Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    the example i was thinking was more on the lines of, if you are fighting three guys, you arent gonna pull guard if you do hit the ground, you will scramble is if your life depended on it... because it might... in competition you can afford to lay back, take a breath and start from there...

i use that anologfy because im trying to stick to youknowhos original criticisms... keep it simple and not too confusing... this board is moving fast...
    Just to be an ass ( and to chanell T over here from the WC forum, LOL ), people often use this example and fail to see how incorrect it is.
    Granted being on the floor VS multiples is NOT the place you wanna be, simply because it is hard to run away..
    that said, understand that you have to options:
    Being on Top
    Being on the bottom ( perferably with guard).
    Now, being on top allows you to GnP and move to some degree, but also allows buddles 2 and 3 to tee off on your head, face back and so forth and you still have to keep the guy on the bottom from getting out you too.
    Being on the floor with someone in your guard allows you to control HIM and shield yourself from buddies 2 and 3.

Just something to think of and train next time you can.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

by that definition sanjero I fight every day I work (I'm a short order cook).

Fighting for your life (or someone else's) just isn't the same...if you can't recognize that... well, I hope you never have to.

On another note...as far as what people are saying about American honor, and letting someone get up... for legal reasons if you knock someone down it's better to tell them not to get up then to keep pounding on them. 'course if they try to get up, then you have no choice...

Doesn't seem like anyone really disagrees here. Just want to argue I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Because no one has ever take out a person in the street with a right cross or left hook?
    How about a RNC? or some GnP ?
    ive never seen a street fight that used groundfighting. in my high school there were teen gangs like g lock and murda squad that gang up on people 20 vs 1 at night. i think maybe in small peaceful towns kids get drunk and watch too many ufc then they play fight one on one.

whether ur sport allows or dont allow ground fighting doesnt make it more or less realistic. its all for fun and money.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Just to be an ass ( and to chanell T over here from the WC forum, LOL ), people often use this example and fail to see how incorrect it is.
    Granted being on the floor VS multiples is NOT the place you wanna be, simply because it is hard to run away..
    that said, understand that you have to options:
    Being on Top
    Being on the bottom ( perferably with guard).
    Now, being on top allows you to GnP and move to some degree, but also allows buddles 2 and 3 to tee off on your head, face back and so forth and you still have to keep the guy on the bottom from getting out you too.
    Being on the floor with someone in your guard allows you to control HIM and shield yourself from buddies 2 and 3.

Just something to think of and train next time you can.
    actually i meant to scramble to get up and get away or atleast create some space, not to be on top... i'd rather be on the bottom than the top against two guys tho(insert g a y joke here)... anyways, like i said, im trying to keep it simple... but i do understand that...

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    ive never seen a street fight that used groundfighting. in my high school there were teen gangs like g lock and murda squad that gang up on people 20 vs 1 at night. i think maybe in small peaceful towns kids get drunk and watch too many ufc then they play fight one on one.

whether ur sport allows or dont allow ground fighting doesnt make it more or less realistic. its all for fun and money.
    actually ifg 20 murda squads were kicking my ass i'd pull guard right away and triangle all of em with my lanky legs

Fighting for your life (or someone else's) just isn't the same...if you can't recognize that... well, I hope you never have to.
    Dude, some of us have had to, more often then we care to remember.
    And yes, I am busting your balls

But the point is that fighting is fighting, period.
    And pretty much what you do in the ring is what will serve you on the street and I have yet to met ONE "ring fighter" that isn't aware of the difference, though have met some "streefighters" that don't have ANY clue.

The thing is, what you said can lead people into that ever dangerous pit hole of "different techniques for the ring than the street" when the reality is just not that.
    The bread and butter of the ring is what works on the street, technique wise/
    Think about it, does in pro fighter pop into your mind that you think will be easy to handle on the street?

LMAO, dude you go to school in Guelph !!
    The women there can kill a bull by the sheer power of their gas !!

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    pretty much anything where you don't go home in a body bag is a "game" or "sport"

the reality is, well, you can't re-create reality... nothing is going to simulate a real life and death struggle with a person trying to kill you... you can only approach approximations

however, what so many dismiss as "sports" do in fact do a dandy job of approaching those realities, especially once you understand the role of stress and adrenaline response
    QFT; in fact, the thing about "sports" is that, even though there are rules, there is the element of the unknown - even with a structured venue, rules, etc., there is the aspect of the opponent being "not your friend" (well, in most cases); and while there are certainly aspects of this that are very different from a street encounter, it's still about as close as you can get without actually going and fighting regularly on the streets (which, of course, some people do, and demonstrate time and again how an "untrained" fighter can have a significant advantage over a "trained" fighter because of their context-specific experience);

the analogy would be war-games and actual combat: you can approximate as much as possible but the real thing is still different; so you train the skill set but also train the ability to deal with the unknown; but until you actually do it, you don't "know it"

Dude, some of us have had to, more often then we care to remember.
    And yes, I am busting your balls

But the point is that fighting is fighting, period.
    And pretty much what you do in the ring is what will serve you on the street and I have yet to met ONE "ring fighter" that isn't aware of the difference, though have met some "streefighters" that don't have ANY clue.

The thing is, what you said can lead people into that ever dangerous pit hole of "different techniques for the ring than the street" when the reality is just not that.
    The bread and butter of the ring is what works on the street, technique wise/
    Think about it, does in pro fighter pop into your mind that you think will be easy to handle on the street?
    agreed... but the risk factor changes and that makes certain techniques more appealing than others... more practical than others... also in a real fight you have weapons and alot of the time you do have the option of atleast trying to just get away and avoid the whole thing...

the analogy would be war-games and actual combat: you can approximate as much as possible but the real thing is still different; so you train the skill set but also train the ability to deal with the unknown; but until you actually do it, you don't "know it"
    You can put as many rounds into a target, but until you do it for real, it is only for practice.
    Many times I wish we were able to "spar" as snipers...
    See shooting a person or someone shooting back at you or shooting a "shape", that is one thing.
    Putting your cross hairs on someone, seeing their eyes, the life in them...
    You never forget that and there is NOTHING that prepares you for it, nothing.
    Wish that there was.

Sure on the street we are aware of the difference, but when that feeling clicks in, the adrenaline kicks in, where we see.hear/smell/taste evertyhing al at once, that is what you get when you fight someone trying to take your head off.
    Again, these is still a difference, some would say a huge one, but you are far more prepared than is you had never felt it before.

LMAO, dude you go to school in Guelph !!
    The women there can kill a bull by the sheer power of their gas !!
    im from east coast halifax.

speaking of guelph ,theres hundreds of barfights a year but no one ever get killed. i think small pusy towns like this is where the false ideas of "the streets" come from. in halifax kids stab taxi drivers for fun.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

also, look at the difference between rio heroes and ufc... both are mma... but they are not the same... one is alot more realistic than the other...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    agreed... but the risk factor changes and that makes certain techniques more appealing than others... more practical than others... also in a real fight you have weapons and alot of the time you do have the option of atleast trying to just get away and avoid the whole thing...
    And all those things are applicable to ALL people involved, not just the "ring guy".
    Dude, I carry either an Emerson or a spyderco (depends on the fashion statement I am making) and I have an ASP in my car, not to mention I can kill you with my pinky toe, twice and the vast majority of MA I know, are the same way.

im from east coast halifax.

speaking of guelph ,theres hundreds of barfights a year but no one ever get killed. i think small pusy towns like this is where the false ideas of "the streets" come from. in halifax kids stab taxi drivers for fun.
    Halifax kids make Chuck Norris cry.

Like I said, don't think anyone disagrees... I've already acknowledged several times on this thread and others that sport-fighting is important...why can't I just talk about kung fu? Oy vey, this place is a challenge for me.

there are a lot of fighting techniques that aren't legal in sport, but work... pretty much all of the eagle claw kung fu I've learned is not allowed in sports, but seems like law enforcement officers (yes, I know this first hand) have found it pretty effective. it also is easily adapted to the ground.

Can I say that? Is that an okay thing to say? Hahaha.