Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Profound respect for Si Kwok Lam and Yip Chun, re: Yuen Kay San

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Are you saying that Yip Man system Sticking Hands is superficial when compared to Yuen Kay Shan WCK Sticking Hands? Or are you saying that when Yip Man went to learn Sticking Hands from YKS, his knowledge was superficial?
    im saying that yip man learned sticky hands from yuen kay san for a short period of time. YM had only really mastered the chung choi before this. reportedley yuen kay san was also reluctant to teach yip man because he was learning a different style of wing chun. YKS is an 'old school' type of guy who is in the tradition of keeping skills and knowledge within the inner circle of his own KF family.

those are the facts that i know.

from that i see the the confusion over what sticky hands is and the difference in how it is trained. i think even bruce lee (direct YM student) said that it is just for practice and not applicable. you can also see the difference in the way people train the wooden dummy.

to debate whether sticky hands is practical or not is not my intention, but the difference in views of what sticky hands is between the YKS and YM lineage is evidence that YM did not absorb everything YKS knew about chi sau. combine that with the limited time to learn and it fits together.

it might also explain why we see the chung choi as the go to move in YM wing chun and why people on this forum such as sanjuro ronin think WC is all about charging like a rhino into the "close range" with the chung choi
    Last edited by Pacman; 08-17-2010 at 12:16 PM.

speculating YM had only really mastered the Chung Choi really has no sense of what WCK is.

It is as usual, people take side and create lots of HIS-STORY and the HIS-STORY actually distorted on what really happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    im saying that yip man learned sticky hands from yuen kay san for a short period of time. YM had only really mastered the chung choi before this. reportedley yuen kay san was also reluctant to teach yip man because he was learning a different style of wing chun. YKS is an 'old school' type of guy who is in the tradition of keeping skills and knowledge within the inner circle of his own KF family.

from that i see the the confusion over what sticky hands is and the difference in how it is trained. i think even bruce lee (direct YM student) said that it is just for practice and not applicable. you can also see the difference in the way people train the wooden dummy.

to debate whether sticky hands is practical or not is not my intention, but the difference in views of what sticky hands is between the YKS and YM lineage is evidence that YM did not absorb everything YKS knew about chi sau. combine that with the limited time to learn and it fits together.

it might also explain why we see the chung choi as the go to move in YM wing chun and why people on this forum such as sanjuro ronin think WC is all about charging like a rhino into the "close range" with the chung choi

Do you see what I mean, Rene? Idiots. People love their stories. And they always involve how "we" are so much better than "them."

Facts and WC?
    BBBWWWAAHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Chong Chui alone is not WCK.

Go for center line is not WCK but White Crane of Fujian.

Using both arms together is not WCK but Southern ShaoLin and lots of other arts.

Walking in Angle is not WCK.

Sticky hands is actually practice, a second nature, and a uniqueness of WCner who knows WCK.

Stick is not really stick but a combination of Center structure damaging, sealing, and continuous momentum management in the same time. Without this it is not WCK.

Lots of YM's students and grand students among with YKS's line from SN himself, do these although some dont.

From YM's line, Range from WSL, Hawkin, Gary Lam, Robert Chu.....do these, check into the signature.

BTW:
    I dont do Poon Sau type of sticky hand drill, but I still do the above WCK uniqueness. That doesnt mean I dont know WCK, it just mean I am from different lineage.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-17-2010 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Do you see what I mean, Rene? Idiots. People love their stories. And they always involve how "we" are so much better than "them."
    as usual you don't read other people's posts and just blabber on.

i specifically said i am not arguing who is better. i am just stating what i have learned.

you can state the history you have learned, i can state the history i have learned. in the end neither of us have any evidence to prove any claim, but just like Rene's example with the incident in the 70s he trusts his sources and I trust mine.

funny that no one objected to Rene's story, but as soon as you say something politically incorrect everyone calls you crazy. this inconsistency is obviously caused by an emotional factor

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    speculating YM had only really mastered the Chung Choi really has no sense of what WCK is.

It is as usual, people take side and create lots of HIS-STORY and the HIS-STORY actually distorted on what really happen.
    ok but ask yourself this, why do you automatically think you know what actually happened more than i do? if you acknowledge people make things up (which I totally agree), why is what you have learned immune from being made up?

the answer is, "its not", and thats my point.

if people want evidence of things then look at the historical documents about yuen kay san and sum nung's accomplishments (fight records and writings about them that were made at the time they were alive). go to the KF hall of fame museum in Fatsan and check it out for yourself. Ask yourself why yiu choi and yip man are not there despite being part of the "3 heroes of wing chun"

try to find records of yip man's fight record. his signature for participating in the death duel tournaments. you will not find it

this is not

ok but ask yourself this, why do you automatically think you know what actually happened more than i do? if you acknowledge people make things up (which I totally agree), why is what you have learned immune from being made up?

Yip Man only knows Chung Choi?
    Anyone who makes up the story needs to be more clever then this.

if people want evidence of things then look at the historical documents about yuen kay san and sum nung's accomplishments (fight records and writings about them that were made at the time they were alive). go to the KF hall of fame museum in Fatsan and check it out for yourself. Ask yourself why yiu choi and yip man are not there despite being part of the "3 heroes of wing chun"

Still that doesnt prove Yip Man only Knows Chung Choi.

You see, YKS and SN are good.
    However, there is a different between praise on YKS/ SN which everyone agree; and step on Yip Man as one likes it and how one likes it.

Now, turning the question around, how much WCK do yourself know? how many of Yip Man's top students and grand students have you play with? for you to pass your story?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-17-2010 at 05:00 PM.

as usual you don't read other people's posts and just blabber on.

i specifically said i am not arguing who is better. i am just stating what i have learned.

you can state the history you have learned, i can state the history i have learned. in the end neither of us have any evidence to prove any claim, but just like Rene's example with the incident in the 70s he trusts his sources and I trust mine.

funny that no one objected to Rene's story, but as soon as you say something politically incorrect everyone calls you crazy. this inconsistency is obviously caused by an emotional factor

Rene had shared with me his experience after he visited SN.

I buy what Rene told me because working with Rene on many projects bring me to respect his neutral, details, and professional approached.

IMHO,
    You could shared good things on YKS and SN here but please dont pass Ip Man's bad story to respect those who has already passed away.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 08-17-2010 at 05:06 PM.

So how long does it take to learn Chi Sao? To master it might take a long while, but from one WCK person to another, how long does it really take? Also, I am sure Chan Wah Shun lineage has Chi Sao - they may not have started with the same Luk Sao platform as in YKS... Yip Man saw the value in that and learned the Luk Sao platform and filled it in with his WCK application - use of body structure, engaging, asking, feinting, enticing, drawing, guiding, leading, evasion, absorption, issuing, rising, sinking, finishing, intercepting, running, sticking, rubbing, tools such as Tan Da, Lop Da, Pal Da, etc. are the main training methods. Did YKS really teach Yip Man Chi Sao or the platform of Luk Sao? Since I learned both YKS and Yip Man systems, it is more the individual's "game", i.e. his "gung fu" or attainment.

I don't think Chi Sao is just a drill, but it is attribute development. Fighting is a matter of your skills, applying your advantages, to place against your opponent's disadvantages. It is a way for insiders to the WCK family to safely develop their skills, not play pattycake.

YM has his complete game for him, and for what he passed on to his students is very complete. Ultimately, it is not about who's system is more complete, it is about what you do to complete for yourself. All martial arts are really you learning about you, and how you make it work for you.

BTW, I do do not know if Paul said that about WCK, but WCK is no rhino method, perhaps to outsiders without enough detailed instruction, that's what it appears to be.

A lot of chi-sao is redundant to actual fighting use I agree , NOT APPLICABLE , nice to hear others share this. Until you 'let go' of the baggage, chi-sao can make you feel like you have so much, when in reality its just sharpening the punches...and ability to make punches.
    The most obvious is that we dont fight with both arms outstretched equally. We only do this so the 'partner' ie friend, can equally exchange the punches jum v tan while facing.
    Foksao is an 'elbow in jum strike ' waiting to 'lat sao chit chung' a bad elbow of tan....drill.
    Poon sao / lok sao is this, it can be shown as a tan bong v double fok to a beginner for ease of actions, before doing the regular tan ~ jum force exchange.

You feel your buttocks working for stability of the forwards hip positions when your doing this intense exchange, so you can see a lot of c r a p would have been used to make the drill less strenuous on the stability of the practitioners, leading to less intense force of punch exchanges ie backward jutsaos to incoming tan sao's.

We can add many variations to the chi-sao to help increase stability, explosive forwards aggression with momentum controlled, while using the centerline/facing as the attack line. The invisible line being engaged by various counters from a partner, from simple mistakes of over crossing the line while countering, under crossing etc...all making us 'line aware'. lateral movement can be added from chi-sao stances to simply make each other go after the attempted escape, intentional disengagement of hands, feinting, etc...all to develop the mutual partners BEFORE fighting.

3-1/2 years can make a pretty decent fighter, quality of coaching not quantity of years doing cr ap , never mind 30 years....simple actions are hidden in the chung choi, hidden not by secrecy, but by only being energy to maintain certain alignments while attacking 'potential' contact. Becoming 'sensitive' to wrong energy alignment in defensive responses....like rainstorm on a windshield, being countered by windshield wipers, the storm keeps coming you wipe one attack away, the next follows, and so on...WSL was reputed to win many fights within 3 moves like this.

from what I have been told, the 'tan da' was only a facing drill misunderstood [meaning turning only to aim at opponents shifting], not to be done inside the shoulders of the opponent as hard blocks , the 'da' is a jum inward elbow strike, the tan is actually being drawn back to make another jum strike...you can use 2 hands versus one but thats not a skill.

The actual attack/fight of vt is very simple, the opponent shows us what to do, its up to us to beable to train to a point it becomes a reflex response...how long that takes ?

Im still at the 'what the f u c k just hit me ' level
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.

if it doesnt matter then thats great. you should have no problem discussing what is reality without getting upset. for the record im not trying to state who is better, im just stating facts as i was told. those facts coincide with some evidence. you can choose to believe or not.

i did not say sum nung taught yip man. yuen kay san taught yip man sticky hands for a few months briefly. yip man did not know sticky hands before this. all he really knew was how to use the chung choi (chain punch). this is probably why yip man's understanding of sticky hands is superficial, just skin deep at best. this is probably why there is so much confusion as to what sticky hands is. some say its just a drill just an excercise most likely because they cannot make it work in a real situation.

recently i read about yuen kay san in wingchunpedia (http://www.wingchunpedia.org/pmwiki/...CP.YuenKayShan)

in the last paragraph it talks about yuen kay san teaching yip man briefly when yip's house was burned down and yips grandfather being an opium boat captain. these details i had not heard of. i had only been told about yuen teaching yip a little sticky hands.
    Nothing to get angry about, you state your facts, I state mine with reference to family interviews, goverment text, chinese reports and also common sense

Your statements implicate Ng Chun So to have not taught Ip Man anything
    Or Chan Wah Shun to have not shown Ip Man nothing, yet he is officially a listed student.
    Or Leung Bik did not exist.
    Did Chan Wah Shun, Leung Bik and Ng Chun So only know chong choi? And Ng Chun So tasked to teach Ip Man only teach him Chong Choi? It makes no sense.
    And your so called hall of fame that Yiu is not there
    Yiu was known to have great wrist power that shocked many, his moniker was Da li- having great strength Yiu
    世居佛山普君墟安天坊,腕力惊人,人称“大力才”。

Hall of fame- these chinese goverment build a Ip Man Tong for Ip Man. He was not in a hall, he had a place all by himself. This is to recognise his efforts and placing chinese kungfu on the map, worldwide through hongkong to bruce lee. As we should about all the past sifus.
    And from what I see of the reputation of Sifu Lun Gai, and Kwok Fu who are famous in fatshan, Ip man must have taught some great skills.

Yeah Master Tam in Sergio interview from Chan Yiu Ming states otherwise. They knew about Leung Bik and Leung Jan had children. See next post of Fung elder- a respected great man in Kulo.
    By the way Sifu Sergio, I know you are reading this forum and using the information to support your statement Leung Bik dont exist. Rene, he has quoted you word for word on facebook so you know.
    Sifu Sergio, you are not stating everything written here and your translation to the western world is completely different from the chinese report. You do great work with your interviews and I think its great, but since you have the official word from Sifu Tam that he heard from his sifu about leung jan's 2 sons, why do you still say leung bik doesnt exist? I dont understand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IEej1FpJwo

For everyone information, when Ip chun went with Checkly Sim to see Yuen Jo Tong, they nearly came to blows. So dont be putting my lineage in a demeaning way as if they had to beg on their knees and beg for forgiveness because they were so afraid of Yuen Family Skills. That article read by a chinese person would know exactly what it means. That why I posted it in chinese. Checkley sim was taking a position of a junior to seniors, as I will also in front of my seniors. Its not a matter of right and wrong. Its chinese tradition to respect our seniors in the art.

In fact, Sifu Sergio's videos have helped establised Leung Bik existence, since Sifu Tam and Sifu Fung have establised very clearly Leung Bik exist. Of course, I also went to Heshan Kulo Goverment and also the Ip family for their documents, books of Leung Jan, to also substantiate the claim. How can the goverment allow fake documents in one of their most famous monument?

Back to Ip Man and Yuen Kay San, what do their descendants say? In chinese lineage, we will not hesitate to say it as it is. If you were my student, I would not put you as my equal, hence the chinese word, Jun Si Jong Do, respect the teacher and the way, 1 day as a teacher, 1 lifetime as a father. Master Yuen was clearly a man of tradition, he would have honoured that tradition.

How could Yuen teach Ip so much yet be put on the same level?
    How could they be 3 heros together if according the the hall of fame only Master Yuen was qualified to be there?
    Are you implying Ip Man rided on the coat tails of Yuen and had no skills?

Here, instead of stories from this source that, which I cannot see any videos or text to substantiate

Here is from the families of Yiu and Yuen descedants about their relations- They were good friends and brothers. It merely state Yiu and Yuen were older than Ip, thats all. What senior in rank, or taught Ip, or under his family. This was not what was mentioned by the families before the "settlement" in the teahouse. Suddenly there is some document that states Ip learn from Yuen written in the 70s, which no one has seen before by one of the Yuen clan(not Yuen Jo Tong). I hope I do not see a change in lineage charts after this on certain websites I posted before.

This was exactly what the argument was about, that the descendants of each lineage would have problems between each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5njdTJvxnA
    Last edited by Shadow_warrior8; 08-18-2010 at 02:37 AM.
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

Fung elder states that Leung Jan had children, officially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92HZ...eature=channel

well being a legend or not a legend is subjective.

but just ask yourself when ip man tong was built (2002). there are no stories of ip man in fatsan, except for the ones created by the movie in which it is acknowledged as fiction

actually, ip man had went to japan to study for a while, so he knew a little japanese. it was because of this that he was hired by the japanese invaders to translate for them.

so ip man was more like the cop in the first movie than the ip man in the first movie.

the richest man in fatsan who lazily trains KF? That sounds more like yuen kay san. yuen's father owned the entire firework industry in fatsan. he never worked a day in his life. all he did was practice KF. his father paid huge sums of gold and silver to fung siu ching for training

ip man's dad was an opium boat captain.
    Ip Man went to Japan? And worked as a japanese translator? Are you calling him a traitor? In those times, my grandmother would hate the japanese, all the chinese at that time did. Any one helping the japanese back then was seen as a traitor.

I am seeing my sigung and sifu in sep, all this I will have an official statement.

This is world changing news and that his father was a boat captain etc... I heard Yuen was a lawyer and back in those days it mean a great deal.

Donnie yen clearly stated he spend a long time studying the life of Ip Man, you implying he was like the police guy smacked around as a translator is clearly off.

Either you are providing inside information from a source that is going to shock the world of wingchun in china, hongkong and the world or your source has been smoking something weird man.

Here is the official research from china. And it is extensive covering his family and his life
    http://baike.baidu.com/view/53376.htm
    From reports, Ip man was quite anti japanese occupation and had alot of nationalistic pride
    Last edited by Shadow_warrior8; 08-18-2010 at 02:52 AM.

Setting the record straight
    First line says very he was from a "Big family" as in wealthy and influential. He only studied in Stephens, which in those days meant he had alot of money to be studying in prestigious western school.
    Yip Man’s real name was Yip Ki Man. He was a native city of Foshan in Canton, China. He was the second child born in the family, living on Fook Yin Road in the Mulberry Gardens of Foshan. His is a well-known family in that area. Next door to his house is a famous Teahouse of Foshan, Tou Yun Gue. Also next door is a famous bakery, Gow Hing Long. The houses of Mulberry Gardens are very big, and the "Ip" Mulberry Gardens itself is very large and well known in Foshan.

叶问(1893-1972年),本名叶继问,是广东佛山的大族富家子弟。叶问从小受到家庭严谨的儒家教育。 从7岁起便拜“咏春拳王”梁赞的高足陈华顺(人称华公)为师学习咏春拳。自收叶问为徒后,陈华顺则不再接受 任何人士拜门学技,叶问成为陈华顺封门弟子。华公逝世后,叶问再随师兄吴仲素钻研拳技。叶问十六岁那年,赴 港求学外文,就读于圣士提反学校。后随梁壁(梁赞之子)学武。1950年赴香港,在港九饭店职工总会内传授 咏春拳术。其弟子中最出名的是让中国武术闻名世界的武打巨星李小龙。 另有相关电影以此为名。

早年生活
      叶问(1893年10月1日—1972年12月1日),佛山桑园叶族人。叶问入选中国世界纪录协会世界 咏春拳第一人。祖籍为南海罗村联星潭头村人,其父亲因避“红头军”之乱,才搬往佛山桑园居住。在七岁时,便 拜师入陈华顺门下(陈华顺,为南海拳王梁赞的得意弟子,入门前以钱银找换业为生,人称之为找钱华)。当时陈 华顺年事已高,与叶问年龄相差四十岁之多,故叶问也以华公相称,而陈华顺对此年幼弟子极为疼爱,自收叶问为 徒后,则不再接受任何人士拜门学技,叶问成为陈华顺封门弟子,各年长师兄如吴仲素、陈汝棉、雷汝齐等,对此 年幼师弟,更是照顾有加。华公逝世后,叶问再随师兄吴仲素钻研拳技。到叶问十六岁那年,远离佛山,赴港求学 外文,就读于圣士提反(Stephen 更好翻译为“圣斯德望”因为此词系天主教一圣人名)学校。后随梁壁(梁赞之子)学武。1950年赴香港,在 港九饭店职工总会内传授咏春拳术,从而一举成名。成为真正的功夫良才、伟大的武术家。其徒弟除总会及分会的 会员、港九各地的中国工人外,还有在港的外国留学生。以一人之力,能把咏春拳推广到世界各地,故被门人推举 为一代宗师。叶问其本名为叶继问,是广东佛山人氏,在家族中排行第二,祖居于佛山福贤路,号称“桑园”,为 佛山一大家,桑园内占地甚广,大屋连绵达数条街位,大门在左侧,为佛山著名的茶楼(俗称港式饮茶)“桃园居 ”,隔邻为全佛山最著名的饼食店“公兴隆”,该店以芝麻饼见称。“桑园叶姓”在佛山,可说是无人 不知。   中国人在此年代,就被外国人看做东亚病夫,一次叶问经过公园入口处,看到写着:“华人与狗不得入内”的 告示牌,叶问为了民族正义,跳起一脚把告示牌踢了个粉碎,为中国争一口气。还有一次叶问看见七八个外国海员 当街欺辱妇女,一向喜欢打抱不平叶问上前制止,与七八个外国大汉战在一处,但双拳难敌四手,不到几个回合就 渐落下风,就在此时一个青年人大喊一声,挤入围观的人群,同叶问一同合战外国大汉,最终打得七八个外国人人 仰马翻,落荒而逃,此青年人正是梁赞之子梁壁。   得知眼前的正是咏春大师梁赞之子,叶问当即拜其为师,因而有缘再随梁壁深造咏春拳技,转眼过了两三年时 光,叶问因不断得到梁壁指点,使咏春拳技能臻入化境。   还有一种说法,叶问当初遇见梁壁,是因为梁壁找到叶问,要求与他比武,但无论叶问如何进攻都被他一一化 解。叶问一问,方知原来这是师叔梁壁。   民国初年,被誉为中国四大镇的佛山,每年都流行“秋色”游行盛会,以展示特殊的民族手艺,每年游行都是 人山人海,更有来自外乡游客。   展示咏春拳在一次的“秋色”游行中,叶问与其表妹数人共观“秋色”游行,突有一当时的军阀排长对其表妹 做出不礼貌行为,当时叶问身穿长衫,薄底礼绒鞋,甚似王孙公子打扮,而且体形并不高大,斯文一表,望似可欺 负,对方便是色胆包天,上前欲对其表妹动手动脚。这时,却被叶问突然标身进步,以惯用的咏春拳手法,来个摊 打齐发,即见对方当场应身倒地,一向欺压百姓的地方军阀,却突然败在一个斯文书生手下,哪肯咽下这口气,更 是恶向胆边生,起身拔枪,当时的叶问,一个转马泻身来了个迅雷不及掩耳的手法,握住对方的左轮手枪,并以其 大拇指的力量,直压左轮手枪的转轮,竟然把左轮手枪轻芯压曲,使其不能发射。在日军攻占佛山后,叶问的过人 功夫,早被日本宪兵队闻悉,欲邀请担任宪兵队的中国武术指导被拒之后,指派武术高手与叶问比武,言明若叶问 被打败则听命差使,叶问在无法拒绝的情况下,只好接受比武,来者却是身材高壮,拳重马健,叶问摆出咏春桩手 ,二字钳羊马,目视对方,却一言不发,诱待兵来将挡,对方抢先出手,以箭标马进迫,叶问即变前锋的桩手为耕 手,耕去对方箭,并同时转身跪马,拿正对方前腿之后膝位,迫使对方突然失去重心,对方虽未中招,却是败相毕 露,叶问也及时收马,一声承让,跳出比武画地,真是高手过招,点到为止。事后,叶问在众人的掩护下逃走,而 这场比武由于时间极短,被人戏称为“不到一分钟”。比武后的叶问,担心激怒日本军阀,暂离佛山,但却暗助我 敌后工作行动开展,抗日战争胜利后,叶问虽有一身武功,却放弃设馆授徒,在县府刑事单位任职,担负除暴安良 工作,曾亲手侦破佛山沙坊之劫案,并在升平路升平戏院内亲擒劫匪,更得上级赏识,在广州市担任南区巡逻队长 一职。   1949年,叶问来到香港,由好友李民之推介,认识饭店公会理事长梁相,梁相也是武术爱好者,可说是武 林中人,曾习龙形摩桥,得知叶问为咏春拳陈华顺门人,即行拜师学技,并请叶问在九龙深水的大街饭店公会公开 传授,当时除李民、梁相外,尚有骆耀以及其外甥卢文锦等,不到十人,而李民与叶问早已是世好,可说是亦师亦 友,以后有叶步青、徐尚田......等相继投入,由于求技者日渐增加,当时投入学技的,以九龙巴士同人为 最,由于求学咏春拳技连绵不断,为了有更大的空间和场地,叶问再三迁换场地于九龙利达街、李郑屋村、九龙兴 业大厦,并分出晚间若干时段,到香港荷李活道执教,使咏春拳技推遍九港九每个角落。近来在中国福建南安又有 以咏春拳为基础发展成为自成体系的[鹤拳道]。
    Last edited by Shadow_warrior8; 08-18-2010 at 03:26 AM.