Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expendables II

The Expendables II

Sylvester Stallone talks 'Expendables' sequel
    Actor tells THR he's ready to mint another film franchise
    By Carl DiOrio
    Aug 15, 2010, 02:07 PM ET

At the cusp of a fifth decade of action-movie mayhem, Sylvester Stallone says his No. 1 opening with "The Expendables" ranks among his top career thrills. The muscle-bound multihyphenate chewed the fat with THR's Carl DiOrio about the successful launch of the Lionsgate-distributed picture, which follows the exploits of a group of foreign mercenaries featuring some of the past decades' biggest action stars.

THR: So "The Expendables" opened bigger than anything else you have directed. It seems you're still setting personal bests.

Stallone: I didn't do this all by myself. It was a movie about teamwork, and the team helped make it a success. I always say that if you are a star -- even a faded star -- the light never goes out. You just need to rekindle it.

THR: Have you written a script for a sequel to 'The Expendables'?

Stallone: It's plotted out in my mind's eye. I believe this group has to continue to evolve; it just can't become the same people. So how do you get new people introduced into the group, and how do you have some of the other people leaving? Those are the challenges.

THR: So the challenges remain, eh?

Stallone: My proudest moment ever was not "Rocky," it was the last Rocky picture, "Rocky Balboa." To be able to meet the challenge of completing that series after all these years, that was great. But this one here tops that -- not in an emotional way but for excitement. This should have never happened. (Producer) Avi Lerner really took a big gamble on me with this when nobody else would. I know because I heard about it every day! He kept worrying about the reviews.

THR: 'The Expendables' was never going to be a critical darling.

Stallone: Most action films tend to rub people the wrong way. This is not to disparage critics, but the more physical and brutal an action film is, the least well it is received. It's actually a barometer I use. That, and how many times I hurt myself.

THR: Things turned out well enough though.

Stallone: I never thought we would win this weekend, as we were up against some tough competition. I told Lionsgate and (CEO) Jon Feltheimer and Avi that I'm so grateful how those guys just dug in. Lionsgate hung tough and opened the purses. The campaign worked because it was honest. What you saw in the campaign was what you got. This movie is pure escapism. You just buckle up and enjoy a rocket ship ride down memory lane.
    There's already rumors of adding JCVD & Seagal to the cast.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i doubt either woukd join in...

but you never know...stallone and jcvd already had some bad words over it. with stallone calling him crazy and jcvd said all stallone talked about was money and not what character he would play.

I'm too good to be Expendable

Maybe you're right, Doug. JCVD should stick to films like JCVD now.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010
    Van Damme refused to lose to Li in Expendables fight
    By WENN.COM
    Last Updated: August 17, 2010 9:01am

Jean-Claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone’s all-star action film The Expendables, because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li.

Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but Universal Soldier star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.

Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet.

"He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humour."

Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in The Expendables - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

kurt russell was also offered a role, but turned it down cause he felt (rightly so) that there wouldnt be enough screen time with all the actors involved.

If they could get him, I think Seagal would make a good villain in Pt. 2.

its not if they can get him...cause they dont want him..stallone thinks both him and van damme are nuts.

i think jcvd would beat jet li in a real fight so i can understand it, as a martial artist, but as an actor its completely different.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I always thought William Forsythe played good villains, but I don't think he'd be considered a choice by Stallone, at least not as a main villain. It would be hilarious if Chuck Norris played the villain (doesn't even have to be a fighting villain, either). They could play on all the Chuck Norris jokes, and if they did it subtley, but still made him this super-bad@$$, it might work. I'm sure Chuck wouldn't do it, though.

What you talking 'bout Willis?

Sorry, couldn't resist that title....

Aug 30 2010 12:40 PM ET
    Reasons why Bruce Willis should do 'The Expendables' sequel
    by Mandi Bierly
    Categories: Middle-Aged Butt-Kicking, Movies

The-ExpendablesSylvester Stallone is moving forward with plotting a sequel to The Expendables, which has now grossed an estimated $82 million domestically. According to his Twitter page*, he’s busy thinking of the most dangerous places to set the film and trying to talk Bruce Willis into playing its super villain. Reasons why Bruce should say yes:

1. The Expendables ($35 million) outperformed 2007′s Live Free or Die Hard in its opening weekend ($33 million), and Live Free or Die Hard was Willis’ best live-action, non-cameo opening weekend since 1998′s Armageddon ($36 million). Moral: Audiences like to see Bruce Willis blow sh– up, and Stallone will most definitely hand him a detonator (or 20).

2. As much as we like the young guns in The Expendables, there was a different kind of electricity when Stallone and Willis shared the screen. They are equals. And that makes for a good antagonist.

3. We’ve already established that Bruce’s character in the Expendables world is bald. We like him bald.

4. We’ve been trained to root for Bruce in action films. Having to root against him — interesting.

5. If this kind of ensemble movie doesn’t live up to expectations, fans will be disappointed (see: 2004′s Ocean’s Twelve), but we will get over it (see: George Clooney’s career since then). You’ve really got nothing to lose. Have fun, Bruce. Go play with Sly in some jungle.

Feel free to add to the list below.

* Sly’s follow list is the world’s eighth wonder: In addition to Harry Knowles, Steve Austin, Jon Favreau, and Bill O’Reilly (all understandable), there’s Howie Mandel and Kim Kardashian.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OMG, that would totally be awesome. Willis, Seagal, Van could team up as the bad guys but how about Mr Terminator?

There's 4 people that Sly needs to get onboard if he wants the second Expendables to be as successful as the first. Leo Fong, Ron Van Clief, Brigitte Nielson and Richard Harrison.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

How's about Jim Kelly, John Saxon and Pam Grier?

Jim Kelly is definitely due for a comeback. Last time time I saw him was in Undercover Brother. Saxon and Grier are a bit too high profile, at least for what I'm looking for. I'm thinking more along the lines of Dale Cook and Eric Lee.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Then Richard Norton and Cynthia Rothrock! Anthony DeLongis would be cool as a co-villain, kinda like Steve Austin was. And Benny Urquidez, which would mean a fight between Jet Li and "The Jet."

Jet vs The Jet. BRILLIANT!!!