Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfenix View Post
    this is a version of big mantis.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpybIgYjVvA
    It looks like the Beng Bu form.

although shorter than the version i have.

Big Mantis is what i call a carrot form... (hee haw)
    Its been a loooooooonnnnnngggggg time since I've had any desire whatsoever to do a form and so I might be off but I believe a decent chunk was cut out of this from the way I was taught.

Smile

Um.... This is interesting because I have seen a more "abstract" version of Wah Lum big mantis. The version in the link is definitely more keen on following the Bengbu form although it is clear that something is missing which I believe is the reason that could be it being "shorter". The tell tale sign is the performer didn't finish at the starting point. All of the Bengbu versions available regardless of style should finish at the starting point. So...

BTW, I kind of like this version with the kicks added at certain places to showcase Wah Lum's kicking techniques (nicely and thoughtfully done really). However, the addition of fancy mantis hooks looking moves are kind of "out there" and really distracting... Also I wish the lady can relax a little bit more. She seems to be too tense thus giving the impression that she really is struggling through an otherwise beautiful form. Anyway, just a thought.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    This is Big Mantis but the young lady shortened it. It is very common for WL students to either shorten or change their forms for tournament competition.

What is also interesting is that you can tell the change that WL has undergone over the years. This young lady moves more like Mimi Chan (Chan Poi's daughter) than Chan Poi. As Mimi has been groomed to take over the system, nowadays all the students seem to move more like she does. If anyone has vids of WL from at least 10-15 years ago, you will notice that the movements are the same, but the "flavor" is different. Previously the forms were executed more like Chan Poi does on the Living Legends of Kung Fu video. Look at how he does Little Mantis and then look at how most WLers do it today. IMHO today it is much more "wushu-esque". I'm not flaming WL, just making an observation. WL is a beautiful style and it is a testament to the system that the forms can be interpreted or played in many different ways and still remain pleasing to watch. Mimi is the rightful heir and can instruct in any way she sees fit. It only makes sense that she teach the forms in a manner that suites her and her influence is felt throughtout the system.

WL always does well in forms competition and its a fun style to be involved in. Very forms oriented and lots of cool weapons to play with.

Eric Hunstad
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com
    "Do not follow in the footsteps of the masters of old, seek what they sought"

Eric or anyone....

Is this Mimi in the center (3 sectional)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UfipOquJXg

It's hard to tell for sure (dark and grainy video), but it looks like Mimi, George, and Tu.

Eric Hunstad

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hunstad View Post
    It's hard to tell for sure (dark and grainy video), but it looks like Mimi, George, and Tu.

Eric Hunstad

With the crowd screaming like that when they took over I would say you're right.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT!!!!!

I'm so glad you posted this- this is the WL that I know and love! Dean was always one of my favorites- he was what I like to call one of the Big Guns of WL.

This was when WL had some real heavy hitters. I have this video also- there are also some great performances on it by other WL Big Guns such as Tracy F., Sean C. , and Troy P.

Eric Hunstad

One the page you posted is a link to a young WL student named Phu doing a awesome drunken form for the WL2000 tournament. I remember thinking at the time that he had a real future in WL but I never heard anymore about him and haven't seen anyone with his skill level in WL forms since (but then again I'm out of the WL loop). It's good that clips like these are posted to hopefully inspire a new generation.

Eric Hunstad

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' BOUT!!!!!

I'm so glad you posted this- this is the WL that I know and love! Dean was always one of my favorites- he was what I like to call one of the Big Guns of WL.

This was when WL had some real heavy hitters. I have this video also- there are also some great performances on it by other WL Big Guns such as Tracy F., Sean C. , and Troy P.

Eric Hunstad

Yep, just wanted to show some contrast to the Tu/Mimi/George clip if that is indeed them.

Yep again, Dean, Sean, Tom Turcotte, Tracy F. and Troy... Good stuff. But remember, Master Chan taught classes in the early days and he's long retired from that so the flavor now as you mentioned is different.

In addition the atmosphere back then was just magical. You don't see that much any longer. There is just no equal to Master Chan and his flavor.

In fact, when I first contacted the temple for information about joining they responded with a Rice Paper letter with the WL emblem on it and MC's signature. Man I wish I still had that piece of paper. So cool.

WL original called [Tang Lang Tan Tui Men螳螂探腿門],and was first known in [Hua Lin Temple華林寺] Shan Dong Province by a monk named [Cheng Yang 澄飬禪師]. The first generation outside the temple is [Li Kun Shan李昆山],he learned from Cheng Yang in the temple and went to [Bao An Shen Jing area of Guang Dong Province廣東省寶安縣深井] later. His first student was [Chen Yun Qing陳雲青], later [Chen Pei陳培]joined in. He set up a [Hua Lin Pai Chinese Martial Art Association華林派國術總會]in Boston East America in 1970. While his sihing Chen Yun Qing set up a [Shan Dong Hua Lin Pai Chinese Martial Art Association山東華林派國術總會in Hong Kong later in 1971. And changed the name of their style into [Shan Dong Hua Lin Pai山東華林派].

One the page you posted is a link to a young WL student named Phu doing a awesome drunken form for the WL2000 tournament. I remember thinking at the time that he had a real future in WL but I never heard anymore about him and haven't seen anyone with his skill level in WL forms since (but then again I'm out of the WL loop). It's good that clips like these are posted to hopefully inspire a new generation.

Eric Hunstad
    Phu was a student of Stanley Tabor from Massachusetts (my Sifu). Unfortunately, he stopped studying martial arts when he started attending college. He was a phenomenal student. Watching him and his friend Jesse perform together was inspiring.

So I got out class early today and was bored so went back and reviewed it. She cuts the form close to the end around 55seconds. Which is somewhat disappointing because the road she cut and kinda slopped up is probably the most applicable part of the set...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    So I got out class early today and was bored so went back and reviewed it. She cuts the form close to the end around 55seconds. Which is somewhat disappointing because the road she cut and kinda slopped up is probably the most applicable part of the set...
    In some ways her performance looks like a blend of CCKTJPM beng bu and 7* beng bu. Does anyone else see this?

Could someone put the complete, real version of Wah Lum Beng Bu up? Yu Shan perhaps?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!