Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Preying Mantis - GM Henry Sue - Oz

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Savvy-I agree with most of what you are saying.
    I also agree with the part about not practicing enough to be a bad answer...although...
    when I tell students about how long to practice technique, I chose one, and without saying anything, toss a focus mitt at them.
    When they catch it, I ask them "how many times did you practice catching something?"
    "from the time Daddy sat down with yuo on the floor and rolled a ball at you , and put your little hands on it, to eventually catching it on a bounce, to flyballs, etc,etc.
    How many times was that?
    So, how many times do you need to practice something before it becomes a natural reaction? Under stress?"
    Did you ever see a guy bat a line drive right at the pitcher, and the pitcher catches it? I could never do that. But, I am not a baseball player, nor have I put in anywhere near the time practicing catching.
    So you need to ask a question-how much do you practice a technique before you decide that you are practicing an inneffective technique, and disgard it?
    I look at it this way-if I know people who can use it-really use it, then I think it may be worth my time. But if it's a "Fantasy Island" technique,
    then yeah, I chuck it.
    Like when I trained kenpo-there were so many techniques that were either fluff, or fodder, so I no longer practice them.
    Same with Hapkido and Jiu-Jutsu.
    Why on Earth do we do techniques against a handshake?
    I asked my Kenpo teacher that once and he laughed and said, "Maybe the guy owes you money!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I'd also like to point out that I've never been stopped by short power during sparring. It's a great concept when drilling but seems to fizzle when sparring. Some may claim that I haven't sparred with the 'real deal' whatever that means and whoever that is.

Never copped a jab coming in? Come on......
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Pak Mei has 8 hands. Short hand is just one.....

I assume SPM is the same? Ten made THE point. The quick ear box, eye rake, nose slap, shin kick, whatever, isn't the knockout, its what you are bringing up from back room once you have an edge.

A good knee through the groin to the spine, or a twin handful of hair, head butt, joint attack....

Personally, I look at 'short power' like clinch or "dirty boxing'. Sanjuro, cretainly you know what its like to get inside on someone, and simply have your way with them because they can't get a grip to grapple, and their mid-game is beaten...

Sanjuro, what would you know about neck attacks?? You first have to have a neck for someone to attack it...
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

What is "Pak Mei"? If you say Pak Mei to a Chinese person I guarantee they wont know what your talking about.

Pak Mei means "slap with the tail"
    Bak Mei means "white eyebrow"

My Japanese friend said now his country has a "big erection". I explained about the r and l pronunciation but he said "its close enough, people will understand".

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Never copped a jab coming in? Come on......
    I didn't mean that I haven't been hit before. When I said I was never stopped by short power blows I meant that I was never completely dominated by someone using short power on me constantly to where I died. Tentigers said a flick to the eyes won't knock a person out but it sets him up for the second and third knockout blow. That kind of combination had never happened to me.. Hook, jab, and uppercuts can technically be done with short power but I was talking about the three power strikes typically seen in three step arrow. Donenon drilling looks beautiful but when sparring it doesn't seem to work well. Can someone please come knock me out using three step short power strikes?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    the three power strike isn't actually used like that-except rarely.. It is more of a developmental training exercise.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    I didn't mean that I haven't been hit before. When I said I was never stopped by short power blows I meant that I was never completely dominated by someone using short power on me constantly to where I died. Tentigers said a flick to the eyes won't knock a person out but it sets him up for the second and third knockout blow. That kind of combination had never happened to me.. Hook, jab, and uppercuts can technically be done with short power but I was talking about the three power strikes typically seen in three step arrow. Donenon drilling looks beautiful but when sparring it doesn't seem to work well. Can someone please come knock me out using three step short power strikes?
    You guys were fighting for real? Using gloves?

Also, just because someone trains short hand it doesn't make the unstoppable. Its a fighting hand like any other. You have your good apples and your bad ones. It just is what it is!

Bless,

Buby

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    You guys were fighting for real? Using gloves?

Also, just because someone trains short hand it doesn't make the unstoppable. Its a fighting hand like any other. You have your good apples and your bad ones. It just is what it is!

Bless,

Buby
    I've been looking at a lot of push hands lately, and looking at the way they grab position and attack the person's balance. There is short and shock power all over the place as they engage.

I was lucky to catch this chinese series on cd at Sifu's last night - they take a celeb or some kind and work them up in MA, then fight them off against others... It was chen tai chi, two old masters training two students, and exploring the art, blah blah, blah.... I think its a series. Nice interviews and footage of some push hands champs young and old. They did a bit better than the old footage from the 50's of chan hak fu, which they did feature...

Of course, I think, 'Yea, he threw him down, I would have hit him instead and then threw him down, point being, techniques work fine, but my training integrates them differently, as would everyones.

Short power isn't just a flick of a phoenix, or a quick little jab, even though that may be what you see. It is the quick pull/jerk as much as the quick outward strike. There's a whole stance foundation. ton-tou, chum-fa, all that stuff.

But, its just like any kung fu tricks. Learning to do it, and learning to apply it are totally different. Youtube is paved with the resulting spectacular fails.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

I've been looking at a lot of push hands lately, and looking at the way they grab position and attack the person's balance. There is short and shock power all over the place as they engage.

I was lucky to catch this chinese series on cd at Sifu's last night - they take a celeb or some kind and work them up in MA, then fight them off against others... It was chen tai chi, two old masters training two students, and exploring the art, blah blah, blah.... I think its a series. Nice interviews and footage of some push hands champs young and old. They did a bit better than the old footage from the 50's of chan hak fu, which they did feature...

Of course, I think, 'Yea, he threw him down, I would have hit him instead and then threw him down, point being, techniques work fine, but my training integrates them differently, as would everyones.

Short power isn't just a flick of a phoenix, or a quick little jab, even though that may be what you see. It is the quick pull/jerk as much as the quick outward strike. There's a whole stance foundation. ton-tou, chum-fa, all that stuff.

But, its just like any kung fu tricks. Learning to do it, and learning to apply it are totally different. Youtube is paved with the resulting spectacular fails.
    Agreed, but how can one grab if they cant even get in to range? Thats why its important that these things are taught, but I definitely agree that short power is more then just striking. AHH, I see where you going with the push hand thingy. Best of luck in your training. Just train it live bro, so you can really see what works and what doesn't work for you.

Bless,

Buby

Agreed, but how can one grab if they cant even get in to range? Thats why its important that these things are taught, but I definitely agree that short power is more then just striking. AHH, I see where you going with the push hand thingy. Best of luck in your training. Just train it live bro, so you can really see what works and what doesn't work for you.

Bless,

Buby
    yeah but most shortfist footwork is all about getting inside... any shortfist style will take into consideration that they need to get inside to go to work... esspecially the more aggressive offensive styles... they are all about counterstriking... step inside, parry/strike, work some more or back out and escape...

Agreed, but how can one grab if they cant even get in to range? Thats why its important that these things are taught, but I definitely agree that short power is more then just striking. AHH, I see where you going with the push hand thingy. Best of luck in your training.
    Buby, I've put years into the act of getting safely into range. Its a pet study of mine.

Unfortunately, I know its a luxury.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    yeah but most shortfist footwork is all about getting inside... any shortfist style will take into consideration that they need to get inside to go to work... esspecially the more aggressive offensive styles... they are all about counterstriking... step inside, parry/strike, work some more or back out and escape...
    Also, notably, most western style fighters have only got 'dirty boxing' and grappling to draw upon at that range - I suspect the 52 hands stuff has some in tight stuff too...

My principle being that you throw stuff at people they haven't seen, they have a lower chance of countering it.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Buby, I've put years into the act of getting safely into range. Its a pet study of mine.

Unfortunately, I know its a luxury.
    Thats whats up!

Bless,

Buby

My principle being that you throw stuff at people they haven't seen, they have a lower chance of countering it.
    And THAT is the key Boys and girls.

As for the comment about me not having a neck, eat me !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And THAT is the key Boys and girls.

As for the comment about me not having a neck, eat me !
    Only with Peanut Butter!LOLOL

Bless,

Buby