Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese hopping vampire

Chinese hopping vampire

Hello people of kung fu magazine im making this thread to accumulate information on the Chinese vampire here is a little info i got on it please everyone share your knowledge

J
    iang Shi (traditional Chinese: ½©ŒÆ or š™ŒÆ; simplified Chinese: ½©Ê¬; pinyin: ji¨¡ngsh¨©; literally "stiff corpse"), sometimes called Chinese vampires by Westerners, are reanimated corpses that hop around, killing living creatures to absorb life essence (Æø/šâq¨¬) from their victims. ji¨¡ngsh¨© is pronounced geungsi in Cantonese, gangshi in Korean, and "kyonsh¨©" in Japanese. They are said to be created when a person's soul (ÆÇ p¨°) fails to leave the deceased's body, due to improper death, suicide, or just wanting to cause trouble. Generally their appearance can range from plain ordinary (as in the case of a recently deceased person) to downright horrifying (i.e. rotting flesh, stiffness, rigor mortis, the like commonly associated with corpses that have been in a state of decay over a period of time) An unusual feature of folklore is their greenish-white furry skin; one theory is this is derived from fungus or mould growing on corpses. They are said to have long white hair all over their heads.[1] The influence of Western vampire stories brought the blood-sucking aspect to the Chinese myth in modern times. In fact, Dracula is translated to Chinese as "blood-sucking ji¨¡ngsh¨©" where the thirst of blood is explicitly emphasized because it is not a traditional trait of a ji¨¡ngsh¨©

i got this information from land of fu forum if you need an invite pm me thank you all an enjoy the info
    Last edited by holdenwuchi; 08-27-2010 at 10:16 PM.

It looks like that info came from an older version of an article on Wikipedia. You can see it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 08-30-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Ever see Mr. Vampire?

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Chinese vampies hop, American vampies walk. That's the culture thing. Whether Chinese vampies hop or walk on US soil, it remains unknown.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-30-2010 at 05:31 PM.

+1 for Mr. Vampire.
    There's also an old (1974) Shaw Brothers/Hammer Films co-production called Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires. Alternative title for the movie is: The Seven Brothers and One Sister Meet Dracula. It has the Chinese hopping-style vampires, plus Count Dracula (played a bit lamely, but makes the movie a good novelty).

+1 for Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Any film that stars David Chiang and Peter Cushing is okay by me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

great!

hello great responses an yes i found out it did come from wiki. im still looking the reason why the hop q good flick to watch is hocus pocus it goes beyond the hopping. Is there a scholar in the house knows anything im sure they get into detail when it comes to taoist things liek when they flip around the alter that cant just be made up what do you think gents?

I don't know the answer to that, but another movie you might want to check out, if it's still available, is Spooky Encounters (a.k.a., Encounter of the Spooky Kind). It was one of the first movies that actually made the hopping vampire/corpse a popular subject on film. The story also features two warring Taoist magicians.

Blog Entries
    I just saw an excellent Thailand vampire movie last night. Not far from China, their vampires can run faster than a car. Another prove that hamburger and pizza are not good for you when you turn into a vampire.

第三部的僵尸速度的确快啊、 能跟汽车比速度~

http://bk.pps.tv/ct202654215/
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenwuchi View Post
    hello great responses an yes i found out it did come from wiki. im still looking the reason why the hop q good flick to watch is hocus pocus it goes beyond the hopping. Is there a scholar in the house knows anything im sure they get into detail when it comes to taoist things liek when they flip around the alter that cant just be made up what do you think gents?
    The flipping around was probably just for entertainment purposes. Taoists do, however, have various dance-like rituals where they trace the shape of constellations with their feet. I think the most commonly referred to is called "Pacing the Dipper." (I'm pretty sure there are researchers who have connected this with martial arts practices too.) Think of it as the Taoist "Crip Walk."

The book To Live As Long As Heaven and Earth is a good source for various Taoist rituals.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 09-02-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    The thing about Hocus Pocus as other than a vampire movie is the guy and his friend go to meet a geomancer--astrologers of Chinna who incorporate fdirections ( perhaps serious Feng Shuai into their reading...There was a reading of a person's future by a serious Chinese astrologer. This with perhaps wives talse or the things to do to beat or ward off the undead an the such--supernatural helps it be worthwile.

From seeing the cinema depiction of the hopping vampire with scent ant fingernails and all teeth sharp, I think I see why at least some structures in China areboarded from the ground up about six inches. The ancient to modern archetecture reflects the belief to stop ghosts if not vampires from entering there. As Chinese Vampires have flexibility limitations.

A blue book on Shao-Lin Internal kung-fu had exercises for plucked iron pellete or the such and Lightness. Part of the training for lightness is with your feet basically, together and knees locked jump out of a ditch you dig~ that starts out five inches deep. Not only is this shorter than I think Chinese door barriers might be but, no that's it.

Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu (attempt), Squirrel has Chinese Vampire Walking. Jumping with your knees locked seems Great to me for development. Mimicking the arms out (perhaps eyes closed) but surely the locomoting with both feet while keeping the knees locked...Very Good.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

The real deal

I personally subscribe the the theory from the movie kung fu zombie an the vamp's feet were on fire, a bad taoist summons a dark energy into a corpse by using big brass symbols if anyone knows the "rite" pls correct me.I i dont believe int he fire feet tho but i think that it is on point, a bad taoist makes a zombie just to make one.
    I have seen alot of hopping vamp movies an most of them show some sort of controlling the dead if there ghosts or zombies. i have no clue but there all walking in a line looking like there being brought through "stations" i or waiting to pass on an i think from what i read on wiki that there is a soul in there making it hop now there is a reasonable explanation for this air in the corpse making sit up an just maybe a fresh corpse on wiki it says something about having moldy skin. My personal diagnosis of this madness is that vamps are real an some time bad wizards,witches,shaman,ect make zombies,golems,ect an also i think it has to do with other world energies that just feed an feed an feed an then it spreads an dies maybe there are some left IDK but i do knowlol that taoist know how too summon energy from the north star an that ability can be used to pull anything he wants if your really meditating on the northstar thats big yo! you can point that anywhere you want an thats what i think................here is a link to a story about a new orleans zombie http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/zombie/violette/[/url]
    Haitians also have zombie stories that are similar to the taoist stories im sure there ia a scholar who knows all about it i hope he stops by this post

im looking forward to watching 7 golden vampires it meshes the two worlds!
    Last edited by holdenwuchi; 09-05-2010 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by holdenwuchi View Post
    I personally subscribe the the theory from the movie kung fu zombie an the vamp's feet were on fire, a bad taoist summons a dark energy into a corpse by using big brass symbols if anyone knows the "rite" pls correct me.I i dont believe int he fire feet tho but i think that it is on point, a bad taoist makes a zombie just to make one.
    I have seen alot of hopping vamp movies an most of them show some sort of controlling the dead if there ghosts or zombies. i have no clue but there all walking in a line looking like there being brought through "stations" i or waiting to pass on an i think from what i read on wiki that there is a soul in there making it hop now there is a reasonable explanation for this air in the corpse making sit up an just maybe a fresh corpse on wiki it says something about having moldy skin. My personal diagnosis of this madness is that vamps are real an some time bad wizards,witches,shaman,ect make zombies,golems,ect an also i think it has to do with other world energies that just feed an feed an feed an then it spreads an dies maybe there are some left IDK but i do knowlol that taoist know how too summon energy from the north star an that ability can be used to pull anything he wants if your really meditating on the northstar thats big yo! you can point that anywhere you want an thats what i think................here is a link to a story about a new orleans zombie http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/zombie/violette/[/url]
    Haitians also have zombie stories that are similar to the taoist stories im sure there ia a scholar who knows all about it i hope he stops by this post

im looking forward to watching 7 golden vampires it meshes the two worlds!
    I'm having problems understanding your post (punctuation is my crutch as well). Are you saying that you believe hopping vampires existed? I can't say that I've ever seen an actual corpse hopping under its own power. My uncle is a mortician and he has told me all sorts of stories of his "clients" twitching or moaning. This is, of course, just residual bio-electricity and escaping gasses.

According to some types of Taoist Cosmology, the human body is inhabited by ten souls--3 of the hun type and 7 of the po. The 7 po souls are thought to cause the seven negative emotions. When a person dies, the hun each go to heaven, are reborn into their next karmic life, and reside in the family alter, respectively. The po souls stick around to cause havoc. If appropriate religious rituals are not performed in a given time, it is believed the po spirits can take over the corpse.

Haitian Zombies are nothing like the undead kind from the movies. From what I understand, they are people who have been exposed to a powdered Neurotoxin. This can slow down their vital signs to give them the appearance of being dead.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 09-06-2010 at 02:26 PM.

yes all the world has reports of vampires there must be some truth in it, it had to come form some where an i thnk its started in china thats very goo dinfo you shared thank you

There have been beliefs/legends about vampires or vampire-like beings in Africa, ancient Greece, India, etc. I don't know if the core belief necessarily began in China. My guess is the general beliefs or stories probably started in Africa, or possibly even many places pretty much simultaneously. In the Phillipines, there are some that believe in the Aswang.

Some beliefs hold that vampires are not physical corpses that rise from their graves/coffins each night to drink blood, but are instead nonphysical entities that feed off a (usually sleeping) person's life force. Some people refer to that as the "old hag syndrome," which scientists usually dismiss as "sleep paralysis." There were also cases very similar to old hag syndrome that affected southeast Asian (Cambodian?) males, even if they moved to the West, in which they would die of fright in their sleep, which was attributed to some type of being. I forget the name of that syndrome.

I don't claim to believe or disbelieve any of the subjects I've mentioned above, but merely put them out there for this discussion.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-10-2010 at 05:02 PM.