Thread: home remedy "cure" for coughs

home remedy "cure" for coughs

The sore throat thread got me thinking about this and i wonder if anyone else has heard of it. Apply Vick's Vaporub or similar balm to a child's feet to alleviate nighttime coughing.

A pharmacist friend suggested it to me for my son's persistent coughing. I had heard of this years ago and tried it, with uncertain results.

Is this found in Chinese pharmacology? An herb poultice containing menthol, camphor or whatever placed on the feet instead of the chest? And what is the rationale? Is it an irritant to nerve endings/ acupoints? Rubefaction for vascular dilation? Histamine response? Skin absorbtion of the chemicals?

Just curious.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

"If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim