Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public Statement from WHFYWCKFA

Public Statement from WHFYWCKFA

I would like to share this post here to help address an increasing and ongoing 'issue' with misrepresentation of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun system as being 'Red Flag" (TWC has also been included in these misrepresentations).
    This posting is a only from the Hung Fa Yi position:
    http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2999

After reading this statement, I did a quick google search and found several examples of the deliberate misleading/misrepresentations of Hung Fa Yi being 'red flag'. Here is one of them:
    http://mengsmartialarts.com/forum/in...d6e&topic=38.0
    (also note this posting was edited a year after it was originally put up)

Here is the original post for this workshop which was written by Allen Kong of the Hung Fa Yi World HQ in San Francisco.
    http://www.hfy108.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2707

As can clearly be seen, Allen's original write-up has no mention of this "Red Flag" BS. This is a clear example of a someone intentionally changing this posting by removing the words Hung Fa Yi and deliberately replacing them with Red Flag.
    I don't know how many times it has to be said by HFY members: HUNG FA YI IS NOT RED FLAG!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-16-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Oh, that Benny, what a prankster!

for·ger·y   [fawr-juh-ree, fohr-] Show IPA
    –noun, plural -ger·ies.

the crime of falsely making or altering a writing by which the legal rights or obligations of another person are apparently affected; simulated signing of another person's name to any such writing whether or not it is also the forger's name.

the production of a spurious work that is claimed to be genuine, as a coin, a painting, or the like.

something, as a coin, a work of art, or a writing, produced by forgery.

an act of producing something forged.

Archaic . invention; artifice.

We would like to begin by clarifying that the WHFWCKFA cannot speak for the TWC Association's position
    Um, there is more than one TWC association.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Really? C'mon, I think you know what was mean't there.
    But, I'll correct it to make it very simple for you... HFY doesn't speak for ANY other Wing Chun Associations (including ALL of TWC's, however many there may be)
    But that's really not the point of the post anyway..
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

But, I'll correct it to make it very simple for you... HFY doesn't speak for ANY other Wing Chun Associations (including ALL of TWC's, however many there may be)
    If you are are going to get all uppity about being accurately represented, then practise what you preach.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

If you are are going to get all uppity about being accurately represented, then practise what you preach.
    I'm not going to get into this with you, you're making a big deal over the misplacement of an friggin appostrophy. I'm sure William (who wrote the original post that I linked too) didn't purposely mean to mislead or misrepresent anyone from TWC by writing association's vs. associations'. I can't really speak for him but I'm betting he did't even know that TWC has more that one association when he wrote that (I sure didn't until you brought it up). It was most likely an honest mistake, I'll let him know about it. Thanks for the clarification
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 08-16-2010 at 08:50 PM.

I actually wasn't aware of this. The only TWC I'm aware of is represented by Sifus Redmond and Parlatti here. Does Sifu Spain represent another association?

At any rate, in all probability TWC doesn't identify with the "Red Flag" stuff either, it's just that the HFY secretary was trying to be polite and not speak for another WC family.

I actually don't completely understand what the significance of all this is, but suspect it has to do with the red/black flag groups in China currently being associated with the triads and criminal elements. So misrepresenting that history could have an impact on image. You guys correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Oh, that Benny, what a prankster!
    The defence entered a plea of insanity.

Did this red flag business get started to make HFY sound more exciting and dangerous?

The way I read the "Red Flag" business was that it was a retro-fit of the HFY history in order to subsume it into the "new" Black Flag Eng Chun history.

Like Terence says it is quite a prank, but no one in HFY is laughing.

I did a quick google search and found these links

Wing Chun Article
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAyBn7Laic8

Some views on Wing Chun - Refuting the ulterior motive of the believers
    http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88994

I have always assumed that these histories are somewhat made up. IMO Meng isn't doing anything new as much as had made the mistake of contradicting other people's oral traditions.

I will say that we need to be careful about "official" Chinese history. Certainly a lot of it is undeniable truth, but China is run by tyrannical communists who like to control the flow of information. In some ways, "official" history only goes so far.

I'm not going to get into this with you, you're making a big deal over the misplacement of an friggin appostrophy.
    Apostrophe. And you need one after "friggin".

It was most likely an honest mistake
    I'm sure it was. I pointed it out. The secretary and you are welcome.

The only TWC I'm aware of is represented by Sifus Redmond and Parlatti here. Does Sifu Spain represent another association?
    Yes. the WWCKFA has had a fair number of people leave over the decades, some of whom have set up their own associations. Sifu Spain's association has schools in Australia and Europe. There may be others in the same position.

(I doubt he cares whether Benny wants to call him "red flag" or anything else. I haven't heard Phil. Victor or GM Cheung getting much upset about it either)

(I doubt he cares whether Benny wants to call him "red flag" or anything else. I haven't heard Phil. Victor or GM Cheung getting much upset about it either)
    These people better be careful or I will be forced to open up a can of THIS!