Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Choy Li Fut Name?

Blog Entries
    Today there are many, the ones that should be shared on a basic level are Cheung Kuen, Ping Kuen, Kau Da Kuen, Sup Ji Kuen.

Although the Chan Fam may have the same name for their sets, they are not the same in structure, material, or essence.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

do I have it right?

Cheung Kuen 長拳(long fist),
    Ping Kuen 平拳(level fist),
    Kau Da Kuen 扣打拳(holding/knocking strike fist),
    Sup Ji Kuen 十字拳("+" pattern fist)

thanks again.

Blog Entries
    i don't know the chinese character for kau da kuen.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    No Frank, I don't ask you to believe them, I asked you and others to read them.

XJ
    Joseph,
    Where we can read this?!

SY

Hi Sunyang,

This time I think the whole thing started from this thread:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...t=58193&page=2

Hi Frank,

You think new information only came out from Futsan, here is a new piece from the Chan Family archive for you, (as far as I can see what is in my hands, quite a few pages were written about Jeung Ah-Yim but the public will never see them - too controversial. Also Jeung never studied with Lee Yau-Shan, otherwise it would have been written down):

Jeung Ah-Yim's father was a stone mason working in Hong Kong when he met Chan Heung (Chan Heung was invited there by the Guangdong Village Association), he was impressed by Chan Heung's skill after he defeated a Russian boxer and wanted his son to study with Chan Heung.

Jeung Ah-Yim's father gave him the nick name Hung Sing (Victorious Hung) 洪勝 very early on and was never used as a CLF branch name like you insisted, because he taught his boy Hung Kuen very young and wanted him to grow up to be a winner with his Kung Fu study.

I can understand you won't believe me because this is written in Chan Yiu-Chi hand writing and not by his father Koon-Pak or by Chan Heung himself (I don't have these records). You are going to say it is just made up by Chan Yiu-Chi.

I'll leave at that.

XJ

BTW, you just turned 43 and I just turned 63, so happy birthday!

Blog Entries
    THANK YOU JOSEPH FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE WHAT CHAN YIU CHI WROTE DOWN. HOWEVER, IT'S NOT THE SHARED INFORMATION OF THE FUT SAN HUNG SING KWOON.

The thing about Chan Koon Pak can be possible but as of yet i've never heard of this. yes, we all have controversial things to say about someone else don't we?

Since the small about of info you just provided, would you like to share some more of what chan Yiu Chi wrote? I will listen as i always like to learn something new.

oh an....happy birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Since the small about of info you just provided, would you like to share some more of what chan Yiu Chi wrote? I will listen as i always like to learn something new.
    Hi Frank,

I just wrote a poem for you in another post, it is enough for one day. If you really want to know more, call your Chen Yong-Fa contacts in Sydney.

XJ

Blog Entries
    no i want you to tell me! Si bak!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    why don't you go answer the question to why chan koon pak was using jeung hung sing's name and not his daddy's!!!!

Choy Li Fut

Hi Frank,
    Do you know if the names Choy Li (Lee?) Fut are the same as the Choy Li Fut of the Five Family Style (Ark Wong - Choy Li Fut Mok Hung) as you mentioned in an earlier post? I have always wondered about that. In the Five Family Style there is not much recorded history before Ark Wong, except for a few of his teachers names with no or little information about them. The Five Family Style has Fut, Long Fist and Buddha Palm forms. Maybe there is a connection. Lau Bun and Ark Wong were from the same village I was told.
    Jay
    Los Angeles Five Family Style

Blog Entries
    I'd have to dig into your history to know more. but the cheung kuen you're talking about...is there any footage on that?

Choy Li Fut

We didn't learn Chinese names for forms. What does cheung kuen mean? Doesn't kuen mean style?

Blog Entries
    Cheung Kuen mean Long Fist. Are you saying that you can't trace Wong Ark Yuey's lineage?

Cboy Li Fut

Frank,
    I copied this from a website. I can't verify any information. I will see about getting a vid of the long fist.

Grandmaster Ark Yuey Wong (Wong Ark-Yuey) was born in the large village of Toysun Tien Sum Chien, Canton, Southern China, in 1899/1900 into a moderately wealthy family. Early on, he was exposed to the ancient fighting arts as a need to defend himself from articulated or actual threats of harm. In those days bandits roamed the countryside and Wong's grandfather made all males in the Wong family study kung fu, if they were to receive any inheritance. A younger jealous brother, in order to weaken the older man and obtain his wealth, attacked his great-grandfather. Upon recovering from the attack, the old man decreed that all his male descendants were obligated to
    learn Kung Fu when they started school at the age of seven.

It was at that age that Ark Wong began his training under 14 masters within a Shao Lin Temple (Sifu Wong explained that the Cantonese pronunciation of "Siu Lam", sometimes seen as Sil Lum is the same as the more popular term Shao Lin). His first Shifu was the well-respected master, Lam Ark Fun. Master Lam was rather old at this time but still highly revered as a great teacher of the art of Choy Li Fut. At the age of twelve, Ark Wong was taught the art of Chinese Herbal Medicine, a skill that he would employ extensively later in life from Master Lam. Ark Wong studied under another well-respected master, Ho Ark Yeng from whom he learned Mawk Gar Kung Fu. Both Master Lam and Master Ho were hired by a representative of the great-grandfather to teach the Wong family exclusively. In his later teens, Ark Wong went to college and gave private Kung-fu lessons in Canton. It was during this time that he met Pung/Pang, the chief monk of the Canton area and one of the greatest Kung-fu fighters in China. He studied under this master for a year and a half. Previously, all of Wong's training was of the external aspects of Kung Fu. It was from Pung that he began to learn the internal aspects. Master Pung invited Wong to his ascetic quarters and told him to place a lighted candle at the end of the room. According to Wong, Pung was able to chop the candle in half from yards away, merely with a flick of the finger. “I had heard of power like that, but I had never seen it demonstrated”, Wong recalled years ago. When civil unrest occurred in Canton, Wong returned to his village.

Here in Lin Chuan Yuan, Putien County, he opened a Kung Fu school for his family and the younger children of the area. One New Year's, as was the custom, all the Kung Fu schools gathered to put on the "Lion Dancing" demonstration. On the basis of these demonstrations by the different schools the masters were chosen. Only the best demonstrators would receive the title "Master." At the remarkable age, of
    nineteen, Wong Ark Yuey was made Master.

Master Wong immigrated to the United States in his early twenties, around 1921. His uncle taught him Chinese herbal healing and acupuncture. At that time, kung fu was taught among Chinese and mostly in Chinese tongs and associations. Since Chinese have many festivities and cultural beliefs, the art of lion and dragon dance were taught to accommodate the celebration ritual. Many Chinese benefited from Wong's martial art lessons during the 40's and 50's when he stayed in San Francisco, Stockton and Oakland. This was the birth of Ng Ga Kin and Ng Ying Ga in the United States. In 1929, he moved to the Los Angeles area, where he taught exclusively for the Wong family the first two years. He then opened his Chinese Herb shop and Kung Fu school, called War Que (War Kyu) or Overseas Chinese Martial Arts Association. In 1931, Wong went to china to instruct the Wong family in the Martial Arts. In 1934, he returned to Los Angeles and resumed his teaching. At the young age of 31, Master Wong was given the title of Grandmaster. In 1965, Wong opened his doors to the public, to any sincere student who wanted to learn from a Master. Previously, as mentioned, all Chinese Kung Fu was taught to Chinese only, as it was kept a secret. He taught the Five Family styles of Cho Li, Fut, Mok, and Hung and the five animals of the Tiger, Dragon, Crane, Leopard and Snake. Master Wong taught Tai Chi Chuan, five element fist, natural fist and the Hop Gar Lama fist. He also taught the 18 traditional Shao Lin weapons, Lion and Dragon dancing, Chinese Acupuncture, Massage, and Herbal medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Having mucked around in a few prominent TCMA lineages and their history, I'd suggest that the real story may even be less clear and direct than the one here....

Politics at the time, in the time since and CURRENT politics,

Personal agendas, hissy fits, etc

And the general Chinese tendency to never do anything in a straight line
    YES, STRAIGHT LINE FAILS. IN CHINESE SOCIETY AND HISTORY?

PROVES WHY WING CHUN THEORY ALSO FAILS... AND SELF-DEFEATING?

SPIRALS > STRAIGHT LINE

CLF WINS.

gg
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori