Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Rasta - the 37th Chamber

No mention of Barrington Levy in the article...

Released the album "Shaolin Temple" in 1979.

http://www.roots-archives.com/release/4498

Come on now

Quote Originally Posted by XinKuzi View Post
    No mention of Barrington Levy in the article...
    The article was by no means meant to be a comprehensive history of the connection of reggae and kung fu. It was just intro to set up the interview with Ziggy.

As a side note: in my 1999 September cover story, Hip Hop Fist: Wu-Tang Clan's RZA and his Sifu, Shaolin Monk Shi Yan Ming, I included a sidebar 'Kung Fu on Disc'. The singles were mostly reggae, including two songs titled Shaolin Temple, one by Jah Grundy and the other by Trinity. This was, of course, old school research, prior to wikipedia. I can't find either online in a very cursory search, but here's more grist for the mill.

Prince Jammy - Shaolin Temple

jah grundy - shaolin disciples

Here's Beenie working the Shaolin Temple riddem:
    Beenie - Man Drama {Shaolin Temple Riddim} (Delly Ranx)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Check out mi avatar!

Dat's Barrington Shaolin Temple as my avatar, Xin kuzi (new pants?) But anyway here are a few

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWNdSLJ_ji8

(Now that's a badass album cover, nuh true?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uo9K78MaYU

Then there's this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSOgQU6bq0
    (Don't know if any of unu know this brother, but he sportin locks & he's pretty good)

and, finally somethin silly but maybe relevant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5gi0Lo9uzU
    Yeah that Beanie vs. Bounty ting again! Got to admit, that's clever!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Do you mean this doc, Blacktiger?

Ziggy Marley on MARLEY and the Shaolin Rasta
    Oh man that is great - nice work Gene!

Totally missed that.

Kung Fu Meets The Dragon - all time classic.

Big up!!

That Dutty Bwoy vid was bashment!

BTW, here's the official site for MARLEY.

I mean wat I seh t'all di Shaolin Rasta. See it or you're out of the club.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not yet but will check it shortly...

Kung Fu and Reggae - I mean...what else do you need

Training, Reggae, training, Reggae, training Red Stripe...

Shaolin Rasta tune of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTBxb...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 04-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Catch Ziggy on Leno last night?

Here's the link to the full episode (only available until 05/12/12). Follow the link to the vid and skip to the last line on the time counter. He did Is This Love.

Ziggy and I talked a little more after I turned my recorder off. He 'mean what he seh' when he talks about fitness. Ziggy is in good shape... "only the fittest of the fittest shall survive". He asked me about wing chun because he was interested in studying it, mostly out of his admiration of Bruce Lee. He also said he used to read our magazine every once in a while, but hadn't picked up a copy in some time. I wished I had brought one for him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

[QUOTE=Shaolin Rasta;1167628]Hey bredda Sloan, Wha bout dis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsQsCyAxA8U

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND!! !!!!!
    "All Art Is Martial." - RZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5gi0Lo9uzU
    Yeah that Beanie vs. Bounty ting again! Got to admit, that's clever![/QUOTE]

lmao- true story. back when the second series of soul rebellions rocked negril, we had to come out strong, like nuclear, in the face of a lot of people who wanted us to fail, and because of all the other stage shows going down. cutthroat things going on you see it.

week one was TOK.

week two, we did Beenie Man. Problem was, his manager forgot to put us on the calendar. Deposits were made, etc., contract, everything. And none would be the wiser except he rolled into Negril early for another huge stage show he was on and just happened to call us up like, yow mi bredren mi dehyah negril wha gwaaaaaaan!!!!!

So we were like, wtf, so early you reach? Anyway it came out that he had no idea what we were talking about because he had gotten last minute booked for a huge stage show down the road. That show was on the weekend, ours was the very next tuesday. Panic. We were fit to be tied. Some extra negotiations and we set it all right though.

Now this was the days before there was any real serious NY style flyering- I can honestly say my crew were the first to bring that into the scene there. The flyers went out like you wouldn't believe, but the real heavy gun on the street were the giant 8x12' full color banners we put up. People were stealing them and putting them up over their own spots, then some next man would come and thief that and put it up where HE wanted it lmao.

Anyway, the Beenie show was packed, and he gave an epic performance. I will dig up pics.

Now though, here comes the sweet blow, because unknown to anybody I booked Bounty Killer for the very next week.

And trust me, when THOSE posters and flyers hit, literally at sunrise the morning after the Beenie show, the hype was completely ridiculous. Fistfights were practically breaking out over who was going to draw the biggest crowd.

And as it turned out, the gate for Bounty was CORKED properly.

Now the truly hilarious thing is that at the Bounty show was a cop, known by a martial arts name, and true to form he nearly split his pants crescent kicking a perpetrator across his face at the gate who had dared to pickpocket the crowd at the Bounty show, whose compatriot broke free of the other officer's grasp, and who was actually man dressed as a woman, who left the cop standing there disguise in hand including a wig...

When the man's foot hit the perp's face, he could not believe a foot struck him so, the look on his face was priceless, and at the sight the other perp tore off, burst through the gate and was GONE lol.

BTW, here's the official site for MARLEY.

Saw it on the weekend. Enjoyed it not bad at all!

Cyaan tek my card!

Jus checked it out last night. It was great! Most of the footage and stories I have seen & heard before, but the clarity and color of the footage was much better than I had seen. Still, was great. Any of unu read the biography "Catch a Fire"?. I still love that because it goes into a lot more depth & detail bout Bob's life. I recommend reading it, even tho I think there was some controversy wit it. Don't fully remember.
    So, Gene, my standing is still good and intact!

Hey Yo!

Yes Bredda Sloan, mi see say yu well link in, mon! I start fe see wha de I a deal wid. Dats why I know you mussee love dat likkle clip of Beenie & Bounty!
    One day, one day mi bredren, I&I will link up. Maybe I will find myself in NYC, and pass thru, or better still, I&I will sight up a yard one a dem time deh. Always wanted to meet Shi Yanming. Bring my grandson out deh to tek in some trainin.(Me too!) Bless!

yes I, give tanks an praise!

we're getting set to INItiate some seriously heartical vibrations, this weekend I'm going to be dropping mad tunes at the new Upstate Temple's Livication Ceremony.

88.8 acres in the Catskills...pree the link on the usa shaolintemple dot org site!

this is going to change a lot of things.

Bt & SR remain Shaolin Rasta members in good standing

We'll give Richard a break as he's surely engaged with Yanming's big opening. Blessings there, btw. Wish I could be there with you all for that. Coincidentally, I was just watching 24, and Michelle Forbes was on, and I remember hanging out with her while staying with Yanming. Good times.

Anyway, Richard, take your time getting to see MARLEY. I'm sure you will see it eventually. Until then, we'll give you a by.

I hear what you're saying about the footage, SR. It's good to see that on the big screen again. Have you ever seen Roger Steffens do his Marley vid presentation? He's got some amazing footage that I've not seen anywhere else ever. And he's a true VJ - if you get into it and applaud wildly, he'll kick down the gems. And of course, I've read Catch a Fire (but then, I've read Garvey extensively as well as the Kebra Nagast).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

chek dis 1

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips