Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling

That said...sport fighting IS NOT fighting and the techniques are not necessarily the same.
    Because no one has ever take out a person in the street with a right cross or left hook?
    How about a RNC? or some GnP ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    MMA, BJJ, Judo, Sanshou/Sanda. boxing, kickboxing, ... are all sport with different rules. Sport is a tool for training. Combat training is beyond sport.
    not all ground fighting is for sport... if you go to a bjj class, at first it will all be the same, but eventually you will learn the difference between ring techniques and street techniques...

if you cross train, it would be reasonable to assume that one who knows ground clinch and standup fighting will use clinch and standup to avoid the ground... if the opponent is lighting you up, you may wanna take it down if you guys are one on one... i could go on for hours about the diff between street and sport... i dont even mean bjj specifically, just any ground fighting... for example, soldiers learn it because its unrealistic to not have that knowledge in real combat... its about being well rounded... im talking about fighting... obviously in mma if you have no ground uyou wont last long... but thats not what im talking about... im talking about real fighting... and real fighting is about knowing as much as possible and covering as many angles as you can... to deny that is just crazy... i think ive been pretty clear about what i mean and i havent changed tactics between real and sport arguments to backpedal... the only time i have was to make a secondary point...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Because no one has ever take out a person in the street with a right cross or left hook?
    he said not necessarily the same. meaning sometimes yes, sometimes no...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    not all ground fighting is for sport... if you go to a bjj class, at first it will all be the same, but eventually you will learn the difference between ring techniques and street techniques...
    the "cutting edge" and forgive the pun in knife defense is based upon sport wrestling........... something to ponder
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Nope, never. Can't break the 'rules' after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    he said not necessarily the same. meaning sometimes yes, sometimes no...
    Tomato..tomahto

There are many "street" moves that are never done in the ring because they don't work, do you k now of any ring techniques not done on the street for the same reason?
    Can't think of any off the top of my head.
    WTF does "not necessarily the same" mean anyways??

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the "cutting edge" and forgive the pun in knife defense is based upon sport wrestling........... something to ponder
    i'd love to hear your thoughts...

anyways.. my original point before the s h i t storm was that you need to be well rounded... and rounding out may take away from one aspect because of time constraints for some people or a simple lack of ability to do or retain the knowledge but ultimately the more you are prepared for the better off you'll be... anyone disagree???

No Sanjero, because sometimes people are taken out with a knife, or a kick to the groin, or a hand full of broken fingers...

I already gave you your sport fighting tribute...Sport fighting is very very important.

It still isn't fighting.
    Ok?

false generalization

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

I think American also has this kind of culture. When your opponent is down, you wait for him to get back up. If he gets back up, the fight continue. If he stays on the ground, the fight is over, and you walk away.

LOL!!!!!!!

Maybe you do, but...

Tomato..tomahto

There are many "street" moves that are never done in the ring because they don't work, do you k now of any ring techniques not done on the street for the same reason?
    Can't think of any off the top of my head.
    WTF does "not necessarily the same" mean anyways??
    the example i was thinking was more on the lines of, if you are fighting three guys, you arent gonna pull guard if you do hit the ground, you will scramble is if your life depended on it... because it might... in competition you can afford to lay back, take a breath and start from there...

i use that anologfy because im trying to stick to youknowhos original criticisms... keep it simple and not too confusing... this board is moving fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    to be fair you will only get flak because its a half as$ed stupidly thought out point that has been discredited over and over........
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    No Sanjero, because sometimes people are taken out with a knife, or a kick to the groin, or a hand full of broken fingers...

I already gave you your sport fighting tribute...Sport fighting is very very important.

It still isn't fighting.
    Ok?
    Fighting:

fight
       
    /faɪt/ Show Spelled [fahyt] Show IPA noun, verb, fought, fight·ing.
    –noun
    a battle or combat.
    any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness.
    an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight.
    Boxing . a bout or contest.
    a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight.
    ability, will, or inclination to fight: There was no fight left in him.
    –verb (used without object)
    to engage in battle or in single combat; attempt to defend oneself against or to subdue, defeat, or destroy an adversary.
    to contend in any manner; strive vigorously for or against something: He fought bravely against despair.
    –verb (used with object)
    to contend with in battle or combat; war against: England fought Germany.
    to contend with or against in any manner: to fight despair; to fight the passage of a bill.
    to carry on (a battle, duel, etc.).
    to maintain (a cause, quarrel, etc.) by fighting or contending.
    to make (one's way) by fighting or striving.
    to cause or set (a boxer, animal, etc.) to fight.
    to manage or maneuver (troops, ships, guns, planes, etc.) in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansuke View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!

Maybe you do, but...
    i was thinking the same thing... where i come from the honourable types usually got hurt in the street... its not about being fair.... its about winning and walkijng away...

even if that means you pick up a rock and go choy li fut on their a s s e s!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post

Sport fighting is very very important.

It still isn't fighting.
    pretty much anything where you don't go home in a body bag is a "game" or "sport"

the reality is, well, you can't re-create reality... nothing is going to simulate a real life and death struggle with a person trying to kill you... you can only approach approximations

however, what so many dismiss as "sports" do in fact do a dandy job of approaching those realities, especially once you understand the role of stress and adrenaline response
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless: a pillow fight; a water fight.

thats awesome...

dictionaries arent the end all of tyerminology though... for example... ima BBoy, some call it breakdancing, BBoys dont call it that only outsiders... so should an outsider define a term? or should terms be defined by those who are actually involved??? breakdancer is a term that was prepackaged and served to the public in an article a long time ago and it stuck, but only outside the bboy community...

so who defines fight???

although i do agree with you, fight can be sport... but all along ive been talking about real street fighting, you know, actyual combat...