Thread: Karate Lessons Give Child Self-Confidence To Quit Karate

Karate Lessons Give Child Self-Confidence To Quit Karate

karate lessons give child self-confidence to quit karate

englewood, co—after months of being taught to develop courage, inner strength, and other values of the martial arts, daniel finkelstein finally achieved the self-confidence necessary to stand up to his parents and quit taking karate lessons, the area sixth-grader reported monday.

Enlarge image

karate classes like these have given 11-year-old daniel finkelstein, left, abilities beyond his years to abandon things halfway through.finkelstein, 11, who was bullied into beginner's classes at dragon karate and tae kwon do academy by his father in july, reportedly drew on a number of recently acquired skills, including poise and self-assurance, when confronting his parents about how much he despised karate.

"before karate, i used to let everyone—my mom, my dad, even my grandma—push me around," finkelstein said. "they would tell me what to do and i would just roll over and do it, because they were bigger than me and i was scared."

"if it wasn't for the focus and determination i learned in karate, i would still be in karate right now," he added.

According to finkelstein, having to punch, kick, and spar with boys twice his size gave him newfound resolve, which the once submissive child would use when he decided he no longer wanted to have to punch, kick, and spar with boys twice his size.

"i never thought i had it in me," said finkelstein, who claimed he was prepared to use physical aggression only as a last resort to drop out of the martial arts class. "it was just like sensei steve used to say: 'only by believing in yourself can you overcome the obstacles that lie ahead.'"

added finkelstein: "thank god i don't have to listen to that crap anymore."

the white-belt also said the lessons he learned could prove valuable should he need to protect himself against any future involvement in swimming or violin lessons.

"it's like there's nothing i can't quit now if i just put my mind to it," finkelstein said. "i bet one day i'll quit going to algebra class, just like my older cousin did."

"sensei" steve guardino, finkelstein's former instructor, said he had noticed a distinct difference in the boy since he began, and subsequently stopped, attending the karate course.

"when daniel first showed up to class, he was like many of the other kids we see—timid, unsure of himself, and very insecure," guardino said. "but look at him now: He's gone."

finkelstein, who had little athletic inclination before taking karate, has now reported significantly increased energy to avoid taking part in activities he doesn't like.

"when someone suggests doing something lame, i'm the first one off my feet and headed out of that room," he said. "it feels amazing."

daniel's parents, samantha and robert finkelstein, said they were still shocked at the change in their son.

"not only is daniel more confident these days, but he's more assertive, better at expressing what he wants and doesn't want, and incredibly determined—it's like he's a whole new kid," mr. Finkelstein said. "i knew we should've put him in soccer instead."
    :d:d:d:d:d
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

dude, you have to credit the onion, and also, before the stupid starts, you have to denote that theonion.com is a parody site.

Kung Fu is good for you.

so all onion articles are fake?

yes.......
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

lol.

I'm not sure what's funnier. The article or the fact that some people didn't realize that the onion is a satirical paper.

yeah ive never been to the site but ive heard people reference the onion before and never mentioned that it wasnt real... i wonder how many people quote the stories as fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    yeah ive never been to the site but ive heard people reference the onion before and never mentioned that it wasnt real... i wonder how many people quote the stories as fact?
    since 1997...unfortunately MANY have done so.

lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

neil armstrong is some sort of cousin of mine...

never met him, but i know what my first question would be if i did...

That newspaper clip was freaking awesome !!
    LMAO !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    neil armstrong is some sort of cousin of mine...

never met him, but i know what my first question would be if i did...
    hmm.. I'm guessing here...

1) "Wow, so how did you feel when you heard Jimi died?"
    2) "So you met Nixon! Is his nose really that big up close?"
    3) "So, how much muff did that moonwalk get you?"
    4)"So, if you get the runs in space, does it just swirl around you in that spacesuit for days and days?"
    5) "How do you beat off in that suit?"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

o man!

you guys totally got me. i was only reading the copied text and didnt click thru to the article.

until i saw the next few posts talking about it being from the Onion, i was bought every line.

i kept shaking my head while reading the whole thing.
    well done