Thread: Who brought Mantis to the US?

Who brought Mantis to the US?

Who were the original teachers that brought Mantis Kung Fu to the US? In modern times I mean. Does anyone know the dates?

So far I have found this info at the Mantis Cave

Chiu Leun: Began teaching 7* in NYC in 1960.
    Brendan Lai: Began teaching NPM in California in 1967.
    Peter Kwong: Began teaching NPM in California in the 1960s.
    Liang Kam Yuen: Began teaching in California in the late 1960s.

These are the earliest US teachers I could find.

Thanks in advance!

Richard A. Tolson
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-31-2010 at 07:17 PM.

I think that Chan Poi started teaching Americans before anyone. Some Wah Lum Shifu's might be able to verify if he started teaching Americans around 1969-1971.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    I think that Chan Poi started teaching Americans before anyone. Some Wah Lum Shifu's might be able to verify if he started teaching Americans around 1969-1971.
    Brendan Lai taught Mantis in 1967.

Brendan Lai (November 15, 1942- September 23, 2002) was a Chinese martial artist who studied and taught Northern Style Seven Star Praying Mantis Gung Fu.

Lai was born in Hong Kong and eventually became a disciple of the Seven Star Praying Mantis Gung Fu Grandmaster Wong Hon-Fun after studying that system for many years. In 1961, Lai came to the United States to attend college, and in his spare time, he worked very diligently to improve his skills. In 1967, he started teaching the Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung-Fu system.

OK,
    CP wasn't first, maybe in the top 6?

Silly white people...a wandering Taoist stumbled into america with the slave labor of railroad workers!
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

i began studying npm from Brendan Lai in 1968 on Clement st. i remember that there was still students who learned at Brendan Lai's garage. Two brothers who Brendan Lai kicked out were already teaching at this time. His older classmate Peter Kwong was already teaching privately. i hope this helps in your quest.

I really should do some research on this first but right off the bat I would have to agree with what jake is saying, during the industrial age many chinese immigrants came to the US in the early 1900's bringing in skills like cooking, caligraphy, taiji, kung fu and various other things in thier culture.

I would strongly have to say that mantis was in the US at least a century before the
    60's but who knows I might be completly wrong.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

It is true that someone taught PM in th e USA way before 1960's.

In fact GM Lai Hon kuai who was one generation above GM Peter Kwong and GM Brendan Lai in Seven Star PM taught at SF Chinatown KMT HQ on Stockton Street in 1935 under the approval of the Jing Mo Association from Shanghai for a short time period.

There are more than likely others before him and one has to locate the "Old Dragons" who were around to know who they were.

Back in 1963 I knew several people that did Mantis, and they were taught by an old fellow that was said to be a grand master or some such. That was in the Chinese community of New Orleans. I suspect that a bunch of this stuff did actually come over with the Chinese immigrants that built our roads and railroads.

Number one... I was joking!

Number 2:
    When mantis came over, or when it was openly taught? Two totally different things!

Number 3:
    I have no clue, so I am no help here.
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

LOL well jake joking or not, I think your onto something. i.e I never knew about praying mantis style until 1984 but then again I was a karate guy so we live we learn. and Mantis has been around a long time.... the west is young
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thanks for the feedback guys!