On reflection and in response to questions asked by Sifu Robert Chu about my kung fu Uncles (Austin Goh) knife clip on Youtube, I thought that I would respond within my own thread as I think the discussion is worth having openly.

Personally, I'm more interested in how to train well in all areas of the art, and that involes taking the knowledge and images we have kept within the forms to another level completely. After meeting and presenting seminars with my Uncle recently I thought it was quite strange to be questioned so openly about something so personal to me.

Here goes

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
Spencer,

All claims of using two foils to defeat an Olympic Fencer with one aside, is this the BJD form it as you know it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQu7wWIhNw

Looks like Yip Chun's form to me. Is it the same as yours? If so, why the descrepancy?

He even wrote a book on it published by Paladin Press where he credits Yip Chun for the set.

http://www.wcarchive.com/images/book...y-swords-2.jpg
As far as I know, which isn't far at all really, how my Uncle learnt his knife form is his business What I will ask you is who you think taught Ip Chun the knife form? And why my Uncle would choose to learn from Ip Chun? Performance quality aside, and I do understand the criticisms, that's still my Uncles business He is also still healthy and teaching in the UK and Europe.

As for what I know about the eight chopping knife, my Uncle didn't teach me the form as I had the fortune to learn from another elder student of Lee Shing. And no, my knives do not look like my Uncles. Similar postures, different mechanics to move within them. That knowledge is in fact Jun Mo, not Ching Mo.

I will leave you to come to your own conclusions, but...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
An FYI to some of you, shock knives hurt and they give you real feedback, grante dit is not getting 6" of steel in your gut, but the feed back is there.
Dull aluminum knives really freaking hurt !
... I have felt this pain, luckily not on many occassions And for the record, we all trained together. A group of 5 with many more students too. Jun Mo is known for it's weaponry interactions and I'm honoured to say that I was a part of the schools history at that specific time. Stick to stick, stick to knife, ring to stick and all that jazz

How many others are still doing this? Daily

What have you practised with a knife in your hand?