Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KUng fu fighting without hopping around....

KUng fu fighting without hopping around....

Here is a clip showing a kung fu fighting competition. One of the fighters (in black) hops around and looks like he is from the Bruce Lee/kickboxing/Tae Kwon Do/pseudo TCMA/Glorified Kickboxing school of "kung fu". The other fighter in contrast has a very much solider base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdoEQ...eature=related

This video demonstrates that one can fight using a kung fu "seatednees". I would say that it is possible for a kung fu exponent to use even a "solider" stance than this guy, during combat.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-19-2010 at 04:22 PM.

some throws

1. carry the lower leg (bao tui shuai)

2. carry the shoulder (failed)

3. carry the thigh (upper leg)

4. carry the waist (bao yao shuai)

---

the rules favored throws

no head shot, meaning no KO.

a thrower may take some hits and get close enough

and throw the opponent away.

----

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    the rules favored throws

no head shot, meaning no KO.

a thrower may take some hits and get close enough

and throw the opponent away.

----
    Are you saying that one needs to hop around in a "non-seated" manner?

Blog Entries
    Hopping around (fire strategy) is one of the 5 elements fighting strategies. It has value to be used to against a "metal" strategy fighter. The earth strategy (solid stance) is not the only strategy that a Kung Fu guy will fight. A good Kung Fu fighter should be able to switch his strategies when needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Hopping around (fire strategy) is one of the 5 elements fighting strategies. It has value to be used to against a "metal" strategy fighter. The earth strategy (solid stance) is not the only strategy that a Kung Fu guy will fight. A good Kung Fu fighter should be able to switch his strategies when needed.
    Perhaps "hopping" around strategy exists in other styles of kung fu I am not aware of, but what according to what I have been taught in Wing Chun and Chow Gar, it is something that you just don't do.

I was also taught that this was a common approach in authentic kung fu training.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 06-19-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    We should not look at CMA from 1 or 2 style point of view. This is why to have "style boundary" in mind is not going to help our overall combat skill development. The southern CMA styles emphasize on the "earth strategy". The Kempo Karate guy will be a good example. When a Kempo guy fight, he will stay in a low side way horse stance. His leading arm will drop down to protect his body from kicks. His back hand will raise to protect his head from punches. He will move in inch by inch until you have no place to back up, he will then attack. The reason that this is called "earth" strategy because you move in so slow which is almost not noticeable (as part of the earth). It's a good strategy but it's not the only strategy.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Could you please explain what exactly the five strategies are according to the wuxing? I'm intrigued.
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

The Kempo Karate guy will be a good example. When a Kempo guy fight, he will stay in a low side way horse stance.
    thats from hong kong movies
    Last edited by bawang; 06-20-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    Could you please explain what exactly the five strategies are according to the wuxing? I'm intrigued.
    The 5 elements theory (one against the other, one help the other) can be Google all over the internet. I only explain the "combat" usage of the 5 elements theory here.

Metal - use your elbow, knee to meet your opponent's kicks and punches (Hong Gar).
    Wood - use long range round house kick, side kick, spin back kick, ... to kick your opponent from distance (TKD).
    Water - Defensive fighter, only response to the outside force (Aikido).
    Fire - Offensive fighter, hop around, good foot work, hard to predict what will happen next (boxer).
    Earth - excellent defense, move in slowly (Kempo).

It's not difficult to figure out why one can be used to against another. For example.

- When a TKD guy kicks, you drop your elbow on his ankle or instep, meet you shin bone against his leg (cut into his legs), after he can't kick you any more, it will be your turn.
    - Also when a guy likes to use his sharp elbow and shin bone to meet your kicks o punches, if you use strong defense, move in slowly, don't throw any long rang attack, you will put the metal fighter in a helpless situation (nothing to cut).
    - It's not hard to finish the rest of the 5 elements relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    thats from hong kong movies
    Because I wrote that movie script.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-20-2010 at 12:27 AM.

youknowwho sometime you say very strange things. im scare. where is that five element from? what style kung fu u do???

We should not look at CMA from 1 or 2 style point of view.
    We have to look at it that way if we have experience only in one or two styles. However, both styles that I have studied have a comprehensive approach to combat, yet we did not have hopping taught to us as a strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    This is why to have "style boundary" in mind is not going to help our overall combat skill development.
    In my humble opinion each genuine kung fu style has infinite possibilities within its "boundaries", which will include its principles and concepts, which in my case do not allow for hopping around during fighting.

The southern CMA styles emphasize on the "earth strategy". The Kempo Karate guy will be a good example.
    I am not familiar with kempo karate.

When a Kempo guy fight, he will stay in a low side way horse stance. His leading arm will drop down to protect his body from kicks. His back hand will raise to protect his head from punches. He will move in inch by inch until you have no place to back up, he will then attack.
    In both of my Southern Styles, we don't back up. When an attack is perceived then we move FORWARD instantly and FAST (not inch by inch) and "do the guy in".

The reason that this is called "earth" strategy because you move in so slow which is almost not noticeable (as part of the earth). It's a good strategy but it's not the only strategy.
    To me moving slow does not make sense. You can be attached to earth energy while moving fast as well, as long as you "sink" and are "seated". I say this because I assume that the opponent will not necessarily, or always be waiting for one to inch his his way close to him.

I can imagine scenarios when some TCMA stylists may hop out of range if they are in danger but hopping around like a boxer or kickboxer is not what comes to mind, as one can still be "seated" when he takes an emergency leap backward.

Blog Entries
    youknowwho sometime you say very strange things. im scare.
    Because I don't belong to the main stream. CMA guys think I'm a MMA guy and MMA guys think I'm a CMA guy.

where is that five element from? what style kung fu u do???
    What I have just explained came from the long fist system. My major styles are Shuai Chiao and long fist. My minor styles are prey mantis, Baji, Lohan, Zimen, Taiji, XingYi, Baugua (8 palms only), WC.

I had stated this combat theory in some none-CMA forum, nobody was appreciated. Since this is a CMA forum, I thought I may give it a try. If this theory make sense to you, or can help you in combat, it will be yours, and you can teach others if you want to. If it doesn't make sense to you, just ignore it. As long as one person on the internet can be benefited from this little piece of information, my keyboard time will not be wasted.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-20-2010 at 12:46 AM.

so u just make up some random sh1t and called it 5 elements?
    nice *rubs testicles

i think boxing and taekwondo is the most internal and advanced fighting. the hopping around is like a taoist immortal floating in the air, or like the hopping of the deadly praying mantits. i call it immortal praying mantits shaolin wudang kung fu tao.. does anyone want to lern from me? 10$/lesson

im poar and i ned monies for kfc
    Last edited by bawang; 06-20-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    This forum looks more and more like Bullsh!ido now.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-20-2010 at 12:53 AM.