Thread: Newbie needs help!!!!

Newbie needs help!!!!

I'm hoping you guys will be able to help a new guy out. I have been training Wing Chun for 4.5 years and I'm looking to try something different. My sifu also taught me some shaolin weapons forms as well. This is the one thing I am looking to continue however I know many schools don't let you start out training weapons.

I live in the toronto area and I'm looking to start training maybe 5 animals, or mantis, or CLF or something along those lines. I have no idea about these styles and which schools are any good. Does anyone live around here and can maybe offer some suggestions? Is there one style that someone would recommend over another? If so why?

Thanks in advance! All this research has me lost and I know there are schools out there that I am not seeing in a google search.

http://torontobuksing.page.tl/Home.htm

Buk Sing Kwoon in Toronto.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Quote Originally Posted by kungfublow View Post
    I'm hoping you guys will be able to help a new guy out. I have been training Wing Chun for 4.5 years and I'm looking to try something different. My sifu also taught me some shaolin weapons forms as well. This is the one thing I am looking to continue however I know many schools don't let you start out training weapons.

I live in the toronto area and I'm looking to start training maybe 5 animals, or mantis, or CLF or something along those lines. I have no idea about these styles and which schools are any good. Does anyone live around here and can maybe offer some suggestions? Is there one style that someone would recommend over another? If so why?

Thanks in advance! All this research has me lost and I know there are schools out there that I am not seeing in a google search.
    The phone book is loaded with schools in the GTA. So, you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

I doubt a public class will start you with weapons of their style and for sure they won't give regard to whatever rank you hold in wing chun.

Having said that, what part of Toronto are you in? How far are you willing to travel? What are you willing to pay as a fee for your kwoon use or class attendance etc?

here's a google link with those schools around the gta that have sites that have been listed in google maps for businesses.

Google link to GTA kung fu school
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The phone book is loaded with schools in the GTA. So, you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

I doubt a public class will start you with weapons of their style and for sure they won't give regard to whatever rank you hold in wing chun.

Having said that, what part of Toronto are you in? How far are you willing to travel? What are you willing to pay as a fee for your kwoon use or class attendance etc?

here's a google link with those schools around the gta that have sites that have been listed in google maps for businesses.

Google link to GTA kung fu school
    Thanks for that David!!

I have seen most of those schools already. There is a couple in there that really look good. However I have trouble telling a good school from a bad one even when I attend a class to get a feel for it. I just really don't know what to look for. I didn't when I started Wing Chun either but I think I just got lucky in that respect and ended up at a good school. That being said I have no ilusions about being able to transfer over my wing chun credits so to speak. I realize the start of any new system puts you at the ground level. I was just hoping they would take into account that I am no stranger to weapons and most likely could continue to train them without having to wait 3 years to perfect my horse stance.

I am in Newmarket so anything close would be a bonus. However I haven't found much in the area. I'm not afraid to drive though if the school is right. I don't really have a cost that I need to stay in. I'm open to anything as long as the training is worth the dollars.

I'm really on at a loss on what to study. I am just looking for something more phycially challanging than wing chun and maybe more artistic. I'm not going to be a fighter and really just train for the love of the art. This automatically leads me towards styles like 5 animals or Mantis.

Go to richard leung's buk sing school I can vouch for him.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori