Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Looking for WSL vs fencer clip

the gurkhurs fought with the austalian and NZ. They were supposed to be hard dudes

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    the gurkhurs fought with the austalian and NZ. They were supposed to be hard dudes
    they are and they are fearless fighters and the British army has been lucky to have them, but the main way they used the knife was in sneaking up on sentry’s and cutting their throats, not face to face combat (for that they used modern weapons go figure) read any of their exploits in Malaya, Falkland’s etc and they are praised for the their courage under fire and fighting abilities with modern weapons

and as an aside as soon as i say the whole slashing cutting verses stabbing arguement i knew knifefighter would have to post

I have no experience of actual knife fighting (like most here I suspect) but what Dale says is exactly what I have heard from guys who have survived real attacks and changed the way they few knifes accordingly.
    The creator of the STAB programme was attacked by multiple knifes and cut dozens of times on one occasion, survived and developed his system is based around surviving a stabbing, I know several students of Geoff Thompson who say the same, with a knife penetration is the real concern, it’s not that you won’t get slashed or cut, it’s that the real killing blows come from penetration wounds (this is also what I have heard from a few nurses I know)

So after 10 pages we "now" know that slashes are dangerous and can be useful but it's thrusting stabs that are the most deadly.

Go figure, huh?!

When fighting with a knife.

Great....and of course.

But do you think that maybe the size of two sharpened butterfly swords working together might have something to do with why slashes can be, in addition to useful, also very dangerous?

Like the diagonal slash of a kendo sword?

Ya' think?
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 09-19-2010 at 03:42 PM.

I'm having problems figuring out if, when people say "slash," they mean:

1) slice
    2) chop
    3) cleave

So what exactly are you guys talking about?

The way I see it, slicing is useful only if the slice is long. Chopping is useful only if the chop severs connective tissue. Cleaving is useful only if there's an opportunity to cut something off.
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Obviously a sword is not a knife and a knife is NOT a sword.
    Cut VS thrust is as old as the hills on grannies chest and twice as dusty and it is a pointless argument.
    In regards to the sword:
    It depends on WHICH weapon you use - straight sword = thrust as primary weapon and curved sword = cut/chop as primary one.

As for knives, slashes have their place, but the thrust is the killer.

The "inbetweens" are the gray area, machetees and such.
    But typically weight is the factor, a heavy blade is ideal for chopping a limb while a lighter, strighter blade is ideal for shesh-kebob.

All one has to do is some test cutting and you will see this, also a few videos are out there to, "The myth of the sword" is a good one for most people.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Dale,

You ever served in uniform???

In Nam our "modern army" got close and personal with the enemy and fought not only hand to hand and with blades but with entrenching tools as well.

What is fair is to say that todays armies fight primarily with firearms, shoot a lot of todays warfare is carried out by unmanned drones. Still, there are times and instances when one will need to get up close and personal, though mostly these are done by specialized units with specific training unavailable to the average soldier.

Blieve it or not, Dale, there are times when one has to close with the enemy and get down and dirty. Of course the ones who survive are all from MMA gyms as we all know they are the only ones really prepared for combat in the real world.......right Dale
    A lot of the fighting going on in Afghan (well for danish or british troops in Helman province anyways) happens at less then 10-20 meters. You will still try and shoot the scum first but sometimes **** happens

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    they are and they are fearless fighters and the British army has been lucky to have them, but the main way they used the knife was in sneaking up on sentry’s and cutting their throats, not face to face combat (for that they used modern weapons go figure) read any of their exploits in Malaya, Falkland’s etc and they are praised for the their courage under fire and fighting abilities with modern weapons
    A little anecdote from WW2 pacific area.
    The ghurkas would sneak up on you in the middle of the night and with one hand grab your jaw. if you had stubs you would still be breathing a second later. That was how they told the americans from the japanese
    Well according to anecdotes anyways.

Modern day ghurkas are quite "funny". On one hand when you meet them in camp or outside direct frontlines they are some of the nicest people on earth. During firefight they are really really nice to have on your side.

True story from afghan.
    A ghurka sergeant was told to go fetch a taliban leader or bring proof of his death. Well He didnt know how to use the issued camera so he cut of the leaders head and brought it back to his CO