Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Rasta - the 37th Chamber

Props to Shaolin Rasta!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Aw shucks, man

Yeah, I'm still trippin' from that one! Honestly didn't expect anything like that. I just wanted the opportunity to test myself in front of some eminent masters of Shaolin Quan. I'm actually extremely humbled, because my fellow competitors were each great and showed a lot of power. I know I am very much still a work in progress (at my age even!) and I'm really only on the "skin", much less the flesh or the bone. So I give thanks. You know what I'm really honored by? Gene, you called me "our very own". Yeah mon! 'Nuff love Iya!! Gonna email you a couple a pictures today!
    Bless!
    Last edited by Shaolin Rasta; 06-16-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: missed a word

Big Up!

Great to hear

ttt 4 2013

I know, it's TKD, not Shaolin, but this popped up on my newsfeed today so I figured this thread needed a little JAH love.
    Jamaican makes history in martial arts

Sheckema Cunningham’s medal was her first European championship gold and she has become the only non-European and only black female participant to have achieved the feat.

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Wednesday January 23, 2013 - Jamaica’s sports minister Neita Headley has applauded Sheckema Cunningham a rising star in World Martial Arts who has created history.

Headley says Cunningham has placed Jamaica in the spotlight after capturing gold at the Dutch Open in Eindhoven, Netherlands over the weekend.

Cunningham’s medal was her first European championship gold and she has become the only non-European and only black female participant to have achieved the feat in the 750-strong line-up of competitors.

"Ms Cunningham has made Jamaica proud with her exceptional performance at the Dutch Open. I wish to commend her and the rest of the team, who worked long and hard to prepare for this event,” Headley said.

“This rising star has once again placed Jamaica in the spotlight and we are very happy to share in this glorious moment with her”.

Cunningham participated in the micro-weight division and defeated her Italian opponent in a close semi-final match before going on to defeat an opponent from Poland in the final.

In 2011, Cunningham along with Alrick Wanliss won bronze at the International Tae Kwon do Federation World Championships in New Zealand
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL - I had not been on the board for ages - I drop in and Shaolin Rasta has been dropping bombs - hahaha love it.

Auspicious.

It used to be the 'Shaolin Zone' for me. Now it's the Shaolin Rasta Zone. A friend just posted this on my fb.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow - give praise and thanks to Jah

'ear another

Again posted on facebook by one of my Dragon Crew who had to bail last weekend.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin rasta inna house!

It was great seeing SR at our tournament this year.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Made a facebook meme

This is from our 2014 Shaolin Special. It's been getting the funniest comments on facebook. My fav is "Needs haircut to look normal"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL --- nice!

Here's another

This is all we have for meme cards, but perhaps we'll get something more from SR himself.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Alborosie - Can't Cool

I luv Alborosie. I've seen him perform many times. Now I luv him even more.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I just saw Alborosie working at California Roots last weekend

But more amusing was our very own Shaolin Rasta slinging patois with Master Mimi Chan at a KFTC25 AF after party (if that doesn't make sense to you, you haven't seen Pui Chan: Kung Fu Pioneer - a documentary by Mimi Chan, and if you haven't seen that, you cyant call yourself Shaolin Rasta).

On top of all that, check this new PBS doc. It explains the Jamaican Chinese connection.
    Finding Samuel Lowe
    1:01:13Video duration: 1:01:13 Aired: 05/14/17 Expires: 06/13/17Rating: NRVideo has closed captioning.
    Paula Madison knew her mother was half Chinese, half Jamaican. Growing up in Harlem, she wondered about her Chinese grandfather, Samuel Lowe. When did he immigrate to the islands? Where did he go when he left? In "Finding Samuel Lowe," Madison embarks on a trip of a lifetime, tracing her grandfather back to his ancestral village – and finds she has a whole new family to embrace.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Drunken Kung Fu

Drunken Kung Fu blends rock, hip-hop, reggae into unique sound
    Corina Gutierrez • February 19, 2018 • Leave a Comment

Photo courtesy of Holly E. Renfro - H.E.R. Photography

From left, Sam Phelps, Jacob Gleason, and Matt Klee make up Drunken Kung Fu. The trio will return to Sac State Feb. 21.

Drunken Kung Fu, an “Afro-beat funk” trio, will be playing a free show at noon on Feb. 21 in the Redwood Room of The University Union.

The Sacramento-based band consists of three members: Jacob Gleason on guitar and saxophone, Sam Phelps on vocals and keys and Matt Klee, the drummer. It has played gigs as far as San Francisco, Las Vegas and Portland.

“We’ve always appreciated the support of Sac State,” Gleason said.

Having played on campus a handful of times before, he said the band is looking forward to coming back.

“There was a time I applied to Sac State but I didn’t have the foreign language requirement so they didn’t take me,” Gleason laughed.

The three met around 2009 while playing for other bands and have tried to develop a unique sound. While Drunken Kung Fu was nominated this year for a reggae Sammie (Sacramento Area Music Award), Gleason said that he doesn’t necessarily see the band as reggae.

“We keep things funky and danceable; we weave in and out of different genres: hip-hop, reggae, jam, classic rock, ’90s music — there’s a lot of different influences at play,” Gleason said. “We’re all jazz musicians so there’s a jazz overtone plus a rock ‘n’ roll rawness to how we play. We make big sound with three people.”

Because of their eclectic style, the dynamics between the three band members are often in flux and they are forced to improvise and make alterations on the fly.

As the lead singer, Phelps said he writes a lot of the music.

“I’ll bring a song to the table as a Sam Phelps song,” he said. “We’ll hash it out and turn it into a Drunken Kung Fu song.”

Phelps said everyone in the band has an equal say and the chemistry between the three is unique.

“There’s moments in our sets that are structured and moments of just jamming and looking at each other like, ‘This is awesome,’ ” Gleason said. “It’s a lot of fun to play with these guys; they’re not just always lost in their instruments like some bands can be.”

Leaving space for improvisation during their performances allows for the creativity to flow, Phelps said.

“We want to take people to a higher place with the energy; you can feel it in the room and just like, ravage and lift off,” Phelps said. “It’s always a risk, doesn’t always take off, but that’s our goal — that’s what it’s all about.”

Will Moon
    @MoonMan0305
    Sacramento-based funk band Drunken Kung Fu grooves in the University Union.

10:36 AM - Sep 6, 2017
    See Will Moon's other Tweets
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Even though Drunken Kung Fu typically identifies as an “Afro-beat” band, the trio incorporates many other styles and genres into their music.

“I think the music defies racial boundaries,” Gleason said in response to an inquiry about negative responses from crowds considering the group is an Afro-beat band with no people of color. “I don’t think any person should limit what they listen to or play based on the color of their skin.”

Gleason said the band talks about serious topics in some of their songs, such as politics and war.

“There is a heavy, revolutionary commentary on the political stuff going on,” Gleason said. “Overall, we take opposition on war; I consider myself a conscientious objector of war.”

Looking toward the future, Drunken Kung Fu has some new songs it plans to release soon as well as shows lined up for later in the year.

“We’re currently working on a new record, we have a bunch of festivals lined up this summer,” Gleason said. “We test things out and see how the audience reacts — what it comes down to is how to make the audience dance. Hopefully people feel inspired to dance it out and feel free.”
    A Cali reggae jam band named Drunken Kung Fu? How is it that I don't know these guys?

Thread: Kung Fu Music
    Thread: Shaolin Rasta - the 37th Chamber
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips