Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: # of Forms - deserves it's own thread.

# of Forms - deserves it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Never mind the politics. The issue of the number of forms is an interesting one. Besides the weapons forms, which empty hand forms encapsulate the essence of 7* Praying Mantis? You wouldn't think that more than half a dozen is necessary.

One should never look down on "beginner sets". There is a good reason they are the foundation practices.
    Good topic for discussion. It doesn't need to be buried in that other thread.

fer real

You need one - it's "Sub Sa Lo" (I always spell it wrong). I've outlined my rationale in other posts.

I am not a PM man, nor have I ever studied Norther PM, but having done MA for over 30 years and having gone through numerous forms in Kyokushin, ITF TKD, Hung Kuen, WC, SPM I can say this:
    You don't need them at all.
    That said, forms are great fun, if you enjoy them.
    At one point I knew about 50 forms and 4 different sanchin forms, LOL !
    Nowadays I train 3 forms only - 2 types of Sanchin and the Iron wire.
    The rest is freestyle.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

For myself, I feel that I only need a few forms and those forms are ones that I feel cater to my fighting style and methods of conditioning.

For my students, I feel that it is important to pass on all the forms I know.

Who am I to say what forms are necessary. Everyone has a different approach to fighting, so I say that I will give a person all of the tools in the toolbox and focus on teaching them how best to use those tools. Then they can decide which tools are right for them.

As I said in he other thread, (PS sorry it got derailed by the 9 post new guy) I learned 5 forms I teach 5 forms, the applications areadly over lapp, so i couldnt imagine have more what's the point?

forms are great for telling your story, adding your flavor.

Balance, flexabilty, speed, timing, agility, and cardio are by products.

If you can apply the movements found in your styles forms in combat or in training then how many different ways do you need to reach to same goal?

everthing lse is just for show and collecting
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    When you learn a new form, you have to ask yourself, what will this new form help you? What will you miss if you don't learn this new form? Many school had integrated froms from other style. The Nanking CMA Institute and the Shanghai Chinwoo school all integrated Kung Li Chuan from the Kung Li system as their basic training form. Why waste time to learn that form? If you can just scrach the surface of the Kung Li style, it's not going to help you very much.

If you go through elementary school 6 times, you won't get a PhD degree. If you just take one class from college, you won't get your BS/BA degree either.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2010 at 01:31 PM.

A big change for me

came about when a video production client gave me a book called "Strong on Defense" by Sanford Strong. It's not a technique book. It's just a book that describes the aftermath of violent crimes. It apparently is the same training that police use to understand and deal with sudden violence.

One thing that becomes apparent IMO is that martial arts training as it is currently being trained (sport or traditional) isn't effective for self defense. It's great for focus, spiritual, balance, health... etc, but it's not good self defense- it can be, but it requires a huge mental shift and approach. Read the book for more info.

Anyway- one solid form. Be aggressive in defense. Don't worry about injuries to yourself. K.I.S.S. I think Sub Sa Lo handles this very well for 7* Mantis.

this isn't to say that I don't respect the system or all of the forms. I just feel that it's not all that necessary to focus on learning all of the forms.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DBAC View Post
    For myself, I feel that I only need a few forms and those forms are ones that I feel cater to my fighting style and methods of conditioning.

For my students, I feel that it is important to pass on all the forms I know.

Who am I to say what forms are necessary. Everyone has a different approach to fighting, so I say that I will give a person all of the tools in the toolbox and focus on teaching them how best to use those tools. Then they can decide which tools are right for them.
    You sound a lot like my Sifu and it's a great teaching philosophy.
    ----
    One thing I should mention... I don't plan on being a Mantis Sifu, so my outlook and approach is definitely unique to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I don't plan on being a Mantis Sifu, so my outlook and approach is definitely unique to me.
    Agree on this! Since I no longer want to be a Longfist teacher, I don't teach or train Longfist forms any more (I think Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming is doing a goog job - we share the same Longfist teacher). I had combined all my Longfist form into 1 form, "長拳摘要(Chang Chuan Zhai Yao)". Today I don't even train or teach that form. Today the only thing that I train is "60 different drills".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2010 at 02:58 PM.

MightyB,
    Glad to see someone beat me to this. I get tired of sounding like Capt. Continual Questions. I'm sure some peeps must think that I don't have anyone else to talk to except the KFO forums. Not true, the voices in my head keep me very busy!

I teach four mantis forms:

Beng Bu - it covers the twelve keywords
    Lanjie - as the name implies, it covers intercepting
    Ba Zhou - it emphasizes short power from the core
    Diao Fa - it summarizes the trademark clawing and hooking methods

If I were to add another it would be Da Fanche or Xiao Fanche to emphasize long arm attacks.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Lanjie - as the name implies, it covers intercepting.
    The 2nd move of this form, "五打連環劈(Wu Da Lian Huan Pi) is a very important intermediate training method in the 7 star Mantis system. It forces you to use your body to pull your arm up, down, left, right, and forward (body pull limbs). You don't see that in the Beng Bu. This's why this form is so important in the Mantis intermediate level training. You only see the body move and you don't see the limbs moves. This Shenfa is quite different from the Karate downward or upward block that you only see the arm move and you don't see the body move.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The 2nd move of this form, "五打連環劈(Wu Da Lian Huan Pi) is a very important intermediate training method in the 7 star Mantis system. It forces you you to use your body to pull your arm up, down, left, right, and forward. You don't see that in the Beng Bu. This's why this form is so important in the Mantis intermediate level training.
    Not all 7* schools include that in their Lanjie. Though it is found in TJPM, TJMHPM and CCKTJPM. CCKTJPM actually has lengthened it to more than 5 moves (10 moves if memory serves me correctly).

Though excellent point about Five Strike Continuous Circle Splitting (五打連環劈(Wu Da Lian Huan Pi) YouKnowWho!
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-14-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

At one time I learned over a dozen mantis sets... eventually, I forgot most of them except Beng Bu and Shi Ba Shou. I still play Beng Bu a lot for fun, or if people want to see fancy gung fu, rather than ugly WCK, and I don't feel like doing Hung Kuen.

The 3 Mei Hua sets are good.

The Zai Yao sets are good also.

Tang Lang Chu Dong is also very good.

I have learned too many forms. Its better to have the essence in one set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    CCKTJPM actually has lengthened it to more than 5 moves (10 moves if memory serves me correctly).
    I saw Mantis master 孫德隆(Sun De Long) did that. I think he combined "左右二陰陽(Zuo You Er Yin Yang) - left and right double circles" and then added a forward 陰陽(Yin Yang) at the end. Nothing wrong with that. It balanced pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    The Zai Yao sets are good also.
    It was so funny that Mantis system tried to use Zai Yao to summarize (draw conclusion) all their information in their last form. They ended up with more than one Zai Yao (summary) instead.

Same reason as the last Harry Potter movie will end with 2 movies. It may be too long to be in one movie, or the movie company just tried to make more money out of it toward the end.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.