Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for WSL vs fencer clip

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    Exactly.

The only secret is sweat , blood and tears in training, consistently.
    Best post here!

But unfortunately many have no idea what you mean. No kung fu is needed to post here it seems
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    WKmark,

Perhaps we heard different stories. I don't recall there being an iron palm match. I was told the Gaun (yes, "Karn" for you in Australia) was because of a sidekick to the ribcage. And the anecdote that I was told about adding Gaun Sao in Siu Nim Tao against a side kick is ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is if people think they can learn a knife set and fight against a top fencer (and not a scrub), they'd better rethink.
    Robert,

Just FYI, the Karn/Garn or however you spell it was from the Iron Palm Match. Not from the sidekick. I double checked (just to be sure) the video interview of Sifu explaining Siu Nim Tao and as we he was going thru it, he mentioned the Karn/Garn Sao and told the reason for it was from the Iron Palm Match he had. (The interview was in 1996 before he passed away. It was in Cantonese but there was a translator on spot) It was held in Hong Kong at the V.T. Athletic Center. I am mentioning it just so that there is no confusion on this.

And also FYI, I am not in Australia.... I actually have never even BEEN to Australia. I have met various people from the WSL Lineage that lives in Australia. I am currently in Hong Kong.

And back to the topic, I think the OP was just wondering if anyone had a footage of the event. That's all. =)

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Your dig is quite fantastic, yet again, but shows serious lack of knowledge about Lee Shing and what he knew, yet again. Maybe as you're the 'man in the know' you can ask my Uncle why he learnt BJD from Ip Chun? If he did at all.
    I don't care what Lee Shing KNEW. It's not what you KNOW that is important. It is what you can DO that is important.

The BJD is a FORM. I KNOW about half a dozen BJD forms. So what? Knowing a form doesn't mean squat.

The simple answer is, yes, Lee Shing did teach the BJD. But not as you know it.
    Maybe, maybe not. But this is like saying Lee Shing did not teach riding the bike as you know it. Who gives a f#ck?

You take the words out of my mouth. High level knife men practise with the like. Which is why you aint at a high level sir!
    There are not "high level knife men". They are high level fantasy guys PLAYING "knife expert."

Dog brothers!?? Sparring with 'knives'?? Who's in the fantasy world now??
    Great, you appreciate that NO ONE can spar (practice fighting) with real knives. And since they can't really practice fighting with knives, they can't develop skill fighting with knives.

But my reference to the DBs was for things like the pole.

The ART of Wing Chun needs no explanation in this silly haven you're trying to create for yourself. You carry on training the way you talk of and post a few clips so we can see what it's all about. Go on. Just ONE!
    Seeing me do it wouldn't help you. Seeing videos of anyone won't help you. The only thing that possibly can help you you'll never do.

kinda funny that R. Chu would insult your lineage for its knife form... does he have secret training methods learned from any of his seminars or private lessons he had with his multitude of teachers? Or could he and Terrence be a couple of form collectors that don't practice what they preach? Do you think they spar with their weapons? No they do more important things like chatting on forums daily!
    Mistakes of the past are best not repeated, like insulting seniors knowledge and experience of the BJD, or we end up with the BS of "profound respect for..."

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    kinda funny that R. Chu would insult your lineage for its knife form...
    I'm actually getting used to the insults, whether they're meant seriously or not!

Quote Originally Posted by t_neihoff View Post
    I don't care what Lee Shing KNEW. It's not what you KNOW that is important. It is what you can DO that is important.

The BJD is a FORM. I KNOW about half a dozen BJD forms. So what? Knowing a form doesn't mean squat.
    Interesting comment. So, on reflection, your kuit you keep promoting means NOTHING.

And by admitting you KNOW so many BJD forms shows me that you actually know NOTHING. How much did they all cost you to learn??

There are not "high level knife men". They are high level fantasy guys PLAYING "knife expert."
    And we should all take your word on that one?

As for the Dog Brothers doing Lee Shing pole? I really don't think so. They're double stick and knife men as far as I know. And they're pretty good at that too!

Seeing me do it wouldn't help you.
    Ah! Something I can agree with you on 100%
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by punchdrunk View Post
    kinda funny that R. Chu would insult your lineage for its knife form... does he have secret training methods learned from any of his seminars or private lessons he had with his multitude of teachers?
    When you actually look at the various weapon forms across lineages, even within the Yip Man group, it is very revealing.

Or could he and Terrence be a couple of form collectors that don't practice what they preach?
    It's not a matter of being "form collectors" but that there is much truth to be found in comparing and contrasting what various people are teaching.

Do you think they spar with their weapons?
    I have. But quite honestly, developing skill fighting with knives and the pole isn't my focus.

No they do more important things like chatting on forums daily!
    Is chatting on a forum and skill/practicing mutually exclusive?

Mistakes of the past are best not repeated, like insulting seniors knowledge and experience of the BJD, or we end up with the BS of "profound respect for..."
    Just because someone is a "senior" doesn't mean they have more "knowledge and experience" or that they are better skilled. Hoc Mo Mo Gong Sien Hou, Tat Jie Wai Sien - Don't speak of who is senior or junior. The one who attains the skill first is the senior.

Interesting comment. So, on reflection, your kuit you keep promoting means NOTHING.
    Knowing the kuit, like knowing a form or a technique, isn't IN ITSELF, important. What is important is whether or not you can DO it.

And by admitting you KNOW so many BJD forms shows me that you actually know NOTHING. How much did they all cost you to learn??
    They are all just variations on the same theme.

And we should all take your word on that one?
    It's not a matter of taking anyone's word for it -- it is a matter of understanding what anyone needs to do to develop competent skill, whether empty hand or with weapons. We only develop fighting skill from fighting. As you indicated, people can't really fight with knives. So it follows they can't develop significant skills. And I doubt they are fighting with poles either.

As for the Dog Brothers doing Lee Shing pole? I really don't think so. They're double stick and knife men as far as I know. And they're pretty good at that too!
    I'm saying that if you want to get good at the pole, then you need to do what the Dog Brothers do -- that is, get out and do lots and lots of pole fighting.

Dog brothers!?? Sparring with 'knives'?? Who's in the fantasy world now??
    Simple... use an unsharpened steel blade or a shock knife. Wear no protection except for the eyes. You'll get a real close approximation of what going with live blades is like.

The fantasy guys are the guys who think getting cut with a knife means that it is over and don't spar full contact with blades.

Several of us are also staff fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Simple... use an unsharpened steel blade or a shock knife. Wear no protection except for the eyes. You'll get a real close approximation of what going with live blades is like.

The fantasy guys are the guys who think getting cut with a knife means that it is over and don't spar full contact with blades.
    Dale, what is your opinion on these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam4l...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spG1ENQHwzk

Your dig is quite fantastic, yet again, but shows serious lack of knowledge about Lee Shing and what he knew, yet again. Maybe as you're the 'man in the know' you can ask my Uncle why he learnt BJD from Ip Chun? If he did at all.

The simple answer is, yes, Lee Shing did teach the BJD. But not as you know it.
    Spencer,

All claims of using two foils to defeat an Olympic Fencer with one aside, is this the BJD form it as you know it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQu7wWIhNw

Looks like Yip Chun's form to me. Is it the same as yours? If so, why the descrepancy?

He even wrote a book on it published by Paladin Press where he credits Yip Chun for the set.

http://www.wcarchive.com/images/book...y-swords-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Spencer,

All claims of using two foils to defeat an Olympic Fencer with one aside, is this the BJD form it as you know it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQu7wWIhNw

Looks like Yip Chun's form to me. Is it the same as yours? If so, why the descrepancy?

He even wrote a book on it published by Paladin Press where he credits Yip Chun for the set.

http://www.wcarchive.com/images/book...y-swords-2.jpg
    To be more precise, it looks like a poorly performed Yip Chun form -- the movement was poorly executed.

Quote Originally Posted by wkmark View Post
    Robert,

Just FYI, the Karn/Garn or however you spell it was from the Iron Palm Match. Not from the sidekick. I double checked (just to be sure) the video interview of Sifu explaining Siu Nim Tao and as we he was going thru it, he mentioned the Karn/Garn Sao and told the reason for it was from the Iron Palm Match he had. (The interview was in 1996 before he passed away. It was in Cantonese but there was a translator on spot) It was held in Hong Kong at the V.T. Athletic Center. I am mentioning it just so that there is no confusion on this.

And also FYI, I am not in Australia.... I actually have never even BEEN to Australia. I have met various people from the WSL Lineage that lives in Australia. I am currently in Hong Kong.

And back to the topic, I think the OP was just wondering if anyone had a footage of the event. That's all. =)

Regards,
    WKMark,

Many thanks for your reply, you've certainly shed light on this story.

Many people say different stories, hence events may be mixed up:

http://books.google.com/books?id=39Y...page&q&f=false

I appreciate your time.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post

An FYI to some of you, shock knives hurt and they give you real feedback, grante dit is not getting 6" of steel in your gut, but the feed back is there.
    Dull aluminum knives really freaking hurt !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Aluminum and unsharpened steel blades can still kill or injure you.

Even a 1 inch semi pointy shiv can penetrate you 4-6 inches due to the elasticity of the tissues.