Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo...

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Seriously, many kungfu teachers act as if they're a calligraphy master, and most suck. I leave your decisions to your discretion, but urge you to narrow the field by choosing from only true calligraphy masters, as they better capture the characters.

Just because one can fight well doesn't mean they have the same fury in their handwriting.

This is writing that is permanently on you, and you are not likely to learn beforehand the subtleties of chinese calligraphy(or you'd just do it yourself), so there's really nno harm in looking for calligraphy masters' works in the field.

Past that, hopefully someone here can post a pic of some famous kung fu master's work for ya.
    I once met a sifu from KC that taught "6 Elbows" style but I could never remember his name. I met him in the late 90's at a tournament in Alabama that Shawn Liu was hosting. I think it was Chu Man Sit?
    Last edited by scottdurand; 09-16-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You've seen our Kung Fu (and other Martial Arts) Tattoos thread? I just merged three other tattoo threads into that one (it was the earliest). I'll merge this one too eventually. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe later. Maybe when someone else asks a similar question in a few years....
    You're so decisive!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    You're so decisive!!
    Hopefully he is too busy working on that second book...
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

will buddhist monks get offended by a Siddhārtha Gautama tattoo?

I guess burning a dragon on your forearms at the Temple is out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_diciple View Post
    will buddhist monks get offended by a Siddhārtha Gautama tattoo?
    I don't see why they would. Depictions of the Buddha were few and far between during the early period following his death. Some scholars have argued in favor of ancient Buddhists having an aniconistic view similar to modern day Muslims. However, this changed. There are depictions of the Buddha in various shapes and forms all over the world.

The only objection a monk may have is if you are getting the tattoo just because you think it looks cool.

speaking of tattoo ink...

just the other day i bought 1oz of triple black for 10 dollars - 35 for 4oz. my brother and i also just finished combining two minds to build our best homemade model yet... tattoo's are means of identifying the spiritual aspects of ones inner being... the imagery that one decides to adorn his outer body with is nothing more than a visual manifestation of what adorns the inner body... those associated with the negative energies of death and destruction typically use skulls, demons, and devils... discerning the spirit is an ancient ability that is nearly lost amongst the ignorantly chaotic and mindless fray that makes up "civilizations" today... nations today are among the most ignorant of all the great ages of mankind... identifying incarnate souls is done by the use of symbols.

one of my upcoming tattoos is going to be 5 comets/asteriods streaking across my chest from one shoulder to the opposite hip in the manner that one would also seem to see a great big tiger claw mark... within the comets i am toying with the idea of 5 symbols for earth, metal, water, wood, and fire... symbols are universal and transcend the multitude of written languages.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    just the other day i bought 1oz of triple black for 10 dollars - 35 for 4oz. my brother and i also just finished combining two minds to build our best homemade model yet... tattoo's are means of identifying the spiritual aspects of ones inner being... the imagery that one decides to adorn his outer body with is nothing more than a visual manifestation of what adorns the inner body... those associated with the negative energies of death and destruction typically use skulls, demons, and devils... discerning the spirit is an ancient ability that is nearly lost amongst the ignorantly chaotic and mindless fray that makes up "civilizations" today... nations today are among the most ignorant of all the great ages of mankind... identifying incarnate souls is done by the use of symbols.

one of my upcoming tattoos is going to be 5 comets/asteriods streaking across my chest from one shoulder to the opposite hip in the manner that one would also seem to see a great big tiger claw mark... within the comets i am toying with the idea of 5 symbols for earth, metal, water, wood, and fire... symbols are universal and transcend the multitude of written languages.
    Cool...but having a real artist do the work doesn't hurt.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Cool...but having a real artist do the work doesn't hurt.
    define real artist?? art is also universal... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

How much of your own ink have you done, Uki? Just curious.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I did 4 of my own pieces and have been in the process of having them redone by a pro.

they looked good first time round, but I was young at the time, so they faded somewhat.

Having them redone is great. It freshens them all up and the ink is way brighter again.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've been hesitant to get a tattoo in the fear that I will hate it when I'm 60 years old.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    I've been hesitant to get a tattoo in the fear that I will hate it when I'm 60 years old.
    do you hate yourself now?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    do you hate yourself now?
    Only sometimes.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

if you are a buddhist follower, you may tatoo fo 佛 or chan 禅

or a lotus flower diagram

if you are a daoist follower, you may tatoo dao 道 or tai chi diagram

most popular tattoo are dragon and tiger.

however, these means extensive artwork or needle work and hence more pain.

some like eagle, some like crane, some like snake---

----