Thread: looking for a back issue of KFM

looking for a back issue of KFM

Hey all,

I was told there is an issue of KF Magazine from 98 or 99 that lists the top 100 martial families from China. I looked through the back issues section from those two years but didnt see anything. Might anyone be able to shed light on which issue it is?
    "Kung Fu is hard work" - my Sifu

That's probably our Millennium issue

Our 2000 January cover story was From Shaolin Temple to Bruce Lee - 100 Kungfu Styles of the Past Millenium. It described 100 different styles of kung fu.

We also did a follow-up article at the end of the year. Our 2000 December issue featured Kungfu's top 100 Weapons of the Millennium: From Shaolin staffs to Bruce Lee's Nunchuku.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks very much Gene! I was told that my Sigung's family style was listed in this issue.

Much appreciated!!

What style is that?

Styles are often named by the family especially in taiji ie: Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun, etc. You see some of that in the external styles too, like Mok Gar, Li Gar or Choy Gar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I practice Toisan White Crane, a blending of Tibetan White Crane and Choy Lay Fut. My Sigung Ruhu Zhu practiced 'Zhu Family Style' from his father from the age of either 5 or 7. At age 14, he started to study our White Crane Kung Fu. I was told by my Sifu that 'Zhu Family Style' had been listed somewhere in the 70's on your list in the issue aforementioned. My Sigung passed away earlier this year and I am just trying to find any kind of mention or history of our style and our Sigung. I am also very new to the KF world and am just trying to figure all this stuff out in earnest. I might have to start taking some courses in Chinese too. If you have any light to shed on this topic I would be eternally in your debt. Seems my Sigung was sort of a quiet fellow. I only have to go on what my Sifu recalls from his days training under my Sigung.

Our school website is http://www.whitecrane.ws/.

That's an unusual one.

I've never even seen Zhu style. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact reference where we got that for this piece, but there is a general bibliography in the article.

We numbered the styles in a somewhat chronological order in that article.
    #44. He Quan (Crane)
    #65. Choy Lay Fut page 58.
    #87. Zhu Jia Quan page 65.

Hope that issue is helpful for your research. If I think of anything more, I'll let you know. You're catching me late on a Friday (Friday the 13th no less) so my brain has already slipped into weekend mode...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips