Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClcH9Gp0DA

Dunno if people have seen this, but I thought some people here might get a kick out of it.
    That's pretty funny.

In person, I've seen flying squirrels, halos, stuff like that, but never this particular route.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Outstanding! That should count as an instant win.
    Oh yeah, he pinned him soon after. Clearly outclassed, right. Kid shoulda stayed tight, but he just watched it happen. I mean, he could have just turned in and gator rolled his ass just as easily. But this was pretty classy, lol.

While I'm here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwYTR4nAWs

The last one is my fav!

While I'm here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLwYTR4nAWs

The last one is my fav!
    It's always cool, no matter what venue, to see people applying constant presence of mind for the tiniest window of opportunity where it's all up in the air. Thanks for sharing that!

In person, I've seen flying squirrels, halos, stuff like that, but never this particular route.

Sweet, some new terms to learn. I looked up flying squirrel… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW8Mf3IL4zA

But, I couldn't find anything on halo. Got any video for that one?

A lot of these moves have multiple names. When I first saw the flying squirrel it was referred to as another name which escapes me at the moment. Quite awhile ago. That clip you posted sure did get that name out there though.

What we referred to as a halo was somewhat similar to the first clip I posted. But in the air your body is roughly on a 45 degree angle(as opposed to right over backwards), you spin and you end up either taking the back, or about half way between back and side with collar control. It's been awhile since I wrestled. I'm horrible at remembering names for things. Maybe somebody else knows another name for it.

A lot of these moves have multiple names. When I first saw the flying squirrel it was referred to as another name which escapes me at the moment. Quite awhile ago. That clip you posted sure did get that name out there though.

What we referred to as a halo was somewhat similar to the first clip I posted. But in the air your body is roughly on a 45 degree angle(as opposed to right over backwards), you spin and you end up either taking the back, or about half way between back and side with collar control. It's been awhile since I wrestled. I'm horrible at remembering names for things. Maybe somebody else knows another name for it.
    Kewel. I can picture that. Thanks!

Jaslynn Gallegos

Instead Of Wrestling A Girl, High Schooler Chooses To Forfeit State Wrestling Match
    March 10, 20197:08 AM ET
    SCOTT SIMON
    AMANDA MORRIS

Courtesy of Delfino Rodriguez

When high school senior and wrestler Brendan Johnston realized he had to face Jaslynn Gallegos, a high school senior, and Angel Rios, a high school junior, in last month's Colorado state wrestling championship, he knew his shot at a state title was over.

Johnston refused to compete against Rios and Gallegos because they are both girls.

Gallegos went on to place fifth in that tournament, and Rios was fourth — marking the first time girls have placed at a Colorado state wrestling tournament.

Despite her success, Gallegos finds it frustrating when she is treated differently as an athlete because of her gender. Her would-be opponent, Johnston, told reporters that he was uncomfortable wrestling females, in part because of his Christian beliefs.

"I'm not really comfortable with a couple of things with wrestling a girl," Johnston told The Denver Post. "The physical contact, there's a lot of it in wrestling. And I guess the physical aggression too. I don't want to treat a young lady like that on the mat. Or off the mat. And not to disrespect the heart or the effort that she's put in. That's not what I want to do either."

But while Gallegos said she respected his decision, she doesn't understand it.

"I just want to be a wrestler, not necessarily defined as a girl wrestler, so it kind of hurt me a little bit," she told NPR's Scott Simon. "I just want to be this wrestler, and my gender is holding me back."

A senior at Skyview High School in Thornton, Colo., Gallegos plans to continue the sport in college, where she will be competing against other women.

But wrestling someone of either gender doesn't faze Gallegos. She has been wrestling girls, and boys, since she was 5 years old.

"When I wrestle, it's literally all muscle memory, because I practice my shots, and my stand-ups, and my sit-outs, and my pinning combinations so often, I don't even have to think when I wrestle," she said.

Jaslynn Gallegos (left) stands after winning a match at Colorado's state wrestling championship.
    Courtesy of Delfino Rodriguez

She joins an increasing number of girls who are participating in the sport. Since 1994, the number of female high school wrestlers has grown from 804 to 16,562, according to the National Wrestling Coaches Association. But only 12 states have approved girls wrestling programs with sanctioned state championships, according to the association.

Colorado may soon join those ranks. In February 2018, the Colorado High School Activities Association approved girls wrestling for pilot seasons, which is the first step toward officially sanctioning the sport within the state.

Since girls wrestling is not a sanctioned sport in Colorado, girls have the right to participate alongside boys at the state tournament. This year was the first time for the state's pilot program, which allowed for a female state wrestling bracket. But Gallegos decided she wanted to compete with the boys.

When Gallegos steps up to the mat, her eyes are trained on her opponent. The minute the referee blows the whistle, she keeps her elbows in and moves quickly to ensnare her opponent, then wrangle her competitor down onto the mat.

The wrestling matches are a tangle of limbs — Gallegos' and her opponent's — arms and legs slipping out of holds or locking the other's in place. In the twisting and pushing, eventually one wrestler comes out on top; the victor grinds the opponent's face down against the mat, keeping tight control of a writhing, wriggling opponent until they hear the referee's whistle.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Continued from previous post

USA Wrestling YouTube

For such a physical sport, some males may express concerns over applying force on a female or pressing against a female opponent in the era of the #MeToo movement.

But, Gallegos said, the concerns are a nonissue because she knows exactly what she's signing up for every time she steps up to the mat.

"It's kind of unheard of in the wrestling community for a girl to say something happened during a match," she said. "It's wrestling, and I think we all understand that it's a very physical sport. You're literally fighting someone to put them to their back."

In her hundreds of matches against guys, Gallegos said, she has never experienced those sorts of issues. She encourages men to approach wrestling female athletes the same way they would with male athletes.

"You know you might get pinned. You might win by one or two points. You might even pin me," Gallegos said. "But, I'm definitely worth giving a match to."

Her message for male wrestlers who might be reluctant to face off with her?

"Just wrestle me."
    I'd wrestle her.

Okay, that sounded wrong. She looks like a tough champ. I hope she succeeds.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Streaming schedules on NBC

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips