Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wah Lum Big Mantis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burV6gUJ_Z0

is this the wah lum big mantis? he lists the video as Da TangLang and it looks like it might be the full form?

Nope. Not full.

Quote Originally Posted by iunojupiter View Post
    Phu was a student of Stanley Tabor from Massachusetts (my Sifu). Unfortunately, he stopped studying martial arts when he started attending college. He was a phenomenal student. Watching him and his friend Jesse perform together was inspiring.
    Is Sifu Stanley Tabor still in the Wah Lum system?

No - Stan Tabor hasn't been a part of the Wah Lum system for several years.

Phu is alive and well. I saw him for the first time in years at the Wah Lum Anniversary show in Boston in May and he looked great.

Finally, while I try to stay out of the business of contributing to the running commentary on forms people post, I will say that the one thing that turns me off to a form immediately is someone who has clearly learned it and practiced for the purpose of flashy moves without an understanding of the applications. It's the same answer I gave years ago when I was called on to judge forms in a competition and someone asked me how I could possibly feel qualified in scoring someone who studied a style I didn't practice, or performed something I didn't know: there are aspects of all practical martial arts that are common across styles. If the material isn't well known to the performer, if the stances aren't strong and rooted, if the techniques aren't completed because they're done too quickly, if the performer's focus isn't at the point where the technique (hand or weapon!) is being delivered, and if you can't puzzle out the application because it's more hand waving than hand technique, it's dance, not martial arts.

There's a bit of dancing in the links attached to this thread...

Cheers!

- CS
    Last edited by Chop Socki; 09-26-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    CS

Word!

Eric Hunstad
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Quote Originally Posted by woliveri View Post
    Eric or anyone....

Is this Mimi in the center (3 sectional)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UfipOquJXg

Yes, that is Sifu Mimi.

- Pete

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hunstad View Post
    It's hard to tell for sure (dark and grainy video), but it looks like Mimi, George, and Tu.

Eric Hunstad

Correct.

- Pete
    Last edited by Spidey; 09-26-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    So I got out class early today and was bored so went back and reviewed it. She cuts the form close to the end around 55seconds. Which is somewhat disappointing because the road she cut and kinda slopped up is probably the most applicable part of the set...

i'm the guy who filmed this...and all i can say is: dude, cut her some slack. that's cori fukuchi - she's close to 60, and still competing in the advanced adult division at tournaments (not executive, adult). i doubt i'll be able to do what she's doing at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    i'm the guy who filmed this...and all i can say is: dude, cut her some slack. that's cori fukuchi - she's close to 60, and still competing in the advanced adult division at tournaments (not executive, adult). i doubt i'll be able to do what she's doing at that age.
    I was being rather reserved in that comment. The fact that this is considered advanced is all the more disappointing. But then I don't give much weight to forms as is so whatever...

The fact you can go to a kung fu tournament and find 50 people doing forms and only 5 actually sparring is all there is that needs to be said.

Personally I think they need to make continuous sparring mandatory for all those "grand champ" divisions everyone gets into. And application needs to be a part of forms competition.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 09-26-2010 at 06:12 PM.

I hate tourneys, I used to do them when I was young and fighting full contact, ISKA stuff, but it was always filled with people who were looking to get a trophey and build up this unrealistic self confidence about what they were leanring.

when i got my black belt, I was a judge for a couple years and when was instructed to judge forms betwen 7 and a 8.5 WTF is that?

The overweight girl whos gi didnt fit her who sucked and kiyaed off beat and had no form, no stance or power would get a 7.3 and someone who had great form, good stances, power style and grace got a 7.8 this type of craap is what killed the real martial artist.... take the paul mitchell team for instance....... end rant.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    Amazing for 60 years old! Props to her!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    Pushing 60 and can move like that and hold those low stances?

Wow, kudos to her. Most people her age are on 10 different Rx's and move like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz.

This woman demonstrates the true goal of kung fu, regardless of whether she can fight or not.

Eric Hunstad

Now THIS is old people kicking ***. L-Pull ups and 1 arm push ups > horse stances IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEjC2tmj_I