Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leg Tech

Leg Tech

was going over some different leg techniques in class, and was wondering what other mantis systems incorporate leg work. Do we focus enough on the legs? is thier anything tha can be added?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

leg work

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "leg work" and share what you do in this regard?

Earthdragon,
    Since my primary CMA style for 30 years was Monkey Boxing, I lay heavy emphasis on leg techniques in the mantis that I teach. Though not a mantis philosophy, I incorporate the "Four Hands Theory" (KFM July/August 2010) as a part of our training.

Richard A. Tolson

Quote Originally Posted by KwaiChangCaine View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "leg work" and share what you do in this regard?
    i second that.... be more specific...

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    was going over some different leg techniques in class, and was wondering what other mantis systems incorporate leg work. Do we focus enough on the legs? is thier anything tha can be added?
    This is a very good form to train your leg techniques.
    Last edited by alextse4; 09-09-2010 at 08:02 AM.

How does a form "train" leg techniques?

Thanks
    JAB
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    How does a form "train" leg techniques?

Thanks
    JAB
    OK just forget it.

Dang it. I missed out on the secrets.

Mandarin duck leg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_rynpi2W04

that was the link...

it looks like a good workout... ive learned similar forms from training years ago... do that fast like 5 times a day and you'll progress fast...
    there are tons of forms like that, some better than others... some really hard, other pretty easy...

so thats what yall meant by leg work???

alex, no need to be insecure, he was just asking a question... everyone gets to have their say in here... you shouldnt feel the need to edit past posts because of percieved criticism... the clip was most welcome...
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-09-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Yes, that looks like an excellent form for mastering the proper method of kicking. What style of mantis does that form appear in?

Jake,
    Its true that no form can develop practical kicking application, that happens with drills and sparring. However, I believe Sifu Tse meant the form could help one master proper kicking techniques and possibly contain kicking theories. I wholeheartedly agree with him. I always tell my students that if you can't master proper bodily movement in a form (no impact, no threat), how in the world are you NOT going to throw crappy techniques under pressure (painful impact, huge threat)?

Too much of what I have seen in modern MMA is absolute slop due to the lack of some teachers de-emphasis of forms (choreographed shadow-boxing). I think this is a shame. IMO, mastering the basics through forms should be the FIRST step if one desires to accomplish much when it comes time to test one's skills in the ring.
    Though I believe it is also sad when peeps are under the misconception that they know how to effectively fight, just because they know a bazillion forms. My hometown has certainly been filled with that fantasy. I know I personally did my part in trying to destroy that myth.

Richard A. Tolson
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.

sorry guys allow me to be more specific, however I was not speaking of kicking or strenghtening the legs but rather using specific leg techniques in your ciriculum
    i.e
    tiao- lift
    tong- reverse leg sweep
    kiou- forward sweep
    ki- trip kick
    tahn- outside to inside
    tswa- leg wrap
    ding - knee
    gou- hook
    etc etc
    we were going over these and a student asked if they were strickly 8 step mantis ,or all mantis techniques and I honeslty could not answer.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

peace! i trained under one of philipman chow's(mainland 7 star) students a few years back and i saw him do some trapping and stuff with his legs. i never got to learn it or feel it myself but it looked pretty cool. also when i was in atlanta i went and checked out sun de yao's student(tai chi plum blossom mantis from the hao family) and they seem to do some stuff like that too.

Blog Entries
    tiao- lift
    tong- reverse leg sweep
    kiou- forward sweep
    ki- trip kick
    tahn- outside to inside
    tswa- leg wrap
    ding - knee
    gou- hook
    There are more leg techniques. IMO, the leg technique should not have any style boundary, and every CMA styles should all train it.

踢 Forward kick (TI),
    撮 Scooping kick (CUO),
    粘 Sticking kick (ZHAN),
    彈 Spring (TAN),
    挑 Hooking kick (TIAO),
    纏 Foot entangling (CHAN),
    合 Inner hook (HE),
    撿 Foot picking (JIAN),
    沖 Inner kick(CHONG),
    掛 Inner heel sweep (GUA),
    刀 Inner sickle (DAO)
    蹩 Break (BIE),
    撩 Back kick (LIAO),
    切 Front cut(QIE),
    削 Sickle hooking (XIAO)
    勾 Back sickle (GOU),
    裏 Back inner hook (LI),
    擓 Leg bending lift (KUAI)
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.

interesting Youknow who, you listed some I havent heard of, as 8 step only has 14 so thank you for that, but do you think these are used in ALL kung fu styles?

I was wondering of the monkey footwork in other mantis styles broke them down as far as 8 step does. or if it was a bagua influence...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

sorry guys allow me to be more specific, however I was not speaking of kicking or strenghtening the legs but rather using specific leg techniques in your ciriculum
    i.e
    tiao- lift
    tong- reverse leg sweep
    kiou- forward sweep
    ki- trip kick
    tahn- outside to inside
    tswa- leg wrap
    ding - knee
    gou- hook
    etc etc
    we were going over these and a student asked if they were strickly 8 step mantis ,or all mantis techniques and I honeslty could not answer.
    We use tiao, ki, tswa, ding and gou (to use your terminology) in our PM school. Most of these are also commonly found in Seven Star PM forms.