Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    i mean, how many times have we all seen so called black belt expert martial artists get the living snot kicked out of them by some thug whos training regiment includes beating random people on the street...
    Very early on, when I first started getting into martial arts, right when i first joined a tkd club, this is in fact exactly what happened.

One of the students in the school got beligerant in a convenience store to a guy who he perceived to have done him some slight in etiquette.

They step outside and the guy from the club I had just joined was being ridiculous and rude while the other guy, who was wearing a freaking cowboy hat, boots and sheepskin jacket proceeds to karate™ my classmate's ass into the ground, the back of his truck, the ground again and so on until intervention took place and we meandered back to the place we were before going to the store.

So, what is the value of a black belt?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    So, what is the value of a black belt?
    apparently not much at that school

that is just dangerous... in my opinion, its borderline criminal and in some cases not so borderline, jist pure negligence...

a guy has a blackbelt, a thug comes and says nasty stuff to blackbelt and his lady friend... blackbelt and lady had one chance to get away and avoid the scenario altogether but the false sense of confidence blackbelt has leads him to speak his mind against this unsavoury character... the window on him and his lady leaving is now closed and blackbelt has no choice but to fight now... black belt gets dummied, lady gets raped...

now whos fault is that??? obviously the perp takes the most blame since he is the initial aggressor... but blackbelt could have walked at the beggining so he shares a part of the blame... but his sifu told him the knife defences worked and they did work well in class... sifu says aslong as you know this, your good... but blackbelt wasnt good, sifu was either an idiot or a con artist... sifu should share partial blame in the beating and rape that took place with a sequence of events that started with sifu giving a false sense of security and an unrealistic view of street combat...

in a court of law, maybe not... but in a basic moral sense? he's
    got his share of fault...

its too bad its not very realistic to have some sort of regulating body for combat related businesses... even if one such body did exist, it would no doubt stifle the progress of legit but misunderstood or unknown styles... but this mcdojo stuff needs to stop... it really is a con game, weather by design or thru ignorance is completely irrelevant...

its different with the sporting martial arts... like if you train olympic tkd and realise its limitations in the street, thats cool... if you learn from a bad boxing coach, eventually it will be manifest as you venture into the competative world... but with arts that claim street self defence, its just wrong... because when they realise it doesnt work, the situation is for real and there are no do-overs or going back to the drawboard to re-asses you style and strategy... bad sport coaches i can handle... bad self defence teachers, now thats just scary man... i feel sorry for alot of people who just dont know better and pay the price of these retarded sifus and their hubris and ignorance...
    Last edited by Syn7; 09-11-2010 at 12:51 PM.

David J
    that would be hw108 you're thinking of. lol
    Oh yeah sorry Vash my sincere apologies... thanks David made a boo boo
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."