Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    EDIT: the post you're responding to was hinting at the idea that most kung fu styles have a much smaller number of qin na and throws than what you find in books of just qin na and throws: I assumed people were aware that most of the throws and locks were similar, and not the overly complex sort, but the common variety.

Your reply seems non sequitor on this. Because they don't have a "vast body" of throws and locks, they must not have tested them? So, a small number of workable moves is not a possibility? You use all of every style you've learned in fighting consistently? I'm unclear what you're saying hear, unless you're just trolling.
    When people spar with full contact grappling, by necessity, a number of technique naturally evolve from that sparring. People are constantly developing counters, counters to the counters, etc. They are constantly coming up with new techniques in an attempt to win out over their sparring partners.

A style that doesn't have many grappling techniques does not spar their grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dale is a founding Dog Brother.
    National level submission grappler.
    2nd degree BB in BJJ
    And has fought Vale tudo, MMA and MT.

dale is knifefighter then?
    well i wanna see em even more now...

just tell me where or re-post em coz i cant just start randomly checking threads...

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    When people spar with full contact grappling, by necessity, a number of technique naturally evolve from that sparring. People are constantly developing counters, counters to the counters, etc. They are constantly coming up with new techniques in an attempt to win out over their sparring partners.

A style that doesn't have many grappling techniques does not spar their grappling.
    So, most fighters use more than a handful of moves in clinch?

So, most fighters use more than a handful of moves in clinch?
    Individual fighters have their own specialty offensive techs they use. However, each individual fighter has his own repertoire of specific techs that he uses. Because of that, each fighter has to be knowledgeable of a variety of different techniques. Even if he doesn't use them offensively, he needs to be familiar enough with them to counter them.

Any grappling style that spars/competes (Judo, BJJ, Sambo, wrestling, MMA) will have a large number of techniques by necessity and by simple evolution.

Individual fighters have their own specialty offensive techs they use. However, each individual fighter has his own repertoire of specific techs that he uses. Because of that, each fighter has to be knowledgeable of a variety of different techniques. Even if he doesn't use them offensively, he needs to be familiar enough with them to counter them.

Any grappling style that spars/competes (Judo, BJJ, Sambo, wrestling, MMA) will have a large number of techniques by necessity and by simple evolution.
    Why didn't you include Shuai jiao and Sanda/sanshou in there?

ive always been curious about dog bros training... like the shockknife thing... does it really feel like a real cut???

i havent much experience with arnis, kali whatever, but ive seen some good stuff locally... my only real complaint has nothing to do with martial arts, its the names... in spice girl fashion they all have dog in their name... sportydog, scarydog yeah i know thats not a real dogbros name but its what it reminds me of... lol, cant help it...

clips, where???

im happy to watch people hit eachother with sticks but when i said post vids, i meant relevant to the convo... but by all means, put em all up...

Why didn't you include Shuai jiao and Sanda/sanshou in there?
    I didn't think to include them but feel free to include those in there also.

One thing you will notice when you watch both of those styles compete... just as all the other functional styles I listed, you won't see standing joint locks. And, if you train in either of those, you will learn many different techniques.

I didn't think to include them but feel free to include those in there also.

One thing you will notice when you watch both of those styles compete... just as all the other functional styles I listed, you won't see standing joint locks. And, if you train in either of those, you will learn many different techniques.
    Fair enough.

Can a cop put a "standing lock" against a mostly compliant suspect? Sure he can.

When a cop has a suspect facing away from him and against the car, can he twist his arm back to cuff him? Of course he can.

Do those same things work against a resisting opponent who is not facing into the car? Of course they don't in the majority of cases.
    sometimes you gotta hit em first to soften em up.

but you're simply splitting hairs to guard your conviction.

Convictions are a greater enemy of the truth than any lie.

If you get neck and head control in a clinch, would you not call that a standing lock?

I mean, you really want to split hairs here based on some compliant arm grabbing crap that's out there.

slipping the hooks on , locking and throwing is a standing joint lock.

But, i guess if you want to focus on one small area, go ahead.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    sometimes you gotta hit em first to soften em up.

but you're simply splitting hairs to guard your conviction.

Convictions are a greater enemy of the truth than any lie.

If you get neck and head control in a clinch, would you not call that a standing lock?

I mean, you really want to split hairs here based on some compliant arm grabbing crap that's out there.

slipping the hooks on , locking and throwing is a standing joint lock.

But, i guess if you want to focus on one small area, go ahead.

If you want to call pummel control or head control or a guillotine a standing lock, then I'm fine with saying that works.

The fact is, people who grapple against halfway skilled, resisting opponents know what works and what doesn't. They know which things are higher percentage (kimura, guillotine) and which ones are lower percentage (standing Americana, wrist locks).

It's very obvious when people don't do this type of grappling simply extrapolate from their unrealistic training.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I've never seen you pull anything off at all. lol

I have seen cops and others pull off come alongs, standing locks, standing submissions, etc.

So to me, your "lifetime" of experience is a frog looking at the sky from a well.
    to be fair he has posted clips of MMA fights and grappling matches showing him pulling stuff off

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    where are your videos??? surely you dont expect proof from others without providing any of your own??????????? and because you have a lifetime of experience, where are YOUR videos starring YOU showing and proving???
    Dale is a 2nd degree BJJ blackbelt and original dog brother, he has posted clips of full contact MMA fights (glove and bare hand) and stick fights he has been in

we need a continuous thread on this forum for posters to post their own vids in so people can find them.

at this point if syn wants to actually watch these vids, the quickest way would be sifting through ALL of knifefighters posts and try to find the ones where the links are actually his vids and not other vids he posts to proove/disproove points.

which is.....welll...he probably wont find the vids hes looking for

he isnt questioning anymore if the vids were posted, hes simply asking where, so that he can review them. its a fair question. perhaps there is a youtube account he can go to to see them all in one easy place.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE9PyuyVTEI

EDIT: That's a big drop, holy crap.

If I'm ever knifed by a small ninja, I did it all for wing chun.