Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close is too close?

How close is too close?

So...I'm walking into Safeway up here in Portland OR and this big black truck seems to speed up to the crosswalk and brakes right in front of me. So I flash him a, "what the F are you doing," look. He does a head motion towards me and I then walk inside thinking nothing of it. Next thing I know this guy is stalking me inside the store and menacingly starts coming towards me. This guy was huge! He had tattoos of some Chinese kanji on his huge arms suggesting he was a martial artist or some MMA bonehead. He says something like, "I let you walk and you flash me a f***ing look!! Fu*k you!!" After finding myself backed up against a fruit stand and repeatedly telling him to, "get the fu*k away from me man," and him getting right up in my face, I pushed him. He tried to shoot in and take me down but I managed to stay just out of reach. He tried jabbing but I was still sidestepping and backing up, parrying his arm. Thankfully, that and me putting up my guard fully expecting I would soon be brawling in Safeway, made him back down (after some expletives and feinting like he was going to attack again).

I guess I need to get this off my chest because I'm still wondering if I was slightly in the wrong for initially pushing the guy. My martial arts is for defense! But I still can't help feeling I was justified because this guy was flexing right up on me. I try to make it my philosophy to never strike first but in that moment I was in danger of either getting punched or kneed in the balls, having my crown knocked out, or worse!! It was definitely a self-defense situation. When someone is that out for blood and there's absolutely no reasoning with them, hitting first and asking questions later seems justified.

I guess I made up for initiating the physical part of our conflict by avoiding him and his friend waiting for me in their truck out in the parking lot. Luckily I saw them first and I walked the other way going down a side street back to the house. A guy like that is not to be taken lightly. He could have been some ex-military tweeker with a gun (he had a crazy look in his eye) or some kind of Nazi. This sucks, I guess I'm making enemies up here in Portland.
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 08-15-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

r u sexy womans
    say yes pls

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Your first mistake was pushing him. If you can't de-escalate the situation verbally or let your ego go and just simply walk away; if you choose to attack do so with conviction. Pushing is for kids on playgrounds.

I saw a video today on You Tube. unfortunately I do not have the link. A man who claimed Jesus taught him Kungfu was at a Karate Studio. One of the Karate students decided to make an example of the Kungfu guy. The "Master" was the one video taping the incident. The Kungfu guy obviously did not want to fight, and did not know what he was doing anyway. He had very little skill and was doing random movements it seemed he made up as he went along, and was obvioulsy a little off in the head. He kept telling the Karate guy he did not want to hit him. The Karate guy (a black belt) beat him down, the kungfu guy got in a couple good kicks which he shouldnt have got if the guy was a black belt... But anyways, the Karate guy beat the kungfu guy down, and started stomping his head and neck. You could tell the Kungfu guy had a busted windpipe by the way he was breathing. Another student drug the Kungfu guy out by his feet leaving a trail of blood. Afterwords the "Master" filmed the trail of blood talking about how his student beat a Kungfu Master praising him. In the caption it said the Kungfu guy was found dead in a dumpster the next day. The Karate "Master" posted the video on his facebook or myspace, I forget which, and someone saw it and decided to press charges...

The point of that long drawn out story is we have to be careful. Sometimes what the mainstream considers "Wu De" is not the proper course. Your actions are your actions. Sometimes it is possible to walk away or talk your way out of it, but when you felt cornered by his aggressiveness, you pushed, there was no way to take that back. Who is to say your actions were wrong? Thats just what happened. Once he tried to shoot on you, or throw a punch, my personal opinion is you should've taken that as a threat to your life and acted accordingly. Luckily he backed down, but what if he didnt?... Either way, what happened happened. Just my 2 cents.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

sorry new to the forum. Didnt get on the computer much till recently... Just used that video to make a point.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    no biggie.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I was taught that if you warn someone not to enter your personal space and they still do, then you have the right (and the imperative) to take action to protect yourself.
    A push might not have been the best choice of technique, but it's hard to think clearly in those moments. (Seems like an ideal time for Chin Na if you're confident enough to use it).
    Good for you for avoiding further trouble and getting out while you could...stupid people can be very dangerous. (Especially if their friends are with them).
    I wouldn't worry too much about making enemies...guy probably gets in so many conflicts he'll forget all about this in a few days.

a moment like this

walk away

oops,

these are titles of songs from kelly clarkson.

If walking away doesn't work, don't half-ass it. Bring the guy down.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

i live in portland too. im almost not suprised he bailed when u put up guard. portland does have a ton of mouthboxers like that. but you never know what someone is capable of. it is what it is, he probably didnt want to be punked in front of his friend so went to have words. saw he would have to solo you in the store so went out where he had back up. pretty common pu$$ ass mind set, i hate losers like that.

if u get a stalker i got ur back yo.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

"Kick his as**s Seabass!!"

In all seriousness, there is a time to fight and a time to walk away, if for no other reason than keeping yourself from being arrested. Sounds like the guy was a wack job or a mouth boxer. I think someone else said it but do one of two things, walk away or if you attack commit fully to it, stupid to push and do other childish things.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    That's some messed up stuff.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I don't think you did anything wrong by pushing him, he was being threatening and aggressive...he tried assaulting you, your martial skills protected you, you didn't get hurt and walked away. You certainly could have or should have called the police when you them waiting for you outside...even going the other way could have put you in jeopardy.

Just remember his tattoos can't do his fighting for him!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I don't think you did anything wrong by pushing him, he was being threatening and aggressive...he tried assaulting you, your martial skills protected you, you didn't get hurt and walked away. You certainly could have or should have called the police when you them waiting for you outside...even going the other way could have put you in jeopardy.

Just remember his tattoos can't do his fighting for him!
    really? Tell it to my magician. Because my tattoos come to life, do my dirty work and then go back to hiding out in 2D on my body.
    Kung Fu is good for you.