Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Choi Lei Fut

Northern Choi Lei Fut

Ive heard over the years many times that Choi Lei Fut is unique in the fact that it is the only style that claims to be both a Northern and a Southern style in terms of its roots. Im not sure if the style every has reached the north but probably not. However the construct of the style does indicate smoother flow and structure indicative of northern styles. In my opinion. And yes there are so many northern weapons in the arsenal too.

I hope not to bring too much history into this but does anyone know what the Northern distinction arose from? Was one of the predecessors a northern stylist?

I found this old article called "Northern Choy Li Fut"

I think his article is referring to Buk Sing CLF.

But seaking of your point, there is a lot of northern on CLF specially on the internal, you can see even Taoist influence.

Blog Entries
    joseph,

what does chan yiu chi's manual say about tthis?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Hi Frank,

What I have access to, Chan Yiu-Chi's writing made no distinction between northern and southern, but then I don't have access to all his documents, nor do I have any access to Koon-Pak or Chan Heung's manuscripts either, so I cannot give you a definite answer from Chan family point of view, may be they don't divide their kung Fu into northern and southern like we tried to do these days.

Within CLF, some people these days also tried to divide it into King Mui CLF, Kong Men CLF, Guangzhou CLF, Futsan CLF, Northern CLF, Souther CLF, Chan Family and Whatever Family CLF, etc. etc. But at the end of the day it is still CLF.

So there you go, Frank, through your hard-earned research, you now have Chinese Masonic CLF
    (門永)蔡李佛!

Congratulations Grandmaster Frank, you are now the founder of a new style or a new branch of CLF! We can now all kowtow to you, Grandmaster Frank.

XJ

PS: I hope you can take a joke brother Frank, I am just try to get a point across - CLF is CLF, we are family, so don't try to divide it, it will be bad for all of us. We are like a big old tree, cut all the branches and the roots off and the tree will die.
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 09-07-2010 at 03:43 AM.

i dont like how choy lee fut makes up forms and names it after famous northern styles. like plum flower and luohan boxing.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Hi ba wang,

What you are saying is a bit like accusing the southern Chinese copied their surname with the same "Wang" belonging to the northern Chinese!

Could it be that both kung fu shared the same source and origin, cultural, geographical, philosophical and religious wise (ie. Buddhist Shaolin as in "Fut" in Choy Lee Fut)? Hence the similar names are passed down.

XJ
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 09-07-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    oh yes, i can take a joke brother Joseph. for the most part, our little debates are always very amusing to me.

However, funny or not,Chan Heung is/was one of our brothers in Hung Mun. interestingly enough, neither Koon Pak nor Chan Yiu Chi were not according to the Chan Family sources i have.

the Hung Mun was a HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEEE part of southern Chinese life. More than 75 percent of the men there changed their names to include the Hung name in it. And, for Chan Heung's Choy Lee Fut, and Jeung Hung Sing's version of Choy Lee Fut the connection to the Hung Mun is far far far more than just the type of bow we perform. The pattern of the Fut San Hung Sing Kwoon can be superimposed over the Hung Character and you will see that mixed with the Hung Mun Bow that it PERFECTLY FITS...PERFECTLY.

What we all know as gung fu techniques are also secret hand signals for the Hung Mun as they were representative of things like the 5 Ancestors, their beliefs, and much much more.

being inspired is ok. when u push it and name "dai lohan" "siu lohan" "dai muifa" "siu muifa" u cross the line. because thats not only very specific northern styles, thats very specific northern forms.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Could it be that both kung fu shared the same source and origin, cultural, geographical, philosophical and religious wise (ie. Buddhist Shaolin as in "Fut" in Choy Lee Fut)? Hence the similar names are passed down.
    For the Chan Family of CLF the word FUT is used in a religious sense while FUT in Jeung Hung Sing's lineage is representative of FUT GAR KUEN as passed down from the monk/ hung mun co-founder "Ching Cho".

peace everyone!

i have trained a little choy lay fut in atlanta and canada and it is a cool style. but wouldnt wuzuquan/ngo cho be considered a northern and southern mixed style also?
    no where i have read calls it that but being that it is a mixture of 5 styles(6 really) and 3 of the styles is taizu long fist, shaolin louhan, and monkey foot work from hou quan? im not really sure tho. any insight would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    being inspired is ok. when u push it and name "dai lohan" "siu lohan" "dai muifa" "siu muifa" u cross the line. because thats not only very specific northern styles, thats very specific northern forms.
    What line have we crossed? Who drew up this line? Muifa is a Chinese national symbol and Luohan is a Buddhist term. Many Chinese have the same names, have they crossed THE line as well? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    For the Chan Family of CLF the word FUT is used in a religious sense while FUT in Jeung Hung Sing's lineage is representative of FUT GAR KUEN as passed down from the monk/ hung mun co-founder "Ching Cho".
    Hi Frank,

"Fut" in CLF stands for the Buddhist Shaolin Temple where our MA came from, it is neither religious nor personal. CLF has a lot of Daoist and Confucian, as a philosophy and not as a religion, influence as well.

XJ

Blog Entries
    YEAH..... in YOUR lineage. For us, it is used to represent the Fut Gar in our Gung Fu not a Buddhist connection.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

However, funny or not,Chan Heung is/was one of our brothers in Hung Mun. interestingly enough, neither Koon Pak nor Chan Yiu Chi were not according to the Chan Family sources i have.
    Hi Frank,

As far as I know, Chan Heung and his family assisted in the revolutionary cause of the Hung Mun but they were never a member, however many of their disciples and students were, even up to present days, for example Li Iu-Ling, who just passed away a few years ago, was a member of Sydney's Ji Kung Tong.

XJ