Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "A strong fighter is not one who always wins, but one who stands after defeat."

"A strong fighter is not one who always wins, but one who stands after defeat."

What do you guys think about this quote? I always acknowledge martial artists that believe winning isn't everything. (Btw, i took this quote from Street Fighter 4 lol)

think Rocky Balboa said it better...

" Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! "
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

i dunno... i see what the quote is trying to say... but riddle me this: if you have a rock for a head and you take a vicious beating and dont even land one attack of your own, yet you walk away from it... are you a strong fighter???

no... you have a strong head, and maybe you are too headstrong to stay down when youre beat(yeah yeah no pun intended)... but a strong fighter? no...

if youre an athlete and you keep loosing close decisions top great fighters and whatnot, then yeah i'd say youre a strong fighter...

from a more metaphorical perspective, which is the intent im sure, its pretty valid... if losing makes you work harder, and if you hold your head up high after a fight then that could be considered strength... if you consider pride a strength, that is, and im not sure i do... i think it can be as much a weakness as a strength... yin and yang, right...

Oh Daniel-san...that is not the Kobra Kai way!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

if you don't know the answer to something... never hesitate to use violence.

if that still doesn't do the trick,

then you're clearly not USING ENOUGH.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

mystical clap trap the kind of thing said by people who never actually win anything

a strong fighter is one who learns from his losses but who goes on to dominate his opponents

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    mystical clap trap the kind of thing said by people who never actually win anything

a strong fighter is one who learns from his losses but who goes on to dominate his opponents
    It depends upon how one defines winning. When I was in high school I was a State class swimmer, I won or placed, usually, in the top three nearly every race. I always admired my friends who never did as well as me, very rarely even placing, but they never gave up training, or trying. It is easy when you are always winning, it is much more difficult when you never win, but just keep trying anyway. To me that is where the example is.

Years ago a top Ironman athlete said, when asked about his success, "It is easy for me. I come out, go 2-2.5hrs and take a shower. It is those who are out here 4, 6, 8hrs that are the ones to admire. They have no hope of winning or even placing, but they are out here just the same, going until the end."

That was a paraphrase

So, is strength determined by a winning record, or by the quality of character? It is easy to win, it is much more difficult to keep losing but never give up!

I think you guys watch too much television and play too many video games.

Everything I know I learned from Comic books!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hey Scott, I was also a Varsity swimmer, (backstroke) and also always placed in the top three (actually only took third twice, the rest firsts and seconds)
    and there was this this one guy, who always swam "Unofficial." Unofficial was when there was an extra lane open, anyone could get in there and compete-no points, just to be in there. He was always happy to. I asked him why he always does it, and he says,"Look, I know I'm not as fast as you guys, but I just love getting in there!"
    Swim team workouts sucked! They were grueling. (from what I can recall..)20 min warm-up continuous swimming-going for 72 laps (1 mile)
    then stretching, push-ups and leg raises.
    Then the workout started; 400's,100 pulls (arms only) 100 kicking, 100 freestyle,100breast, 100 IM, fifty's, 25's, the relays, and finally individual workouts (starts, flipturns,etc)
    I hated the workout. It was never fun, always being pushed by the clock, the coach, the guy behind you.
    This guy went through it all, every day, and never was first string-and he never quit. I really respected his attitude.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Well, losing counts for squat. When in high school, I could swim faster and longer than anyone on the swim team. And I never trained at it. But, because I was a Chinaman they decided I could not be on their swim team. They lost every meet that they swam in, and they trained real hard each and every day. So much for losing. They were ridiculed by all. If you lose, you are a loser. Any way you look at it, you are a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Well, losing counts for squat. When in high school, I could swim faster and longer than anyone on the swim team. And I never trained at it. But, because I was a Chinaman they decided I could not be on their swim team. They lost every meet that they swam in, and they trained real hard each and every day. So much for losing. They were ridiculed by all. If you lose, you are a loser. Any way you look at it, you are a loser.
    Only by people like you!

Losers in sports are ridiculed by people who need to identify with a winner because they are losers themselves. There are plenty of fans of professional football, baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. teams that never or rarely win.

It is very doubtful that you out swam trained swimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    there was this this one guy, who always swam "Unofficial." Unofficial was when there was an extra lane open, anyone could get in there and compete-no points, just to be in there. He was always happy to. I asked him why he always does it, and he says,"Look, I know I'm not as fast as you guys, but I just love getting in there!"

and thats real...any other motives would be purely competetive... i should hope everyone there did it for the love of the sport... its fun to compete, in general, but you would think the smart cookies would compete in sports they actually love, not just ones theyre good at or maybe had their parents pushed them into... the latter being pretty sad IMO... nothing worse than trying to relive your youth through your children... its ok to get caught up and live vicariously through them to an extent, but a small extent... once that vicariousness starts dictating terms, you are screwing up your kids... nothing worse than violent hocky dads... brutal...

but yeah, thats awesome that the guy came out and went at it everytime... i bet he was a happy person... miserable people dont do stuff like that

People who aren't as good learn to set their sights lower, but they still want to win. All this "winning isn't important" crap is crap.

1. do forms
    2. ?
    3. win
    Last edited by bawang; 09-07-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC