Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good styles for Old Fogeys?

Good styles for Old Fogeys?

Hello All,
    I'm here to ask for what is undoubtably noobie advice. I was a wrestler in high school and a serious weightlifter in college and enjoyed doing both. But then I got caught up in a career and the hustle and bustle and all the other excuses and now I find myself an out of shape middle aged guy who's gone mostly to seed.

I've tried a few things to get back into shape and since I liked wrestling I thought I might like to try a martial art as a way of getting in shape. But I find that in the years that I really blew off my body that it decided at some point to blow me off too. I'm in my 40's and even if I was in great condition I know I couldn't move like I did 20 years ago.

My question is: What are some good styles to look at for a middle aged guy to get into shape? I've seen some styles that look very demanding on the human body and I don't think I'd want to pursue those. On the other hand, although I've read that their is a martial aspect to Tai Chi, I've also read that it can take a dozen years or more to get good enough to feel proficient in it. Also, it sems like it's difficult to find a Tai Chi teacher who knows that there are even martial componenets to Tai Chi. So I was wondering if there are any other Chinese Martial Arts that are good for the middle-aged, out of shape beginner. Thanks.

Your best bet would be to just go around to the schools that are available in your area. Find something that appeals to you, has what you are looking for and you get a good vibe from the Teacher and school. Good luck.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

you don't need a style to get in shape and get fit.

don't make your inability to find that "just right" style your key to not becoming fit and vital.

regaining vitality can be done in a relatively short period of time.

the biggest barrier you will have is your own mind and intention.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Agreeing with both previous posts, it doesn't matter what, as long as it floats your boat enough to keep you at it, regular.

All kinds of grappling, trapping kind of stuff, and the workout is great. You must have looked at BJJ...

Or try something new...it will depend on what is good in your area...

Find a group you feel comfortable with, a style that has depth, a travel you can manage, and go for it.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Where are you located HammockRider? If you're in the San Francisco Bay/ Oakland California area, I teach a variety of custom-tailored programs. If you're not in the area, I would say to start out with a beginning-level yoga class until you feel comfortable doing all the exercises in the class, then you will probably feel much better and more ready for whatever is in your area.

Tai Chi is great, but finding a teacher of martial Tai Chi can be difficult. Even instructors who DO teach the martial aspect approach it from wildly divergent angles. I could teach someone a combatively effective and useable level of Tai Chi within only a few months, but they would only be familiar with specific movements and concepts and their application, they wouldn't know the Tai Chi form and would only be minimally acquainted with push-hands. But for someone who already knows the form (specifically the Cheng Man-Ching form) and basic push-hands, this training would be extremely valuable.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

brazillian jiujitsu and tai chi... bjj will let you use your old wrestling knowledge and open a new grappling world for you... its different than wrestling, but your experience will help... and its one of the very few martial arts you can practice at full strength and stay relatively injury free...

tai chi: most teachers will be fully aware of the martial aspects... dont believe the hype... nobody will be teaching it if they dont know these are martial concepts... i dont know any tai chi forms that dont have obvious fighting application at some point, there are pushes, punches, kicks etc... and dont let the speed fool you... going slow as possible builds some serious strength and general constituation goes way up real fast... not to mential the mental benefits... it can be like meditating, its great stuff... even if you cant find a great teacher, you'll probably benefit from any tai chi... but there is good tai chi everywhere if you look hard enough... the trouble is learning what good tai chi is...

i suggest you sift thru the taijiquan aka tai chi forum below this forum and learn what you can... watch the videos, etc etc...

where do you live???

Quote Originally Posted by HammockRider View Post
    Hello All,
    I'm here to ask for what is undoubtably noobie advice. I was a wrestler in high school and a serious weightlifter in college and enjoyed doing both. But then I got caught up in a career and the hustle and bustle and all the other excuses and now I find myself an out of shape middle aged guy who's gone mostly to seed.

I've tried a few things to get back into shape and since I liked wrestling I thought I might like to try a martial art as a way of getting in shape. But I find that in the years that I really blew off my body that it decided at some point to blow me off too. I'm in my 40's and even if I was in great condition I know I couldn't move like I did 20 years ago.

My question is: What are some good styles to look at for a middle aged guy to get into shape? I've seen some styles that look very demanding on the human body and I don't think I'd want to pursue those. On the other hand, although I've read that their is a martial aspect to Tai Chi, I've also read that it can take a dozen years or more to get good enough to feel proficient in it. Also, it sems like it's difficult to find a Tai Chi teacher who knows that there are even martial componenets to Tai Chi. So I was wondering if there are any other Chinese Martial Arts that are good for the middle-aged, out of shape beginner. Thanks.

How about...wrestling?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Wing Chun, Hung-Gar and other Southern Styles don't require high kicking or gymnastic movements-although Hung-Ga does require you to train deeper stances in the beginning stages..That being said, don't sell yourself short. Forties isn't old in Martial Arts, and you should still be trying to use your body through full ranges of motion, rather than searching for something you can do even if you were arthritic.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Like I said, Tai Chi with a competent instructor. I'm in my 40s and still step in the full-contact ring with guys almost half my age & twice my size...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Welcome to the forum HammockRider,

I think it would be an excellent idea to look at your wrestling experience and work at constructing a basic level (for starters) workout. There is such a thing as cellular memory. Your body will more quickly respond to movements it used to do as opposed to a new set of coordinations.

1- See a doctor. Make sure your heart is healthy.

2- Start gently: You may want to include walking for fat reduction.

3- Don't forget to have fun

4- Work on progressions without making comparatives to what you used to do a long time ago nor using the same time frames for progress. That is a sure way to an early grave. (I got the feeling you did this when you tried wrestling again).

5- Don't forget to HAVE FUN!!!!

mickey

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Your only as old as you think you are.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Why say in my 40's? Middle age is no longer old enough and you can start slow and follow the advices from others. And keep in mind go slow as we tend to think we still can do more than you can. Listen to your body and if it hurts slow down and rest.

HTH

First I want to say thanks for all your responses. I didn't think I'd get so many and they were all helpful. I have looked at BJJ because of my wrestling background and it looks like it could be a lot of fun. I also like the idea of martial tai chi. I'll look at some schools and see which one works out best for me.

David, I agree. I actually started rebuilding my health about 2 years ago. I've lost just over 80 pounds just through walking and smart eating. I have about 90 more pounds to go before I'm at a really healthy weight, but I feel much better than I did 2 years ago. I've been working with my doctor on this and he thinks I can step up the activity level. I thought an MA would be a fun and interesting way to do that. I'm also swimming a few days a week.

cerebus and Syn7, I never knew that about Tai Chi. I'm looking for something I can do for the next 40 years and the little I know about TC I've gotten just from some quick reading. I was under the impression that you had to practice for years before a teacher would even start to teach you self defense and fighting applications. I'm not sure what relaxed power is but I like the sound of that too. BTW I'm located in Chicago. There are a wide variety of martial arts available here but as you said it can be hard separating the good from the bad, at least at first.

Kansuke, I liked wrestling a lot but I did not know it existed beyond the college level. I was thinking BJJ or Judo.

TenTigers, I've heard some good things about both Wing Chun and Hung Gar. I've read that Wing Chun is good at training speed and precision which are two things I've never really had in abundance.

Mickey, mig and dragonzbane, I couldn't agree more. When you return to something after a long absence I think it's natural to feel like you're picking up where you left off. Wrong! The last thing I want to do is recklessly injure myself. I'm sure I don't recover as quickly as I once did either and I know that one of the best things anyone can do to improve in anything physical is to avoid getting injured. And I am working with my doc on this. He said take it easy, take it slow and take a breather whenever you need one. Sounds good to me.

Once again thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by HammockRider; 09-08-2010 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added content

indeed, you can start at any age as far as working with your physical self goes.

even if you're in your 70's, or 80's.

it's not likely you'll be the next jet li, but you will improve your body by keeping it limber.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HammockRider View Post
    Hello All,

i recently read an article about a 64 year old wing chun student, who just became a junior instructor.