Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Islamic Cultural Center/Muslim Mosque near ground Zero

Islamic Cultural Center/Muslim Mosque near ground Zero

Should we allow the first amendment to inform our judgment or our prejudice?

There seems to be many issues of late where people are confusing the U.S.A. for a direct democracy, where popular opinion is the highest authority, mob rule. In fact the U.S.A. is a republic where is highest authority is the rule of law.

What does the law say?

Should we change the law because we want to suppress the rights of people who are superficially similar to other people who are ****ing us off?

What is America about freedom or oppression?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I personally think this story is there to gauge the American public's acceptance of continued war on Islam.

If enough people hate having a mosque blocks away from the hole in the ground that was formerly the WTC, then it stands to reason that the military industrial complex of the USA can continue to shoot arabs without having to worry too much about the enemy within.

Not a peep would be said about a synagogue or a church being built, so why is main stream media making this the big issue that it really isn't?

Because it generates revenue to do so and it serves an agenda of imperialist war mongering.

Pretty simple. I mean you can dressit up with all teh academia and arguments you want I guess, but it's just intolerance to not allow it, provocative to allow it and no one will deal with the actual hard questions while they play with stupid games and questions like this.

I call distraction and gauge of acceptance to continue occupation.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Agreed, after having some initial mixed feelings about this, I believe its the right thing to do. President Obama's speech about this was spot on and I applaud him for it. We are at war with Al Queda, not Islam, now if it was an Al Queda cultural center...that would be a different story and an oxymoron. By the way there is already a mosque in the area. We are a nation that guarantees freedom of religion and lets continue to honor that.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

White House Says Politics Not a Factor in Decision to Enter Mosque Debate

Most Americans think the group planning the mosque and Islamic cultural center has the right to build it, according to a Fox News poll released Friday. However, the poll showed that 64 percent think it would be wrong to build it, regardless of whether the developers are within their right to do so.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

This just in and quite awesome I might add:

so first, bwahahahahahahahahahaha, and now....

Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't think it is the government's right to weigh in on this. ESPECIALLY not the federal government.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I don't think it is the government's right to weigh in on this. ESPECIALLY not the federal government.
    Well, they don't get to decide if that's what you mean, ultimately New Yorkers will decide...but this is a special circumstance because how the country feels about 9/11. There are the 1st Amendment rights to consider. The President and the other Congressmen can weigh in should they choose to.

It would be just as sensitive if the Japanese had tried to build a cultural center and shrine in Pearl Harbor right after WWII. I'm sure there would be some resistance to that as well.

Why don't the Feds get to weigh in?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Well, they don't get to decide if that's what you mean, ultimately New Yorkers will decide...but this is a special circumstance because how the country feels about 9/11. There are the 1st Amendment rights to consider. The President and the other Congressmen can weigh in should they choose to.

It would be just as sensitive if the Japanese had tried to build a cultural center and shrine in Pearl Harbor right after WWII. I'm sure there would be some resistance to that as well.

Why don't the Feds get to weigh in?
    Ten years later and not even actually AT ground zero? Why not? Or are we going to go out on a limb and say Islam attacked the US? Because if every Muslim DID actually wage war on the US, it'd be a bad day for me.

Feds can't weigh in because they already gave those powers up to the States. They have absolutely no power over how the state of NY handles its business. And even if they did, which they don't, they would be blatantly defying the Constitution.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

________

Pretty much sums it up. Gingrich, Palin, the tea partyers, THEY ALL NEED TO STFU AND READ THE FU**ING CONSTITUTION.

If we're willing to give up our most basic right as Americans by not allowing the Mosque to be built means Al Queda won!

For years liberals have used the court system to attack religious prcatices, and now they suddenly are defending the rights of religious practicioners. They have sued to keep the 10 Commandments out of schools and out of courthouses. They have sent children home from public schools for wearing crosses, they sue to have nativity scenes removed from public places, etc. They have called the Bible a book of hate, but they defend the Koran. I'm also surprised the National Organization of Women isn't up in arms considering the horrible ways Muslims treat women.

But hey, if this is ok lets allow the Japanese to build a Shinto temple at Pearl Harbor. Let's also allow the Michigan Militia to build a church at the Oklahoma City bombing site.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Amendment 1

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

________

Pretty much sums it up. Gingrich, Palin, the tea partyers, THEY ALL NEED TO STFU AND READ THE FU**ING CONSTITUTION.

If we're willing to give up our most basic right as Americans by not allowing the Mosque to be built means Al Queda won!
    The only problem is that "peaceably to assemble" part. It's been proven that terrorists are often recruited and meet to plan terroroist acts at mosques. We have arrested, tried, and convicted clerics/imams who were using their mosques for that very purpose. Omar Abdel-Rahman is a prime example. Were it not for the religion factor, you could argue that using RICO statutes against these nutjobs would be called for.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    For years liberals have used the court system to attack religious prcatices, and now they suddenly are defending the rights of religious practicioners. They have sued to keep the 10 Commandments out of schools and out of courthouses. They have sent children home from public schools for wearing crosses, they sue to have nativity scenes removed from public places, etc. They have called the Bible a book of hate, but they defend the Koran. I'm also surprised the National Organization of Women isn't up in arms considering the horrible ways Muslims treat women.

But hey, if this is ok lets allow the Japanese to build a Shinto temple at Pearl Harbor. Let's also allow the Michigan Militia to build a church at the Oklahoma City bombing site.
    What does separation of church and state have to do with this? If anything, it supports the logic that a mosque can be built. I'd oppose Islam in the school system the same as I would Christianity being there. Religion has no place in schools or government. If a town wants a church on every corner, then that's their right.

Are you working on a logical fallacy here? Sure sounds like it.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

The only problem is that "peaceably to assemble" part. It's been proven that terrorists are often recruited and meet to plan terroroist acts at mosques. We have arrested, tried, and convicted clerics/imams who were using their mosques for that very purpose. Omar Abdel-Rahman is a prime example. Were it not for the religion factor, you could argue that using RICO statutes against these nutjobs would be called for.
    Islam itself is not a terrorist organization. If every muslim waged war on the US, it'd be a very bad day. Should we also say that all Christians are bad because of what McVeigh did?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Should we also say that all Christians are bad because of what McVeigh did?
    No. But of course you can't show us pictures of Christians cheering in the streets when McVeigh bombed that building. Nor can you find Christians preaching that there will be more McVeighs and that he is a martyr who is enjoying 99 virgins in Paradise. We rightly called him a murderer, and we didn't send his family money like Muslims often do for the families of suicide bombers.

No. But of course you can't show us pictures of Christians cheering in the streets when McVeigh bombed that building. Nor can you find Christians preaching that there will be more McVeighs and that he is a martyr who is enjoying 99 virgins in Paradise. We rightly called him a murderer, and we didn't send his family money like Muslims often do for the families of suicide bombers.
    Some fringe groups believe he did the right thing. Again, you are blanketing ALL muslims based on the actions of a very remote few. There are millions of muslims in the US, and I don't recall hearing anything from condemnation from them regarding terrorist actions. Should they all be judged by the actions of others? Should we dare try to discriminate based off of a religion? What kind of precedent would THAT set?
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown