Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jon Funk

Do you really think Muhammed Ali's trainer could kick Ali's a s s? A good teacher and a good fighter may be two different things.

Apparently you had a bad experience with Mr. Funk. I have only met him once at a tournament he was helping with. So I really have no opinion of him pro or con.

The questions you asked were all valid questions. But when you brought up the name of a man who is trying to just run a successful business, you broke a simple rule of polite behavior. Don't attack specific individuals on an internet forum.

Had you asked your questions and left out the instructor's name, no one would have cared and it would have shown class on your part. Many of us here who give our real names have suffered ridicule at one time or another on the Internet. So, we will be protective of others we see being abused in the same way.

Ask as many questions as you desire. Just please don't veil attacks on others under the guise of desiring knowledge. It simply isn't polite!

Now Tonto/Miss Manners will ride off into the sunset.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thank you. I apologized and was attacked for apologizing, I asked questions and was attacked for asking questions, I gave people **** and was attacked for that. Is mental illness common in mantis people..just kidding!!

nfboy
    I asked questions and was attacked for asking questions, I gave people **** and was attacked for that. Is mental illness common in mantis people..just kidding!!
    no harm no foul,
    but how would you act if someone verbally attacked one of your family members? You see mantis like all other styles of kung fu are families and stick up for one another and Jon funk is a brother, but you honestly cant expect to be the "new guy" come out of nowhere, make empty challenges attack a well known and well respected teacher and nto catch any flack from it.

But again its all good, I would suggest that if you really want to test his skills ask to cross hands with one of his upper students and if they in your words "kick your ass" then perhaps it doesnt matter how many forms he knows...... what he teaches works.

I currently teach 5 black belts from other schools and have taught many in the past and the first thing I do is let them attack me whatever they choose.
    When I show them thier weaknesses, by either smacking thier face , locking, throwing or putting them on the floor then its time for thier teaching to begin, if they beat me then I guess I would ask them to teach me.
    But not one of them judged me on how many forms I knew... PS I only know 5 but what does that prove?
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 09-14-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva View Post
    Hi mantis108

"Nowadays, my focus is but 5 forms or so and of course the 64 Shou Fa. Honestly, good Kung Fu isn't about forms."

Would you mind listing those 5 forms?
    Hi taichi4eva,

The 5 forms for my own practice are:

Qi Shou
    Xiao Fanche/Liuhe Zhang
    Lanjie
    Bazhou (shang xia as one form)
    Dan Zhai Meihua

If someone ask me to show him/her the more significant forms/material of CCK TCPM then those are:

Mo Yun Zhang (Taiji palm)
    Lanjie
    Bazhou
    Shaolin Fo Zhuang (wooden dummy)
    64 Shou Fa

BTW, I regard the Lanjie and Bazhou as one long unbroken form.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Quote Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
    Ok what ever. I have no interest in training with him. He did not impress me with his skill or his self righteous attitude. As for you two who cares ..mooyingmantis I have seen your clips on youtube you need to drop 80 pounds ..just what kung fu needs another fat , middle aged , white Chinese wannabe. Earth dragon, jesus I bet your white also. As for my hung gar, at lease my teacher taught class and did not sit on his ass like jon the ******* funk and get *****y when I asked questions. Thing is I know the difference between **** and good kung fu and have trained with some of the best hung gar and thai boxers around.
    Jon Funk is **** as I am sure you two clowns are
    so were you biased against liking jon funk before you heard him out because of the fact that he's white??? come clean man, be honest?!?!?!?

The answer is simple..if you cant kick my ass why would I pay you to teach me. I have more than enough hung gar to work on. I just wanted to try something new while I was in town for school. So I visited his club, talked to him , watched a class, talked to his students and once again he was rude..thats it plain and simple. I did not show up at his school and challenge him , i just asked questions. When I asked about certain forms I was told they were not important. So I figured why would I train with some one who does not know the complete system of the style they teach, I would never train with a boxer who only new how to throw a jab!!
    maybe he just thought you were an arrogant guy and treated you as such... maybe after so many years of teaching he's learned how to read people a little bit, maybe weed out the bad seeds here and there, huh... i dont know jon funk, and his rep means nothing to me, but you were pretty disrespectful from the start...

if a group of local sifu get together to challenge the legitimacy of jon funk thats something he would have to adress... but surely you dont expect anyone to stop everything and prove themselves to the satisfaction of some random non-entity hater for no reason other than to apease some bullsh*t display of hubris... a negative anonymous non-entity at that...

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...?t=5789&page=2

This is what I found when I initially started looking into Jon Funk. Seems people on this board use to not think much of him. So I went to one of his classes to see for my self. I was quite, polite and humble. I am by no means a beginner in martial arts so i know to be polite at others peoples schools. His students were good, the forms were nice, the sparring was a mix of point and kickboxing, or that is what it looked like. When I asked questions Jon seemed to get annoyed with me thats it, I was not rude to him, I did not challenge his status as a sifu!! So after that encounter I thought I should ask more people on a forum and now I really don't care to train with him at all. As for him being white who cares, but ya got to admit a lot of non -Chinese develop a flaky, new age, Confucius, kung fu master attitude some times.

surely you had decided against going to his school before your first post tho, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    so were you biased against liking jon funk before you heard him out because of the fact that he's white??? come clean man, be honest?!?!?!?
    hes white? But his name gots the funk in it

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

good one goju.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

If I had decided against him I would of not took the time to visit him.

What is funny is the number of Mantis "Sifus" out there that move like he does. Ha ha ha...... They are easy to spot even though they claim a different lineage.

please explain??

please explain??
    They "learned" from Video tapes produced by Jon Funk
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Well he moves like all the 7* I have seen out of Hong Kong, now mainland 7* they move different!! Fast, more like a mantis I think.