Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
Well..

I have a few thoughts and a few questions:

1.) I understand where this young man is coming from. After all..he is certainly entitled to take this teacher up on his challenge. And this sifu DID challenge the school where this young man studies.
true, but be honest - the fact that he walked in their asking for a "technical exchange" means that he is just as caught up in the Kung-Fu fantasy BS as anyone - you could tel he was all primed up for some sort of romantic fantasy experience of going in a challenging a rival school, etc., etc.; also, he was clearly going in expecting a "gentleman's" match, not realizing that if you do walk into someone's school it's not always going to be well received, and that one should be prepared to defend oneself the moment one makes one's intentions known; heck, I know at least two or three "old skool" dojos where, if someone did that, they'd get punched /kicked immediately before another word came out after "I want to fight"!

2.) This master comes across as unprofessional(and mentally unstable). Why openly challenge ANY school? So unecessary! Do what you do..and let others do what they do. And let it go..
agreed; but people have their issues, and many of them use MA more as a cheap psychotherapy initiative than anything else, and so they act out in context of this; usually the community has enough buffers to prevent actual confrontation, but in this case, the cultural circuit-breakers didn't work!

3.) There wasn't a need to edit the actual "fight"
agreed; moreover, doing so suggests some attempt at deception on the part of the video producer (e.g. - that Master Yang didn't get quite as "beaten down" as the video producer and his KFMF stooge "justadude" would have everyone believe)

My questions:

1.) This guy claims to be a "great-great-great-great-great grandmaster"??? Lay off the acid/crack/meth dude!! Clearly this is a grandiose statement!!!
you can say that; OTOH, if his students weren't so gullible, he wouldn't be able to get away with it! they might actually do some research and realize the contrivance; so clearly he's playing to the crowd here...

2.) Why would a grandmaster x 5(!!!) challenge a school of any style of kung fu?
don't know, don't care

3.) What school did he challenge and what style?
rinse, repeat

4.) Why did he challenge the school?
see above

5.) Why did the student of the sifu/master/grandmaster of the school which was challenged go to accept the challenge? Wasn't it more common for the SIFU himself/herself of the school to accept the challenge?
ibid

This master Hai Yang(spelling? It's late and I am tired) is a mentally unstable, vollatile and poor representative for ethical conduct in the martial arts. It's sad that he's making these self aggrandizing statements and even sadder that he seems suprised when someone takes him up on his unecessary challenge.
TCMA is full of nutters; anyway, all I want is to see the actual exchange between him and Seth Green's doppelgänger; until that happens, their claims of dominance are highly suspect;