Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Funk

Never mind the politics. The issue of the number of forms is an interesting one. Besides the weapons forms, which empty hand forms encapsulate the essence of 7* Praying Mantis? You wouldn't think that more than half a dozen is necessary.

One should never look down on "beginner sets". There is a good reason they are the foundation practices.

Thank you for all that info. am sorry if I came off as rude and hard on Sifu Funk, but when I asked him this stuff he was easily offended and came across angry with me that I asked /e-mailed him questions.

nfboy,
    quite honeslty you dont deserve to be taught, and I hope Jon doesnt enroll you.

Not to sound to harsh but all you have done on this board was to join (9 posts) with your own negative opinion about him, which was already set in your head, then asked our opinion and when it wasnt what you wanted to hear and you didnt want to listen to the reason he is a good teacher, you spouted off again attacking his teaching, credibility and knowledge and acted very condesending.

I dont know what you were taught for 10 years by your old hung gar shifu but it sure wasnt respect!

I am sure Jon doesnt need a student with this attitude like yours this will not make or break his school if dont join, so do yourself and us a favor and find someome to learn from that you can respect from the git go.

If you came into my school only once, asked a couple questions didnt touch hands with me or see me move or fight then came onto a public forum and tried to
    discredit me and base an opinion on your lack of knowledge, I would not teach you either, there are too many willing student to give my time to.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Earthdragon,
    Don't be such a pansie! Tell us how you REALLY feel.
    Yeah, I agree with you. I have had peeps that already had all the answers () approach me about lessons. I wonder if when I blew them off they went on a chat forum and filleted me?

Though at least his questions brought up an interesting discussion on forms.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Ok what ever. I have no interest in training with him. He did not impress me with his skill or his self righteous attitude. As for you two who cares ..mooyingmantis I have seen your clips on youtube you need to drop 80 pounds ..just what kung fu needs another fat , middle aged , white Chinese wannabe. Earth dragon, jesus I bet your white also. As for my hung gar, at lease my teacher taught class and did not sit on his ass like jon the ******* funk and get *****y when I asked questions. Thing is I know the difference between **** and good kung fu and have trained with some of the best hung gar and thai boxers around.
    Jon Funk is **** as I am sure you two clowns are

LOL! And there you have it folks, another troll revealed for who they are. I hope he turned off the light and closed the door as he left.

Why do our moderators allow guys like this to try and ruin an instructors reputation? I would have deleted the thread after his first lame post. Does this forum have a moderator?

BTW, I am past middle-aged and very proud of my Native American heritage. No Chinese wannabe here. As for the 80 pounds, I am sorry but I will not part with my left testicle just to lighten up 80 pounds.

My feelings are always so hurt when anonymous people discredit me. BOOHOO! I wonder if we will ever see his anonymous skills on YouTube?
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

So you two clowns can give me **** but if I give it back I am a troll. Screw you both. Next time you are in Van. look me up and show me your fat ass mantis moves tonto.

nfboy
    sorry kid truth hurts to hear sometimes, but in any event have a wonderful day, and dont worry too much about what people say, kung fu isnt for everybody, try boxing take care
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 09-14-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Funny you two guys call your selfs sifu's and you have acted and treated me like crap for asking questions. I guest the standards are real low for what makes a sifu in mantis. At lease with boxing I know I will lean stuff and arrogant self righteous people like your selfs and JFunk will get weeded out pretty fast. Seen it a hundred times so called sifu's getting there ass handed to them by novice boxers.

O ya I have also received several p.m's telling me that you do need to know all the forms to be taken serious as a sifu and that Mr.Funk has a terrible rep.

nfboy
    alow me to answer your question with YOUR own posts...... and let the board see who is being disrespeftul and causing problems, OK but this is gonna hurt a littel bit.
    BTW you have 10 posts on these boards most of us have been here for YEARS and have seen your kind before, and most of us know Jon Funk or at least know of him so how does it look for you to talk smack about him to his peers when you are but a meer student with only 10 years who ironically enough is looking for a teacher

your quotes
    but the more I read about 7*mantis and about him I kinda think he is a fraud! His skill level in stick hands and push hands seems very average at best and his lack of forms I find very questionable.

but how can you call yourself a sifu if you don't know all the forms to the system.

but the one time I talked to him he came off as very arrogant, rude and egotistical.

LOl..Jon Funk only teaches one of these forms, bung bo. The other two he does not even know! The guy has not been certified by anyone to teach! Al Cheng was never certified to teach by WHF or given permission to teach so how could Mr.Funk ever consider himself a sifu.

so in other word's he could not be bothered learning them! I am not a student there, I was only asking questions! Come on his rep is not all that great! When I searched him on the web and other forums I found more negative stuff than positive and also from talking to locals since I moved here few have positive things to say about him.

All I know about AL Cheng is what I read on this forum, and that is he was not a graduate of WHF.
    so in other word's he could not be bothered learning them! I am not a student there, I was only asking questions! Come on his rep is not all that great! When I searched him on the web and other forums I found more negative stuff than positive and also from talking to locals since I moved here few have positive things to say about him.

All I know about AL Cheng is what I read on this forum, and that is he was not a graduate of WHF.

Ok what ever. I have no interest in training with him. He did not impress me with his skill or his self righteous attitude. As for you two who cares ..mooyingmantis I have seen your clips on youtube you need to drop 80 pounds ..just what kung fu needs another fat , middle aged , white Chinese wannabe. Earth dragon, jesus I bet your white also. As for my hung gar, at lease my teacher taught class and did not sit on his ass like jon the ******* funk and get *****y when I asked questions. Thing is I know the difference between **** and good kung fu and have trained with some of the best hung gar and thai boxers around.
    Jon Funk is **** as I am sure you two clowns are
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 09-14-2010 at 01:47 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Not looking for a teacher !! just here in Vancouver for the next year for school and was looking for a club to train with and maybe learn some thing new while I am here. I really do hope they kick me off this board, it has been quite the eye opener as to the rudeness of mantis clans and yes I think sifu's should be called out and have to prove there legitimacy.

Not looking for a teacher !! just here in Vancouver for the next year for school and was looking for a club to train with and maybe learn some thing new while I am here.

Then can I ask what difference it makes how many sets he knows or as you said (lack of knowledge?) He knows more than a year full so whatever you would be learning would be better than what you know now wouldnt it be?

however If you are looking for a "workout" place then join a gym that offeres self defense classes, or try a MMA school and get some workouts in, anything you learn in a year you wouldnt be profficiant at so why seek out a complete system if you are only going to give it less than 12 months. even if you go 3x a week thats like 150 classes

it has been quite the eye opener as to the rudeness of mantis clans .
    who was rude to you? you asked some good questions and alot of people took time out of thier busy day to answer them, however when thier answers wernt what you wanted to hear you attcked the guy and fellow board memebers and attempted to disredit his knowledge and challenge people to fight you. Are you serious right now? Can you go back and re read your posts to us...

and yes I think sifu's should be called out and have to prove there legitimacy
    To who? YOU? for what reason does anyone have anything to prove to you? especially after you spoke ill willed towards him behinds his back without his knowledge.... your a piece of work, and as I said I would hope he wouldnt except you as his student. I know I wouldnt.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 09-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Quote Originally Posted by nfboy View Post
    So you two clowns can give me **** but if I give it back I am a troll. Screw you both. Next time you are in Van. look me up and show me your fat ass mantis moves tonto.
    Sounds like fun Kimosabi!
    Richard A. Tolson

The answer is simple..if you cant kick my ass why would I pay you to teach me. I have more than enough hung gar to work on. I just wanted to try something new while I was in town for school. So I visited his club, talked to him , watched a class, talked to his students and once again he was rude..thats it plain and simple. I did not show up at his school and challenge him , i just asked questions. When I asked about certain forms I was told they were not important. So I figured why would I train with some one who does not know the complete system of the style they teach, I would never train with a boxer who only new how to throw a jab!!