Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Push hands - what are the ins-n-outs?

My exposure to Chen Taiji was limited, only a few years on and off and it was because I was adding some things to my aresenal and the Taiji sifu was a friend of a friend and wanted some of his guys to get some "real world" application for their taiji.
    The push hands I was exposed to was very much "clinch wrestling" but because of the limited scope they were accustomed too it was very easy, in the beginning, to take them out of their comfort zone and that highly specific "sensitvity" fell through.
    Of course, with a few minor changes ( and a couple of major ones), they were able to adapt very well.
    That is the case with the vast majority of "sensitivity training" like push hands and sticky hands.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    My exposure to Chen Taiji was limited, only a few years on and off and it was because I was adding some things to my aresenal and the Taiji sifu was a friend of a friend and wanted some of his guys to get some "real world" application for their taiji.
    The push hands I was exposed to was very much "clinch wrestling" but because of the limited scope they were accustomed too it was very easy, in the beginning, to take them out of their comfort zone and that highly specific "sensitvity" fell through.
    Of course, with a few minor changes ( and a couple of major ones), they were able to adapt very well.
    That is the case with the vast majority of "sensitivity training" like push hands and sticky hands.
    yep when i first did clinch fighting it was like, "hey this is fully body sticky hands and they actually let you go to the finish and dont keep resetting you its great!"

I just finished subtitling this mini-lecture on push hands by one of the all time greats. Wu style Master Wang Peisheng. In the middle there's a part that I am sure people will wail and gnash their teeth with lots of complaints about well trained students but his skill is very real. At least he doesn't explain the no touch stuff with qi or magic. He explains that he is leading the persons intent. At times his stuff looks very much like Aikido.

There is surprisingly little information about him online. He was the head of the northern Wu style of Taijiquan and learned Bagua from Ma Gui who was a student of Dong Haichuan. He talks a lot about pressure points and qi but nevertheless, he is one of the guys with a serious rep as a fighter. So take that as you will. Anyways, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlS3fBR2k0

lol. push hands has little if any value at all as a method of learning self defense.

To stick with it for years is castrating yourself martially and to enter into competitions for it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

to a sh1t taichi guy everything is push hands. tai chi is push hands.
    one time i asked this guy what "groin punch" app is. "well you first yield his jab, then stick to his arm and make a bridge. this is very important. then pengggggg, luuuuuu, push!!"
    Last edited by bawang; 09-13-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Yeah, it's like people expect "hide fist under elbow" or "advance step, parry and punch" to be anything but Ji.

To me, Fa Jin and Ji are like drum and drumstick.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    I just finished subtitling this mini-lecture on push hands by one of the all time greats. Wu style Master Wang Peisheng. In the middle there's a part that I am sure people will wail and gnash their teeth with lots of complaints about well trained students but his skill is very real. At least he doesn't explain the no touch stuff with qi or magic. He explains that he is leading the persons intent. At times his stuff looks very much like Aikido.

There is surprisingly little information about him online. He was the head of the northern Wu style of Taijiquan and learned Bagua from Ma Gui who was a student of Dong Haichuan. He talks a lot about pressure points and qi but nevertheless, he is one of the guys with a serious rep as a fighter. So take that as you will. Anyways, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlS3fBR2k0
    Master Wang was a great man. He came to the US in the early 90s and paid a visit to NYC where he met with my teacher Yu Cheng Hsiang and his class. He spent 19 years in prison in China because he represented the Four Olds as a very traditional martial artist and Chinese medical practitioner. That was in the days when Mao wanted to get rid of everyone like him. Before the government decided they could make money from the traditional arts and effectively took them over. Master Wang was a Wu practitioner and the real deal. For people like him and my teacher, push hands is just a means of testing oneself, not an end in itself. His art was lethal up until his death in his 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    To me, Fa Jin and Ji are like drum and drumstick.
    can u define both 4 me please...

Well, Drum is really bad cheap tobacco, and drumsticks are from KFC. What he's saying is if you don't chain smoke you can't have good kung fu, and if you don't have a KFC every three blocks, you must not be in China, and so your kung fu sucks again.

For $9,800 and some KFC, I know a guy who'll help you make your kung fu look real nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfinn View Post
    His art was lethal up until his death in his 90s.
    in what capacity was the "lethality" of his art ever demonstrated? did he ever kill anybody using his Wu taiji? and if so, how old was he the last time he used his Wu taiji to off someone?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    in what capacity was the "lethality" of his art ever demonstrated? did he ever kill anybody using his Wu taiji? and if so, how old was he the last time he used his Wu taiji to off someone?
    dis what im talking about. all the bs hype. lethal my ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    a drumstick is a small baby cow that hasnt opened its eyes yet resembling a purple ripe eggplant
    Last edited by bawang; 09-22-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    A drum only makes sound when struck; A drumstick only makes sound when striking. One without the other means no sound, no effect. To me, Ji Jin and Fa Jin are connected like drum and drumstick.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Reviving this thread because I was just introduced to this, to my eye anyways, incredible push hands clip. This is what it's all about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpce_...layer_embedded

You could dial it up a bit if you wanted and add some striking or real throws but you could also just spar. I think that this clip is really exemplary in showing the kind of work it is best designed for which is....fairly abstract. It's best used as a way to train your body to react and move "according to Taiji principles and techniques".

The teacher in this clip is just toying with his student and it's not competitive but it's not cooperative either. They are having fun. It's kind of like technical sparring. The student really is trying his damdest to apply stuff and the teacher is applying stuff all the time but then just letting it go because it's not about winning. If he was a musician, you could say that he was "noodling". And before anyone gets their nuts in a bunch asking "but can he fight"...yes. Back when he was younger he won one of those full contact South East Asia leitai things where they just wore gardening gloves and a cup. His students box and do randori type drills as well but this clip here should give a good idea of the kind of body method that push hands is trying to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Reviving this thread because I was just introduced to this, to my eye anyways, incredible push hands clip. This is what it's all about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpce_...layer_embedded
    That is not "what it's all about" in my eyes. I did not like that push hands clip at all. Also the student seemed to move in a way that indicated cooperation.

As far as "playing around" goes - experimenting, doing semi-semi-serious stuff - here is my friend Richard and our instructor Kevin playing Rou Shou:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuh42eHMuU

And here is an interesting Wu Tai ji Tui Shou Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUf1llA3HXg

Those clips are enjoyable to me because the practitioners are exerting a goal-oriented effort. The Peter Ralston stuff had no discernible goal. It did not sit well with me. Minus points for P.R.

Here is what I like to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_Zt...eature=related

Of course I prefer it if both competitors are more evenly matched.

In the end I believe Tai Ji's "non-striking skills" are best trained and expressed under a Shuai Jiao ruleset.

You should ask Kevin's opinion about the Ralston clip. I suspect he sees a lot more going on there than you realize.

I have always liked that Wu clip. It's a good example but not nearly as interesting to me as the Ralston clip. It's basically Shuai Jiao. It's very relaxed Shuai Jiao but his partner is not as good, IMO, as the guy struggling with Ralston and they are really just doing Shuai. In the Ralston clip he is cycling between striking, throwing, simple evasion, playing with root. It is, IMHO, far more creative work. Much of the technique Ralston is applying gets missed by his audience because he keeps letting things go. It would be a bit like if the Wu guy kept playing around and setting up throws but then not actually throwing the guy. Sometimes maybe even lifting the guy off the ground, sometimes just ****ing with his balance and then pausing just enough to let the student recover.

The only other place I have seen work like this is in a couple of BJJ clips here and there where I have seen guys rolling just going through set-ups, going for position and then abandoning it just so they could practice getting it again and so on.

The Chen village clip is kind of fun but not particularly high level or anything. Just a fairly competent Chen guy somewhat but not completely outclassing one of the tourists. He's doing pretty basic stuff. It's enjoyable to watch but pretty technical. Nothing especially "Taiji" about it.