Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bak Mei stance article - Siu Ting Fun

I am still wondering why it is called Mang Fu, after 9 steps and 18 frictions I would have expected something with 36. Why does the numerology stop at this form? Regards, Lau

Quote Originally Posted by Lau View Post
    I am still wondering why it is called Mang Fu, after 9 steps and 18 frictions I would have expected something with 36. Why does the numerology stop at this form? Regards, Lau
    I feel CLC's hand in that form. Its different to the other two.

Ng Ying came from Lin Sang? I always pegged it for a 5th generation form, like 6 power or lightening Gau Bo Twi...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

[QUOTE=Yum Cha;1038356]I feel CLC's hand in that form. Its different to the other two.

In “Secrets of Kungfu vol 20” (1978?) sifu Yen Chien Kuang 蘇劍光 (student of Cheung Bing Sem 張炳森) says that Cheung Lai Chun created Mang Fu Tju Lam towards the end of his live by combining the pugilistic and mental methods of the White Eyebrow Style. So feeling Cheung Lai Chun hands seems no so strange…

Impossible! Jeung Lai Cheun taught Mang Fu Chut Lam to his earliest students, it couldnt have been created at the end of his life. Ha Hon Hung of YKM learned it too and he was one of the earliest students!

Of the 3 pillars of Bak Mei, it is only Gau Bo Tui that resembles the rest of the system. I can see that Sup Baat Moh Kiu is taking the skills, methods, and principles of Bak Mei to a further level, but Mang Fu takes it in another direction completely.

I learned Mang Fu Chut Lam well over a decade ago, and at that time I also learned the lesser known forms Mang Fu Ha Saan (fierce tiger descends the mountain) and Mang Fu Kum Yeung (fierce tiger catches the sheep). They are very similar in all respects but perhaps extensions of Mang Fu Chut Lam. My personal feeling, heavily technique based but offers little in terms of developing and refining the essence of Bak Mei.

Jeung Lai Cheun did create a form though consolidating the theory and methodology of Bak Mei, called "Ng Hang Moh Kiu Gung". That was considered his unfinished masterpiece, as he never finished it. To me it is in the direction that Sup Baat Moh Kiu goes to, and is even more dissimilar to Mang Fu Chut Lam than the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post

Of the 3 pillars of Bak Mei, it is only Gau Bo Tui that resembles the rest of the system. I can see that Sup Baat Moh Kiu is taking the skills, methods, and principles of Bak Mei
    I tend to group the basic forms and Mang Fu as one group, and Jik Bo, Ng Ying, GBT and SBM in a second.

The first lot, including Mang Fu, are ferocious and practical.

The others are more in depth and intricate in their execution, breathing, etc.

HOWEVER, I believe as you get better, you gain the ability to use the energy from either side within the other...

And THAT is where Mang Fu fits into its own unique place.

Something else I've noticed, concerning the forms and the timeline. The forms get progressively more complicated as the generations pass, with each generation adding its own bits, interpretations, and 'style'. I think its fair to also accept that CLC changed his teaching over the 50 odd years he taught....

Our lineage is early, and forms are more simple than later students/generations versions of the same. As Soulfist mentioned, he knows several versions of Gau Bo Twi and Mang Fu. But apparently, some of the core forms are no longer taught in Hong Kong?

Sei Moon, Sa Mun, Dey Sut, Ying Jau lin Que - are these dropped in HK now?
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I tend to group the basic forms and Mang Fu as one group, and Jik Bo, Ng Ying, GBT and SBM in a second.

The first lot, including Mang Fu, are ferocious and practical.

The others are more in depth and intricate in their execution, breathing, etc.

HOWEVER, I believe as you get better, you gain the ability to use the energy from either side within the other...

And THAT is where Mang Fu fits into its own unique place.

Something else I've noticed, concerning the forms and the timeline. The forms get progressively more complicated as the generations pass, with each generation adding its own bits, interpretations, and 'style'. I think its fair to also accept that CLC changed his teaching over the 50 odd years he taught....

Our lineage is early, and forms are more simple than later students/generations versions of the same. As Soulfist mentioned, he knows several versions of Gau Bo Twi and Mang Fu. But apparently, some of the core forms are no longer taught in Hong Kong?

Sei Moon, Sa Mun, Dey Sut, Ying Jau lin Que - are these dropped in HK now?
    just in my school sisook taught me a different sub jee than what sifu showed me...sifu's is more small power and anatomically correct sisooks is big tiger full of fighting aggression...

is there any pupils that studied with CLC for the full 50 years of his teaching, what do we know about his carreer that's in newspapers and government records?.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    just in my school sisook taught me a different sub jee than what sifu showed me...sifu's is more small power and anatomically correct sisooks is big tiger full of fighting aggression...

is there any pupils that studied with CLC for the full 50 years of his teaching, what do we know about his carreer that's in newspapers and government records?.
    yea, don't place too much account in what happens from the elbow to the finger tips, in fact you should be able to vary it. forms vary, some more others less.

There was a little bru ha ha in the middle of CLC's life called WWII, closely followed by the Chinese revolution. I believe he was practically destitute in HK when he was found by Nam Ging. Don't know how much continuity there was with the old life. One can guess...

If you want the best research on Pak Mei, visit the Dutch site, they have most articles and magazines, etc. They are meticulous. #1.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng