Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Southern Preying Mantis - GM Henry Sue - Oz

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousPower View Post
    Novell has no videos of sparring or of his invisible fight record. He must study spm. All his videos are of him doing forms, teaching, and drilling. Joe Rogan was making fun of him on a YouTube video interview. The fact that you brought him up jus shows that birds of a feather flock together.
    I met Novell like two or three times, he showed me some of his Bagua once and from what he showed me it was good and practical. He trained my dude Burn and I know some dudes from his hood and they all say he has good hands. So whats the problem! Also, I really dont see how that makes us flocking together or birds of the same feather...you guys like to read into thing a bit much!LOLOLOL I like Joe Rogan! I didn't know about the YouTube vid, but thats between them and nothing to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    I met Novell like two or three times, he showed me some of his Bagua once and from what he showed me it was good and practical. He trained my dude Burn and I know some dudes from his hood and they all say he has good hands. So whats the problem! Also, I really dont see how that makes us flocking together or birds of the same feather...you guys like to read into thing a bit much!LOLOLOL I like Joe Rogan! I didn't know about the YouTube vid, but thats between them and nothing to do with me.

He trained your dude Burn in the hood? This is starting to sound like a bad rap video. It does not matter if someone is considered good in the hood(rhyme). That like being the school champ. So what? How does one do sparring outside of his comfort zone with SKILLED people who are not enamored by him? This reminds me of how students just fall over for their Sifu and think he has godlike powers...accept this scene takes place in the ghetto.
    Last edited by MysteriousPower; 09-22-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Just out of curiosity what do they say in the hood about maoshan's skills? The answer to this will decide if anyone in your hood knows
    what they are talking about.

Just out of curiosity what do they say in the hood about maoshan's skills? The answer to this will decide if anyone in your hood knows
    what they are talking about.
    I don't know his peoples.

Dude you really dont understand where Im coming from, do you? Forget it, dont loss any sleep over it.

He trained your dude Burn in the hood? This is starting to sound like a bad rap video. It does not matter if someone is considered good in the hood(rhyme). That like being the school champ. So what? How does one do sparring outside of his comfort zone with SKILLED people who are not enamored by him? This reminds me of how students just fall over for their Sifu and think he has godlike powers...accept this scene takes place in the ghetto.
    No. He trained him at his school in Queens. I know some guys from Novell's hood. They have good hands and they spoke good things of Novell's hands. No body said he had godlike powers. Again, you read to much into things.

Who are you to say these guys in the streets aren't skilled. School Champ?LOLOL I'm making reference to Jail house enforcers and soldiers. Let me put you on, one of my dudes who's a big brother to me, was a Ring Champ in more than one sport fighting venue. He still teaches and he's in the NYC MMA scence....Well anyway, while he was locked up he changed a lot of his fighting to better defend against the reality of jail/street fighting. There's a difference, but you need to experience both in order to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    ..one of the key notes that struck me was that EVERYONE likes to think they have knockout power, whilst VERY few ever do.

in this regard, 20 second fighters would be at a distinct disadvantage.. i suggest that if you manage to hit someone cleanly (no interceptions, no obstructions... you hit just hits) and DONT ko them, then you're in trouble. be that in the street or in a ring.
    Ok, a couple of people commented on the '20 second fighter' comment. Its just a concept (visualisation and training), its not like there's a bell, and all the air drains out and you end up there like a flat pancake with nothing but your big old eyes bugging out...

And also, the discussion of knock out power....

Who said anything about knockout? That's just one way to disable an opponent, and clear insight into the difference in fighting strategy.

I prefer a big joint. Er, you know what I mean...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I can respect that, you’re in their school you play by their rules, fair enough but it’s a shame it’s the reason styles die out

Even us sports guys start in bad positions when we train so I can understand where you are coming from, I just disagree with relying on tricks and traps that only work once or twice, I just prefer using things that are more high percentage (just a thought but do you pull these off against your class mates often….because if you can pull them off in sparring against your class mates when they know them as well maybe they aren’t tricks and traps but good technique?)
    Its not like we're on mars and venus. Tricks and traps, I just call it that because most traditional guys get all 'floating sparrow picks nuts from cherry tree" and that doesn't float my boat.

For an generic example, best two kicks I ever had were the front that changes up half way to a half-round to the temple, and the front snap that falls low and short, followed on the same jump by the opposite sweeping roundhouse head high. Worked a charm, but once you saw it, it was hard to work again. But, it nearly always worked the first time.

High percentage moves are high percentage why? Because people can't counter them, or you set them up into a position of disadvantage? Force and strategy. My high percentage is achieved in part by surprise, and supported by technique.

But everything has a counter, right? That's what I'm protecting.

And, even in our school, we hide our stuff from each other for just that reason, its no small source of amusement between the brothers, stealing techniques and countering...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    We all like to be 20 second fighters and I understand the mentality, the hakka arts I have trained and seen are all like this (although I wonder about the legality of all those PE fists to the throat lol), h*ll the thai and wrestlers I know train like this to: Maximum inmapct on the pads in combos, big slams etc its just very hard to end a fight quickly if the other guy doesn’t want you to do that so I have found its best to hope for the best but expect the worst and train accordingly )
    Phoenix to the neck that wouldn't hurt would it???

No, I don't think the mentality is just Hakka. Its a warrior as opposed to fighter mentality.

Hakaguri, Mishima - In a sword battle, it only takes one cut, one clash, all of life and death in one split second where one dominates and one dies. There is no reason to hold anything for the next chance, this is it, one second, one slice of time. Any advantage is built, captured and driven home, any disadvantage avoided or preempted.

Domination and crease.

No, that's "open source" stuff...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia