Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911

How many times will Jackie go serious?

I hope this film does well for him. I like his serious stuff. I enjoyed Shinjuku Incident.
    A new Jackie Chan in 1911
    China Daily/Asia News Network
    Wednesday, Sep 28, 2011

Jackie Chan's latest film marks a milestone - in the actor's life, as well as in China's history. Not only is it the Hong Kong-born actor's 100th film (in which he steps firmly away from the goofy action-comedy he is famous for), but it also marks the 100th anniversary of the revolution that overthrew the last Chinese imperial dynasty.

Chan, 57, boned up on his history in order to make this movie. Set against the backdrop of a corrupt Qing Dynasty and foreign aggression, the film 1911 depicts revolutionary leader Sun Yat-sen and commander Huang Xing leading the Xinhai Revolution, which ended the system of feudal rule that had existed for hundreds of years in China.

Chan turned to historical material to better understand his role as the legendary General Huang.

"I hope that after seeing the film, audiences will forget Jackie Chan and remember Huang Xing, and what he and his fellow revolutionaries did for the country," he said in an interview.

To produce the movie, Chan, who is also the film's co-director, teamed up with Chinese film-maker Zhang Li, who is known for his insight into grand historical subjects.

On the day shooting was wrapped up, Chan added a three-minute fight scene in which he battles a group of assassins. The scene sees him eschewing his signature style of comedy, and is shot in a down-to-earth style.

The actor - who has starred in Eastern productions such as Drunken Master, as well as Hollywood films like Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon - is savvy enough to know that though Huang was not a martial artist, the scene may help the film's distribution overseas.

Taiwanese actor Winston Chao, who has played Sun Yat-sen four times in TV dramas and films, once again portrays the statesman, for whom he has developed a certain understanding.

"A key word of Sun's doctrine is 'fraternity'," Chao said. "He loves his people and hopes to improve their lives."

The film also depicts the romance between Huang and his wife, revolutionary Xu Zonghan, played by Chinese actress Li Bingbing, star of Snow Flower And The Secret Fan. The film premiered in China last Friday.

According to statistics from gewara.com, the largest online movie-ticket sales platform in the Yangtze Delta in China, 1911 was the second-most popular movie on that day.

More than 1,300 tickets were sold on the website last Friday - easily beating Hollywood's Captain America and Sanctum.

1911 opens in Singapore tomorrow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sex with Bingbing?

Now that's serious. LOL @ the half bottle of red wine.
    Jackie Chan's career first sex scene?
    Yahoo! NewsroomBy Rheus Wai Soh See | Yahoo! Newsroom – Thu, Sep 22, 2011 4:09 PM SGT

22 Sep – International martial arts icon and movie star Jackie Chan has shot his first bedroom scene, according to Sina sources.

The "lucky" girl is Mainland actress Li Bing Bing and it is for the upcoming historical drama "1911", an epic film being marketed as Jackie Chan's career century – it is his 100th movie.

To calm her nerves, Bing Bing was said to have downed half a bottle of red wine and some strong liquor, before taking off her clothes for the sexy scenes.

Jackie apparently joined her for the drink before they did their parts on the bed and is reported to have praised her professionalism and dedication.

However, the bedroom scene has been cut according to May Daily, in its report that it was obviously "too hot to handle".

The big-budget Chinese blockbuster will premiere this week in most territories worldwide.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres this Friday WORLDWIDE!

So this is actually going to open in America this Friday - a limited release, but still...it will be such a delight to see this on the big screen when it opens, in contrast to some sketchy DVD download - y'all know what I'm talking about...

Sure, it's probably not opening near you. It's opening near me however - Six theaters in striking distance - One is even my neighborhood theater where I see most of my movies!

October 7th
    ATLANTA, GA - Regal Hollywood 24
    BERKELEY, CA - Landmark Shattuck Cinema
    BOSTON, MA - Regal Fenway 13
    DALLAS, TX - Cinemark Legacy (Plano)
    DALLAS, TX - Cinemark Webb Chapel
    DENVER, CO - Denver FilmCenter/Colfax
    EAST BAY, CA - UA Emery Bay Stadium 10
    HONOLULU, HI - Consolidated Pearlridge 16
    HONOLULU, HI - Kahala 8
    HONOLULU, HI - Ward
    HOUSTON, TX - Cinemark Memorial City
    LOS ANGELES, CA - Chinese 6 Theaters
    ALHAMBRA, CA - Edwards Alhambra Renaissance 14
    MONROVIA, CA - Krikorian Monrovia 12
    NEW YORK, NY - Regal E-Walk Stadium 13
    PORTLAND, OR - Hollywood Theatre
    SACRAMENTO, CA - UA Laguna Village 12
    SAN DIEGO, CA - Reading Gaslamp Stadium 15
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA - 4-Star Theater
    SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Landmark Opera Plaza
    SAN JOSE, CA - Camera 12 Theaters
    SAN JOSE, CA - Century 24
    SEATTLE, WA - Regal Meridian 16
    TORONTO, ON, CANADA - TIFF Bell Lightbox
    TUKWILA, WA - Regal Parkway Plaza 12
    UNION CITY, CA - Century 25 Union Landing and XD
    VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA - Cineplex Odeon SilverCity Riverport
    VANCOUVER, BC, CANADA - Famous Players Station Square
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

WSJ coverage

There's a vid if you follow the link (it's subtitled in case you can't get through his accent )
    September 30, 2011, 9:45 AM HKT
    A Revolutionary Role for Jackie Chan

By Dean Napolitano

In a Movie That Marks a Career Milestone, Action Star Plays an Entirely Different Kind of Hero

For his 100th film, Jackie Chan (成龍) can add a new title to his résumé: revolutionary hero.

His latest film is “1911” (辛亥革命), a sprawling epic about China’s Xinhai Revolution, which led to the downfall of the Qing Dynasty. Mr. Chan stars as Huang Xing (黃興), a true-life military figure who worked alongside Sun Yat-sen (孫中山)—China’s first president—in establishing the Chinese republic. The film also stars Winston Chao (趙文瑄), Li Bingbing (李冰冰) and Joan Chen (陳冲).

Media Asia
    Jackie Chan stars as Huang Xing, a true-life figure of the Xinhai Revolution.

The movie reaches a pair of auspicious milestones: It comes on the centennial of the October 1911 Wuchang Uprising, which sparked the revolution. It also marks the 57-year-old Mr. Chan’s 100th movie in a career that’s spanned a half century, including his early Hong Kong action comedies like “Drunken Master” (醉拳) and the hit “Rush Hour” series in Hollywood.

Mr. Chan says that he was drawn to “1911” after the producers approached him to play the role of Huang Xing.

“They explained the whole story,” he says in an interview, detailing the war, the human drama and the historical aspects of the revolution. He was struck by the stories of the revolutionaries, giving their lives in order to advance their cause.

“Then I said ‘wow!’”

The development of modern China, says Mr. Chan, is “because of these people. They died for something. They did not die for nothing.”

He pushed aside work on another movie to hop on board, and it quickly became a passion project. “I’m so proud I’m involved in this movie, because I really learned something,” he says.

Nowadays many Chinese people—both in China and around the world—aren’t familiar with the events of 1911 that changed the course of the country’s history, he says. “Not even my children—even myself—there are a lot of things I don’t really know,” he says. “But now, I realize how very important” the events of 1911 were—they “changed the whole of China.”

Mr. Chan says the trappings of modern materialism have pushed aside interest in history. Children today just know “what kind of telephone they are going to buy, what kind of clothes, what kind of car, what kind of food,” he says. “No. Don’t forget what [the revolutionaries] did for us. … Don’t forget history.”

The film marks another personal turning point in Mr. Chan’s career. In recent years, he has been stretching his talents beyond the action-adventure comedies that made him famous to take on more dramatic roles. Gone are the days of his trademark death-defying stunts, such as his mid-air leap onto a floating hot air balloon in 1986’s “Armour of God” (龍兄虎弟). But he still maintains a busy career, releasing a few films a year and alternating regularly between Asia and Hollywood.

In 2009’s “Shinjuku Incident” (新宿事件) he played an illegal Chinese immigrant in Japan who gets caught up in Tokyo’s organized-crime gangs. It was a dark film without any of the traditional Chan stunt set pieces.

Last year, he appeared in the Hollywood remake of “The Karate Kid,” winning strong reviews for his role as a handyman who mentors a young American boy in kung fu. The film was a huge hit, and Mr. Chan will soon begin work on a sequel.

But he hasn’t completely abandoned action comedy, having also starred last year in “The Spy Next Door” as a secret agent living in suburban U.S.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Weak review in the S.F. Chron today

Weak because the reviewer doesn't really review the flick. A best of? Talk about phoning it in... but still, always good to read about Jackie in the morning paper.

'1911': Jackie Chan's 100th film
    G. Allen Johnson, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Thursday, October 6, 2011
    Well Go USA Entertainment / Variance Films

Jackie Chan is Chinese revolutionary leader Huang Xing and Li Bing Bing is his wife, Xu Zonghan, in "1911," Chan's 100th film.
    View Larger Image

A bit of cinema history comes to San Francisco on Friday with the release of Jackie Chan's 100th film - just two weeks after it premiered in China. Fans might be disappointed there is only one martial arts scene in "1911," but we're lucky to get that: After all, the man is 57, and the film is a sweeping, big-budget epic of the Chinese Revolution. The action is on the battlefield or around politicians' negotiating tables.

Chan's reputation is secure as one of the great action stars of all time, and no one would begrudge him if he simply retired. But the movies are too embedded in his DNA - he's been at it now for a half century, since his child-star days. He'll never quit.

In the past year, Chan seems to have entered another stage of his career, becoming an accomplished, well-rounded actor. He was Jaden Smith's teacher in last year's remake of "The Karate Kid" and added charisma and support in the Chinese "Shaolin," which played in the Bay Area last month.

In "1911," which he co-directed, he's deadly serious - and quite good - as Huang Xing, a revolutionary leader known as The Eight-Fingered General (in the opening scenes, you'll see why).

I'm glad he's evolving, and may he make a hundred more movies, but allow me to take a trip down memory lane with my picks of the five best Jackie Chan movies:

"Drunken Master" (1978): For years after Bruce Lee's death, producers were looking for a replacement. Many tried, none succeeded, and that includes Chan. But Chan finally decided to stop trying to be the next Bruce Lee and instead focused on being the first Jackie Chan. "Drunken Master" allowed him to display his personality as a physically talented comedian.

"Project A" (1983) / "Project A, Part 2" (1987): Chan is heavily influenced by Buster Keaton, and this film plus its sequel, set at the turn of the 20th century, have the feel of stunt-driven silent comedies - he even re-creates one of Keaton's biggest stunts, the collapsing house, at the end of "Part 2."

"Police Story" (1985): Imagine a comedic "Dirty Harry," with spectacular death-defying stunts that just keep getting bigger over each movie in the series. (There are three of them, including the great "Supercop" with Michelle Yeoh matching Chan stunt for stunt.) The original is best and is one of the films that ushered in the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema.

"Armour of God 2: Operation Condor" (1991): This globe-trotting "Indiana Jones" clone is pure entertainment with great stunts, action and one of his best set pieces (a fight in a wind tunnel) at the climax. Can't go wrong here.

Starts Fri. 4 Star, 2200 Clement St., S.F. (415) 666-3488. www.lntsf.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Facebook

If you 'like' Jackie Chan on Facebook, he released a special vid just for those fans. I don't know how special it is, because I haven't seen a lot of trailers for this film.

For tomorrow's premiere!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

No box office results yet

The U.S. Box will be minimal as it is a limited release. It's the Asian Box I'm after and I still have yet to find a good resource for that.
    ‘1911’ has a fighting chance
    James Verniere By James Verniere
    Friday, October 7, 2011 - Updated 4 days ago

“1911” Not rated. In English and Mandarn with subtitles. At Regal Fenway Stadium.: B+

A big, sprawling epic about the birth of modern-day China, “1911” is a cen-ten-ary tribute to the men and women of the Revolutionary Alliance who put their lives on the line to topple the corrupt Qing Dynasty and end Chinese feudalism.

The film, co-directed by cinematographer Zhang Li (“Red Cliff”) and the great Jackie Chan (it’s also supposed to be Chan’s 100th film), revolves around three characters.

They are Sun Yat-Sen (Winston Chao, who has played Sun Yat-Sen before, most notably in the 1997 film “The Soong Sisters”), who spends many years abroad raising money and awareness to support the revolution, often from nations such as Britain and Germany that have benefited from Chinese corruption and even colonized it; Huang Xing (Chan), a soldier who has learned the art of modern warfare in Japan; and Xu Zonghan (Bingbing Li of “Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame”), a nurse who marries Xing and risks her life on the battlefield beside her great love.

It’s a bit like “Pearl Harbor” and at other times “Doctor Zhivago,” and Chan especially proves yet again that he has the dramatic chops to go along with his martial arts skills, which he only shows off in one scene here. While many scenes are clumsily preachy and expository, the fight scenes are terrific.

“1911” is politically correct, revisionist Chinese history to be sure. But we are reminded that the greedy Qing Dynasty gave Hong Kong to England and Taiwan to the Japanese, and the film is a fascinating companion piece to Bernardo Bertolucci’s Academy Award-winning “The Last Emperor” (1987), which covers some of the same ground.

When either the Dowager Empress (a half-crazed Joan Chen) or her grandson, fated to be the “last em-peror,” weep, as they do when they hear of the fate of Louis XVI of France, all the courtiers must hit the decks until the “divine” deluges pass.

The fighting begins with the Second Guangzhou Uprising in which student revolutionary fighters led by Huang Xing, battle Qing guards and try to take the residence of the local viceroy.

The battle ends in catastrophic defeat, and most of the fighters are captured and later executed. But the revolutionary fuse is lit. As you might expect, the photography is spectacular, the fight scenes elaborately staged, and it is hard to believe that this film was made for only $30 million.

(“1911” contains graphic war violence.)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Box Office Mojo

I use this one from time to time.

Box Office Mojo International

I usually use BoxOfficeMojo

I used it just this morning. Unfortunately, it's about as good as IMDB when it comes to Chinese films.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

just bought the dvd and watched it.

good.

dynamic between yuan si kai and Dr. Sun is very close to facts.

over all very jampacked but good movies.

http://twitter.com/#!/ShyhwenPeterJa...724992/photo/1

http://twitter.com/#!/ShyhwenPeterJa...694656/photo/1

I saw it in the theater yesterday. A very well-acted movie, esp. by the actor who played Sun Yat-sen. It's very well-made.

I have one question, though. There's a white American character (or a historical figure???) who was named Homer Lea, a friend of Dr. Sun's. Was the character supposed to be slightly impaired, or did they hire a non-actor to play the role? Because his acting level seemed way out of place, considering the quality of the movie.

Although a good movie and interesting historically, it's not the type of film I would care to watch twice.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thumbs up

there are many more detail tales surrounding the events dipicted in the movies.

the movie director tried to tell the events on a personal level/touch.

the movie started with qiu jin, the first woman/mother of 2 to believe the cause and took action. She died/sacrificed for the cause for new China for many more childrens and daugthers (correct).

on the other hand, the qing foreign representive and his daughter knew that china will change. to show their loyalty to old china and qing, they comitted suicide (correct). They wanted to be no part of new china.

--

Li yuan hong was a timid quy. He was pushed to be the leader of new army that rose up (correct)

Yuan Si kai fired on one city then stopped. He was thinking about power and money for his bei yang jun. (correct)

--

it is very well depicted movies about all the characters involved on a personal level..

what they were thinking or persuing--- right or wrong

--

in that sense, this is a very good movie more close to truth or facts.

imagine that if you were in their positions, what would you do?

lots to think about. selfish and unselfish causes etc etc

---

kind of rush for many and many stories

but glancing them over with human faces/hearts.

A+.

Holmer wanted to follow Dr. Sun around.

He wanted to be part of the cause and witness history firsthand.

and he did

he witnessed the election of the first (temp) president of China, Republic (south)

the north was still under Yuan and his bei yang jun.

Dr. Sun was in a hurry to lay foundation for republic and have laws in place.

so China may not revert back to monarchy again. (correct)

---