the answer is, "yes, I am");
    So, you were insulting the intelligence of the Karate community. This just shows how arrogant and ignorant you are. What is your credential anyway?
    Last edited by suddenflower; 08-16-2010 at 11:01 AM.

now how did I miss this one?

well, it seems that your wude doesn't preclude smugness and condescension; well done;
    For your reference, "cast pearls before swine" is a quote from the Holy Bible. The equivalence in Chinese is 對牛彈琴.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Aha, I get it now!

TGY, congratulations! People fear and resent you, and hold on to their grudges for years! You could use that as an advert or something.
    You think too highly of TGY. We have already forgotten him until he reminded us on this thread. Actually, I was surprised that he mentioned this incident. He should try to hide the fact that he had misjudged (or bad-mouthed out of jealousy?) the Xingyiquan video.
    Last edited by suddenflower; 08-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.

I know enuf about TCMA culture to know that all that wude stuff is mostly a fiction retrofitted onto TCMA by literati types in order to make it more respectable; the REAL Chinese MA guys didn't go in for that at all, and in fact were considered the lowest of the lows by sociey because they were soldiers, body guards and mercenaries; the whole wude thing was pretty much to make MA more palatable to royal and upper classes, so that they could justify their weekend warrior pursuits and study MA without feeling like they were stooping to the level typically reserved for the guys who actually did the real fighting; and that's how FICTIONAL CHARACTERS like Li Mu Bai got traction in the real world...
    real wu de exists, but just by teaching for money 99% of all kung fu teachers have already violated wude

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by suddenflower View Post
    You have ambushed our post of the Xingyiquan video in the past.
    LOL, ambushed? I think that you may have me confused with a different poster on that thread; go back and read it again, I was posting as cjurakpt at the time - if you think that was an ambush then you are really deluded;

More than three years have passed and what does time tell?
    that you guys still post the same old stuff and expect people to take it seriously?

The video turns out to be one of the most viewed and highly rated Xingyiquan video on YouTube. For the convenience of other readers, the URL of the video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP5OEjYVzKQ
    so you got a lot of hits; awesome; oh, and what, exactly, does that translate to in the real world?

The reason why we still post videos on this forum is that we believe the system. We believe that most people are reasonable and fair. We consider people like you the "imperfection" of this prestigious forum.
    by your definition, "imperfection" would equal someone who doesn't agree with your views and has no qualms about saying so; as far as this forum being prestigious, I think that if you stick your nose that far up Gene's asz, he may have trouble walking straight...

The only reason we argue with you on this forum is that we don't want your biased view to influence other readers who are not familiar with the particular style or the training method.
    LOL, if you think that my biased views (as opposed to your biased views) are going to influence anyone more than what you have posted, then you give me too much credit...

This is a public forum and you definitely will not scare us out of it just because you have posted close to 2700 times here.
    scare you out? heavens forbid, I wouldn't dream of even trying to do that - you all are far too amusing - no no, by all means, please stay on and continue to post - it's all very entertaining!

In one previous post, we asked you the following question:
    The exercise performed in the video are similar to the "one step sparring" drills in Karate. For sexample, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZghm7Gz8ZY
    Are the exercises not useful because the attacker is a compliant one who doesn't move after he punches?
    So, you were insulting the intelligence of the Karate community.
    that's your take on it - LOL, nice try trying to set me up as adversarial to the "karate community", just because I don't feel that one sort of practice that they do has value in regards to free fighting; well, then I guess that the entire field of Motor Learning Therory is insulting the intelligence of the karate community too, because my views are strongly supported by the literature in that field;

This just shows how arrogant and ignorant you are.
    oh, I see - so if one disagrees with the practices of a given community, that makes one both arrogant and ignorant; that's a convenient way to support your own position in terms of someone critiquing you

What is your credential anyway?
    why is that relevant? what do you care? even if I give my credentials, you will discount them some how; and what are YOUR credentials? I'll bet that they are less then mine are, LOL!

For your reference, "cast pearls before swine" is a quote from the Holy Bible. The equivalence in Chinese is 對牛彈琴.
    it is a condescending comment; who cares where it's from (and I am well aware of the origin, thank you)

You think too highly of TGY. We have already forgotten him until he reminded us on this thread.
    "we"? ok, now when you say "we", do you mean "we" as in:

or as in

or perhaps as in:

or maybe even as in:

Actually, I was surprised that he mentioned this incident. He should try to hide the fact that he had misjudged (or bad-mouthed out of jealousy?) the Xingyiquan video.
    LOL - why shoud I try to hide anything? although, if you go read the actual thread you are referencing, I certainly wasn't the only one doing so, nor the most vocal in that regard;
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 08-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Aha, I get it now!
    TGY, congratulations! People fear and resent you, and hold on to their grudges for years!
    then it would appear that my work here is done...

LOL at Bible quotes never being used in a condescending manner! Also, if this thread is going where I next think it is, I'd better go stock up on munchies!
    I'd head over to Costco if I were you...

Maybe it's not that I think too highly of an educated, practicing Osteopath who appears to be as much into the correct bio-physiological aspects of CMA as the combative aspects;
    you are too kind sir, but I should correct you that I am not an osteopath, I am a PT who treats from an osteopathic perspective (although I did do 2 years post-graduate work towards an osteo doctoral degree - however, I left the school when I realized that the Director was more interested in having students as fawning groupies than independent thinkers...hmmm...);
    may I say that, based on your posts over the years, I would count as very fortunate any patient who happens across your doorstep;
    (oh, and BTW, speaking of patients, here's a little "walk-in patient" humor that I threw together that you should be able to relate to and may find amusing: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6862809/)

maybe it's that I think so little of the videos posted, the arguments supporting them, and the groupthink replies.
    you always were a killjoy, what with your "logic" and all that;

Why? Is that what you would do, if you felt you had made a mistake? Try to hide it from yourself and others? That's a stupid life method, in my opinion.
    really, like as if some how I am ashamed of what I posted (although I think they have me confused with some of the other more vocal critics on that thread)

As to the projected Jealousy... there's nothing to be jealous about! Unless you mean the number of views on your video, which have nothing to do with the number of likes, and more to do with the words in the title - which, if you do, tells us a lot about your preoccupation with popularity and image more so than TGY's actual feelings.
    I'll bet you a kick in the face that he doesn't give a f*ck.
    oh no, I do care - very deeply and profoundly, I am so preoccupied with them that for 3 years I have been waiting patiently for their return so that I could redeem my crass error and...
    nah, your right, I don't give a fu(k;
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 08-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grncastle View Post
    My personal thoughts, as suddenflower may post something different:

For starters, your original critique, I think was valid, I did not disagree with that. It was a video of a drill, nothing more. To some people, sparring means only free sparring, and some people include things like one step, two step etc. I personally don't think too much about it.
    drilling ≠ sparring; sparring is free fighting; controlled sparring is free fighting with some restriction (e.g - targets, techniques, level of contact); and the vid wasn't sparring, it was even drilling - it was a demonstration;

But then look at your next three posts. How were they relevant or necessary? It was like arguing for the sake of arguing, having to address every sentence, having to have word battles. What nonsense! This is how people are when they talk online. I said 4 words, and it went to lead you on easily as I knew it would.
    lol, that you think you caused me to "do your bidding"; let's see, I answered your post in the same manner that I typically answer most posts; yeh, boy, u really got me to do something that I had no control over

For that matter, it wasn't really my intention to say any derogatory or offending things to you, so I hope you don't take what I said seriously. This reminds me why I don't spend time talking on forums or posting things, in my view, its a waste of time. As I said, its been years since I spent any time posting on forums and in this case it's just to help out with these posts on vids. You seem like you spend a lot of time being on these things, is it useful for you?

I normally greet people with a lot more courtesy, and would've given the same to you, even after the things you posted before. It's what Ive been doing so far this week anyway, I guess I just decided to do it different and wing it this time. I don't have anything personally against you taai, and I actually like your links under your profile. It's stuff like that which is very innovative and useful. The Preheaven Power method that the workshop is about is based on the similar ideas, emphasis on body mechanics. People can take it as they want, and we're certain to get negative reactions and skepticism, we expect that. There is a lot less concern about public perception than you might think. Forums are just easy ways to reach people. And maybe my behavior tonight was a bad way to market, but I hope at least some good insight can be seen from this.

So yeah, nothing personal, I hope you get the idea of what I meant. If you don't like the video, that's fine.

This addresses what I think about this. However, I do think suddenflower has a good point about you presenting a video or something of your own. You can do that for the sake of your own argument if you want. Whatever it would be, I personally wouldn't give you a hard time about it. I don't buy into the habit of going about and criticizing everything that's out there. I don't feel like I' would've "suffered" being shown in a video, no matter how much people might think badly of it. You shouldn't have to see it that way either. Even if you don't want to post a video, more stuff like those links would be nice. I like studying into things, and it's good material.
    now who's going on and on?
    look, shoulda, coulda, woulda; fact is, you posted based on your knee-jerk reaction to what i posted, meaning that you obviously have a highly emotional investment in your practice and your teacher's perceived image;
    so before you proclaim any proficiency for leading on others to respond as you "knew they would", you might want to apply some of that multi-hour / day meditation practice to your waking life, which appears to be somewhat lacking in the equanimity that you profess to possess;

look, people can do what they like; if training w ur sifu makes u happy and fulfilled, good for you; doubtless there are many people who hold a similar opinion about him as you do; but when u guys post in lock step and utilize scientology-like tactics to discredit dissenters, it doesn't do much for ur position;

Whatever you think. All you like to do is post on forums, let that suit you if you like.

I think the best way to convince us your credibility on the criticisms about the video is that you post a video of yourself, either doing exercise, performing a form, or free sparring. Among the close to 2,700 posts, do you have anything to show us your achievement on martial arts?
    I am trying to understand how posting a video of oneself demonstrates how foolish your video is? All you need do to demonstrate for yourself how foolish your own video is, is for you to post one with a REAL opponent and not a compliant and somewhat naive student who can neither stand correctly, fall correctly, or throw a proper strike!

well, it seems that your wude doesn't preclude smugness and condescension; well done;
    wude? isnt he uday's brother?

yeah, he would also be a typical and ideal example of a FICTIONAL CHARACTERIZATION dreamed up by Mr. Ang Lee and Mr. James Shamus
    Just because you can't fly doesn't mean that no one else can! I think your jealousy is showing.

I know enuf about TCMA culture to know that all that wude stuff is mostly a fiction retrofitted onto TCMA by literati types in order to make it more respectable; the REAL Chinese MA guys didn't go in for that at all, and in fact were considered the lowest of the lows by sociey because they were soldiers, body guards and mercenaries; the whole wude thing was pretty much to make MA more palatable to royal and upper classes, so that they could justify their weekend warrior pursuits and study MA without feeling like they were stooping to the level typically reserved for the guys who actually did the real fighting; and that's how FICTIONAL CHARACTERS like Li Mu Bai got traction in the real world...
    Right hit them with reality....good one....don't you know you can't reason with the unreasonable? Next you'll start telling everyone there is no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Toothfairy, Leprechauns, Magic Rings to rule them all....etc!

drilling ≠ sparring; sparring is free fighting; controlled sparring is free fighting with some restriction (e.g - targets, techniques, level of contact); and the vid wasn't sparring, it was even drilling - it was a demonstration;
    Yeah! A demonstration that some people will believe anything!

you think you caused me to "do your bidding"
    Look into my eyes...

You are getting verrrrrry sleeeeeeepy!!!!!!

look, people can do what they like; if training w ur sifu makes u happy and fulfilled, good for you; doubtless there are many people who hold a similar opinion about him as you do; but when u guys post in lock step and utilize scientology-like tactics to discredit dissenters, it doesn't do much for ur position;
    What do you expect when you interfere with another persons fantasy life! For some people, their fantasies make the real world more livable. If they didn't have their little magical rainbow mind dreams they would probably be waiting outside your house for 5 or 10 years with a sniper rifle just waiting for the right moment to........wait.....ummmmmm never mind! Pretend I didn't saying anything at all about that........ummmmmm magic IS real!!! REALLY...IT IS!!!!!!! If I say it real real LOUD it makes it true!!!!

Whatever you think. All you like to do is post on forums, let that suit you if you like.
    yes, it's ALL that I do, lol...

so, back to this tack now, eh? ok then <golf claps>

I...that...is...we...will...obey...our...Scottish...masters...and... overlords...

What do you expect me to say? Argue back and forth every single point with you? Why? Do you not see how petty that is? This is what martial arts are about? You were offered to make comparison via video or something. Despite your excuses not to, I found videos with you anyway. What made you so hesitant to refer to them?

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail, editing as you please to cover tracks, and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words. I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are. Any argument or position aside, if you present yourself this way, it does you no good.

What do you expect me to say?
    no expectations at all; but you do keep "saying"...

Argue back and forth every single point with you?
    as you like...

Why?
    why not?

Do you not see how petty that is?
    of course I do; the problem is that you seem to think that what you post / say isn't just as petty...

This is what martial arts are about?
    no, this is what posting on an internet forum related to TCMA is about;

You were offered to make comparison via video or something. Despite your excuses not to, I found videos with you anyway.
    congratulations on doing some homework; also, nice to see that you are so concerned about me that you go to the trouble of googling my name, lol!

What made you so hesitant to refer to them?
    nothing in and of themselves; but now, having found them, do they change in any way your perspective of me / my opinion? probably not

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail,
    you keep stating this as if I am going to feel bad about doing it

editing as you please to cover tracks,
    what are you talking about? now you are spectacubating - spectacubator alert, spectacubator alert, calling all Scott Browns!

and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words.
    should I try to think in pretty pictures like you do?

I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.
    riiight...and yet, despite your admonition of me for replying excessively, you do pretty much the same...

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are.
    I guess that they can, lol
    OTOH, they can also see just how seriously you take yourself...

Any argument or position aside, if you present yourself this way, it does you no good.
    if you could explain to me how, ultimately, in the real world, this does me no good, I'd be interested (I mean, it has no impact on my family, my livlyhood, my friends, my practice and I'm having a helluva lot of fun, so I don't see how it does me "no good"; OTOH, since you are here representing your sifu, anything you say or do reflects back on him, positive or negative)

As I've said.

I...that...is...we...will...obey...our...Scottish...masters...and... overlords...
    Exxxxxxxaaaaaaccccctttllllyyyyyy!!!!!!

Now jump on one leg and bark like a chicken!!

What do you expect me to say? Argue back and forth every single point with you?
    Ummmm! Isn't that just what you ARE doing?

You were offered to make comparison via video or something.
    Can't you see there is no need to make a comparison video. The skills demonstrated in the above video are so poor on the part of both parties it is embarrassing to watch. The sad thing is, there are apparently people like you who think its the cat's meow!

The only thing more embarrassing than the video is there are people like you who think they can defend it!

Really, I am not trying to be mean, but wake up!

As I said at the start, you talk too much. You're so concerned about arguing back every single sentence, reply to every detail, editing as you please to cover tracks, and more. Your paradigm of thought is stuck in words. I can reply as little or as much as I want with little thought and it validates my point all the same.
    tee hee.....tee hee!!!!

You can't compete with tgy in foolishness, erudition, argumentation, presentation of information......

Give it up! You are the one looking like the dimwit here!

Anyone viewing this thread can see how egotistical and vain you are.
    Actually that is exactly what you are looking like, not tgy! You are WAY out of your depth here. I would quit while at least your nose is still above water!

what are you talking about? now you are spectacubating - spectacubator alert, spectacubator alert, calling all Scott Browns!
    I showed up with my fire extinguisher, but I couldn't help putting on my tin foil hat and throwing more fuel on the fire!!!

should I try to think in pretty pictures like you do?
    Everyone likes pretty pictures.....where's sanjuro when we need him??