Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for WSL vs fencer clip

Looking for WSL vs fencer clip

Hello,

I recently have read that the late Wong Shueng Leung had a televised match in where he squared off with a fencer using the baat cham do. I've been unable to find this clip on the internet, does anyone have a copy of it?

Thanks,

Been looking man. It was on live and had to be stopped as WSL cut him to pieces. Funny thing was the swords were blunt but the dude hacked at them with his sabre and turned them serated. They had to stop as he was bleeding everywhere

Benny,

Did you watch the footage?

B

No, way too young. Asked a few of his students about it.

I heard the same.

Dang, that's something that I'd love to see

I think I read it was on the HKTV programme "Enjoy Yourself Tonight" (歡樂今宵).

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    Been looking man. It was on live and had to be stopped as WSL cut him to pieces. Funny thing was the swords were blunt but the dude hacked at them with his sabre and turned them serated. They had to stop as he was bleeding everywhere
    They say people go to car races hoping to see a crash. I hope I not on the same page as them but I'd love to see that footage of Si-Bak WSL myself.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sounds incredible, I don't think people in WCK would fare well against a fencer or escrimador.

Anyone know the name of the fencer?
    I mean, if some recall so vividly the result then the name should be remembered also.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by bennyvt View Post
    That is pretty strange since attacking another's blade or even hacking is NOT what any decent sabre user would do.
    Matter of fact, anyone that has used a sword in any practical way knows NOT to hit and avoid as much as possible, steel on steel.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That is pretty strange since attacking another's blade or even hacking is NOT what any decent sabre user would do.
    Matter of fact, anyone that has used a sword in any practical way knows NOT to hit and avoid as much as possible, steel on steel.
    Kinda like with the pole... Focus on the man... Or like the hands... Don't chase hands...

Well, its easy...any of WSL descendants think they could do the same thing against a decent fencer or escrimador?

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Well, its easy...any of WSL descendants think they could do the same thing against a decent fencer or escrimador?
    Your comparison uses two dissimilar styles, making the comparison bunk.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu

The technique/method has some weight, but that's not the end to all means. The individual matters, as well as the time & quality put into practical training. Doing BCD form is just the baby step.

I know first hand a Wong Shun Leung student who has sparred with a regional fencing champion - successfully. It's not a mystery - swift footwork and both blades working in unison. But of what use is knowing this to us? If this is something that is important for you to pursue, do it yourself. Living of hearsay and skills of others is not the thing of doers.