Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ving Tsun Training Clip

good clip . I will try to post some sparring.

Thanks for the clip.

Good hand speed, good reflexes. What I also noticed was that when the kid was pressed out and no longer in range, the footwork changed and would "bounce around" a bit, which shows the difference as to when rooting and being springy are necessary with regard to footwork.

What would be cool with that drill is to have the "attacker" throw on some gloves, and do nothing but REALLY try and punch the "defender" with like 80% effort. Notice the hand speed will slow, the amount of force needing to be directed will be greater, and the necessity to move the arms all over the place constantly will diminish.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I enjoyed that, Graham.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    What would be cool with that drill is to have the "attacker" throw on some gloves, and do nothing but REALLY try and punch the "defender" with like 80% effort. Notice the hand speed will slow, the amount of force needing to be directed will be greater, and the necessity to move the arms all over the place constantly will diminish.
    Hey,

Don't over ananlyse it. Its just a bit of training. If somebody was attacking me with 80% effort I would attack them back with 100% and with no change in hand speed either.......

GH

Nicely shot Graham and thanks for sharing. Good to see everything going on, stance and hands. Good lighting, resolution. No jerky camera movements.

I assume he was your student?

I agree. It was well produced.

Interesting to see the positive comments as I thought the actual Wing Chun stance/leg/stepping work was primarily missing. More boxer-type skipping feet, but still effective against the beginner. Good handwork though, and very 'Lee Shing'ish to be honest. Nice speed and accuracy.

WSL family no doubt
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I was going to comment that Graham looked light on his feet. I can't comment technically, but I did like the fact there was no "over trapping", just looking to hit.

I thought the "WC stance/stepping" did come in when he got his student's flank.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Hey,

Don't over ananlyse it. Its just a bit of training. If somebody was attacking me with 80% effort I would attack them back with 100% and with no change in hand speed either.......

GH
    No overanalyzing...just commenting. I only took at look at it once, and I didn't mean mechanical handspeed as in moving your arm from point a to point b, but as in the amount of hand movement.

Generally with reality based scenarios you'll notice peoples attacks don't come at you like that. You won't be moving your hands around like that because frankly you won't NEED to. Coupled with the fact that attacks will be coming at you in a non-wing chun method more than likely.

The rest of it was just a suggestion to spice things up a bit.

I liked the clip of your bit of training. Especially the lightness in the feet and your flanking with diagonal trapping/arm pressing
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 09-09-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I agree. It was well produced.

Interesting to see the positive comments as I thought the actual Wing Chun stance/leg/stepping work was primarily missing. More boxer-type skipping feet, but still effective against the beginner. Good handwork though, and very 'Lee Shing'ish to be honest. Nice speed and accuracy.

WSL family no doubt

Fairplay LoneTiger you really are a spanner! What are u on about "stance/leg/stepping work"????

Still effective against the beginner????? WTF?

That clip was just a bit of training. Some light Gor Sau. It is NOT a reflection on how I would really fight as 1. Its VT against VT 2. There is no hostitly involved. 3. I'm not in the habit of spreading my ego all over the internet.

That DRILL is just about training many different components in a free flowing way so I can experiment and refine.

I'll tell you what big man.......why don't you put something on here and then if I'm impressed I will come and learn at your school!!!!!

It was shot on a mobile phone stood on a cupboard....just off the cuff...no preplanning.......

One of the reason s I put that on here is to see what negative responses I would get as this forum is 90% full of VT nonsense. I should have guessed you would be one....go play with your SLT knive form or add something that we can talk about!!!!!

GH

Fairplay LoneTiger you really are a spanner! What are u on about "stance/leg/stepping work"????

Still effective against the beginner????? WTF?
    Wow! Keep your shirt on! Lucky I didn't call you 'charlie chaplin!'

That DRILL is just about training many different components in a free flowing way so I can experiment and refine.
    I understand this, and did compliment you also.

It was shot on a mobile phone stood on a cupboard....just off the cuff...no preplanning.......

One of the reason s I put that on here is to see what negative responses I would get as this forum is 90% full of VT nonsense. I should have guessed you would be one....go play with your SLT knive form or add something that we can talk about!!!!!
    I was hoping you'd take my comments as genuine light criticism dude but obviously I was wrong. Keep up the good work and watch out for that kick in the nuts, as that's exactly what you're asking for when you move around like that. Drill or no drill that's just developing a bad habit imho

But the handwork was still good
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

This is the same problem that came when my Sifu's videos came out on YouTube. People trying to ananlyze without actually being there or ever having contact.

Kicking me in the nuts is not as easy as you may think brother!!!

I will join ur facebook page as you have videos on there I beleive but I'm reluctant to comment about people until I'm in the same room regarding video footage.

Maybe you should try the same.

GH

I will join ur facebook page as you have videos on there I beleive but I'm reluctant to comment about people until I'm in the same room regarding video footage.
    If you're looking for loads of clips I wouldn't bother as I've only put one up so far! I'm planning more but not just yet.

With regards to commenting on video clips, YOURS was the first I've attempted to critique and look where we are?! I normally avoid them too and will be in the future
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

That's the thing about video clips, it's the only way to "see" what's being discussed and much can be inferred from what's seen in the clip--but it's not a perfect medium for understanding because it's not empirically complete.

That said, each of us fills in the missing data and concludes different opinions based on our experiences. Some folks will think its good, some won't. Some will say what they think, others will be polite or not say anything at all.

But putting up ANY video clip on the internet you really have no basis for throwing a fit in reaction to a response you feel is unjust; because the experienced internet-goer knows exactly the type of responses that play out with netiquette generally being moron dominant.

Looks like you are missing the whole point of doing the exercise, it is just a training exercise and not a sparring drill.