Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Traditional Wushu Championships 2010

Dreams of Kungfu Lovers...

Such a great subhead. That could be the title of a movie or a band or maybe even the forum here...
    Kungfu dreams in world's "Olympics of martial arts"
    English.news.cn 2010-10-22 08:33:17 FeedbackPrintRSS

WUHAN, China, Oct. 21 (Xinhua) -- "I love Chinese Kungfu. It's extensive and profound. My dream is to open my own school and teach Kungfu in Peru," said Bejiamin, a Peru athlete at the World Traditional Wushu Championships (WTWC).

Hosted by China, the biggest-ever WTWC, crowned as the "Olympics of martial arts", concluded on Thursday, providing a platform for the world's Wushu players to get closer and spread their "Kungfu dreams".

"OLYMPICS OF MARTIAL ARTS"

With more than 2,000 year's history, Chinese martical arts, also known as Wushu, is a precious traditional cultural heritage of China.

To better spread Wushu in the world, the biennial WTWC, sponsored by the International Wushu Federation(IWF), started from 2004 and has become one of the largest traditional Wushu events in the world.

The six-day championships this year attracted more than 2,000 contestants from 83 countries and regions to compete in 300 events at central China's Shiyan city, near the Wudang Mountain, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the cradle of a main sect of Chinese martial arts as important as the Shaolin style.

"I'm very proud to see people from all over the world come to learn Wushu in China," Hollywood star and martial artist Jackie Chan said at the championships, "I hope Wushu will become a formal event at the Olympic Games, thus Chinese culture will be better understood this way."

Peru Wushu coach Bejiamin is the only one who got a the first class certificate for Chinese martial arts in his country. After two years of hard learning, he grabbed the gold medal of Baji Boxing in the championship, a type of Wudang Kungfu.

"Many foreigners, like me, know Chinese culture and love this country through practising martial arts. I believe as long as I keep learning Kungfu, my dream will come true," he said.

DREAMS OF KUNGFU LOVERS

As effective fitness exercises with rich traditional culture, Chinese martial arts has attracted more and more foreigners with "Kungfu dreams" to come to China and learn it in recent years.

Every year, more than 5,000 world's Wushu lovers swarmed to Wudang for learning Wushu, according to the Wudang Boxing Study Association.

"We have received a lot of Wushu lovers from nearly 30 countries during these years, many of them coming in groups and staying at Wudang for several months and years," said Yue Wu, deputy chairman of Shiyan Wushu Association, also a master of Wudang Wushu.

As a coach of Italian Wushu Federation, the 60-year-old Manca Giancarlo has practised martial arts for 40 years. Twenty years ago, he, nicknamed as "Boxing Champion of Mediterranean", gave up boxing and became a Kungfu fan after touching Wushu occasionally.

From then on, he stepped on the Wudang Mountain each year to learn Wudang Wushu. Now, he has opened more than ten Wushu schools in Rome, Milan, Florence and Sicily, with more than 2,000 students scattering over the Europe.

"Compared with some fighting sports like boxing, martial arts pay more attention to the body building, and the harmony between the inner part and the outside world," Manca Giancarlo said.

"Wushu is not only the treasure of China, but the heritage of the world. I teach Wushu to spread the Chinese civilization and help more people live a healthy life," he added.

The 26-year-old JeffReid, an American young man, came to China alone to learn Kungfu in 2007. He planned to spend eight years mastering Wushu in China.

"The martial arts give me a healthy body and great joy. I dream of showing Americans the real Kungfu," he said.

PERSISITING EFFORTS

Although Wushu has so many foreign fans, compared with judo of Japan and taekwondo of Korea, it's still facing the challenge of low popularizing rate. Besides, its diverse schools also hinder it becoming a sport event of Olympic Games.

How to generalize a set of specified standards for Wushu and help it spread more widely in an easier way around the world, has been a long-cherished dream for Chinese government and many Chinese Wushu practisers.

To make this dream come true, the International Wushu Federation (IWF) has made great progress in spreading Wushu since it was established in 1990. Until now, 139 countries and regions have joined the federation.

A series of world championships and world cups have also been carried out in China, including the Sportaccord Combat Games 2010 Beijing, attracting 105 countries and districts.

At the foot of the Wudang Mountain, several thousands people are now learning Wudang Wushu.

"The local government and several Wushu study associations have made efforts to push forward Kungfu enter the schools, communities and companies," said Yue Wu, "people can also learn Wushu by watching videos on the website."

The International Association of Wudang Wushu, organized by many Wushu masters, also planned to establish a hundred of Wushu schools around the globe.

"Wushu originated in China but belongs to the world,"said Wang Xiaolin, general secretary of the International Wushu Federation.

"We have been trying to push Wushu to become an event at the future Summer Olympic Games. Although there is a long way to go, we are mulling simplifying the sport, hoping it can be accepted by Pan-American Games and All-Africa Games first."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

opulent

Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

Etiquette requires us to admire the human race.
    --Mark Twain

I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.
    --Mark Twain

Questioning my knowledge has made you look even more ignorant
    --Shaolinsky

the opening ceremony has a bunch of skinny feminine men wearing eyeliners doing erotic modern dance. this is a disgrace.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-26-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

**** kid of wushu

I gotta poach that alliteration for something...
    The **** Kid of Wushu Strikes again

Despite the existence of conventional women's sports like Netball, Basketball and Athletics, Nishadi Lakshika Perera opted to enter the rough and tough arena of wushu where she has met with unparalled success. While being a grade 4 student at Vishaka Vidiyalaya Nishadi first fancied the sport of Wushu then and since entering local and international competitions has been a Medal winner 90% of the time. The latest being the silver Medal she won at the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championship held in China recently where she gained the distinction of being the only woman competitor from Sri Lanka to be decorated with a Medal competing with athletes from 83 Countries.

Nishadi Lakshika Perera

This speaks volumes for her talent and class notwithstanding her thirst for excellence in her chosen sport. She first gained success when she entered the Western province schools wushu Association Meet in 2003 and obtained a Gold Medal in the Thaiji Jan Event. This win opened the floodgates for Nishadi to excel at School level and later on at National level.

The trophies and Medals won by Nishadi stand testimony not only to her talent but also to her commitment and sheer hard training under her school coach. Ms N Weerasinghe guided and encouraged by Ms Disna and Ranjini teachrs-in-charge and by her current National coach Sujith Manju Kumara.

The wins and places secured by Nishadi are awe inspiring to say the least. She went on to win the gold Medals in the Thaiji Jan and Thaiji Quan events representing Vishaka at the Western Province Schools wushu associations on numerous occasions and was also the silver Medal winner in the spear and long sword event in 2004. Then in 2006 she won Western province Colours and a Merit Certificate being supreme in the Thaiji Jian and the Thaiji Quan events with commendable ease.

She was inducted to the National pool in 2008 immediately after the 10th Wushu Nationals where she gained 3rd place in the Nanquan event and has been a permanent member since then. She was also named the Most outstanding sports personality in Vishaka Vidiyalaya in 2008 receiving a special award for a single event plus glittering trophies from the then Pime Minister the Hon.

Ratnasiri Wickremanayake who was the Chief Guest at the School's prize giving.2008 and 2009 were really glorious years for Nishadi as she really shone for Sri Lanka claiming the Bronze Medal in the Nandao event at the Traditional world championship followed by bagging 3 silver Medals in 2009 at the National Wushu Championships after recording an unprecedented win in the same three events ie. The Nan quan, Nandao and Nangun events at the Western Province Schools meet earlier.

Perhaps once and only once in a lifetime that we will be privileged to see a schoolgirl like Nishadi climbing the stairway to success both at school and National level and this should serve as an inspiration for other athletes no matter what their sport is, to do equally well.

Incidentally our very own Manel Dharmakeerthi accompanied the Sri Lanka team on their latest tour to China to take part in the fourth world Traditional Wushu Championships in the capacity of an official.
    -Maxie Kariyawasam
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

we censor ****. haaaaaaaaa.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Confusing article

Africa's Wushu Champion
    Publication Date: November 12, 2010 - 5:18pm
    Updated: November 12, 2010 - 5:36pm
    By: Leroy M. Sonpon, III

The runner-up (second place) rank Junior Pewee Russian of Liberia, amongst 83 countries from around the world at the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championship in the People's Republic of China (PRC), has relight the country since the thawing of George M. Weah, in the sporting arena. Courtesy of Liberia's heavy weight Taekwondo fighter, Master Junior Pewee Russian, Liberia's 3-Dan Master won the 2nd place title in the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championship, which indicates that he (Master Russian) is the World's 2nd Wushu Champ and Africa's current Wushu champs.

According to Master Pewee Russian, the first winner hailed from China, while the third place winner came from Sweden.

Speaking to the Daily Observer Sports Desk over the weekend, Master Russian explained that before representing Liberia at the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championship, he spent 3 weeks at the Shandong Sports University, studying the International Wushu Training Course, China's new martial art, along with other nationals.

The Liberia's taekwondo captain stated that he was amongst the best 10 students who were certificated for their outstanding performances by the Department of Traditional Sports, Shandong Sports University on the 28th October 2010, in the Shandong Province, PRC.

Master Russian, displaying his gargantuan haul of medals and certificates, indicated that he also won the 3rd place at the 8th Zhengzhou China International Shaollin Wushu Festival, where he demonstrated his Russian One Pomsae.

Master Russian termed his certificate from China owing to his self-created technique, as Bachelor Degree in Pomsae.

Pomsae is a specific sequence (pattern) of blocks, strikes and stances acting out a fight with an imaginary opponent.

Through learning taekwondo or wushu patterns, practitioners concentrate on the correct technique of each block, stance, kick and punch.

Some pomsaes include Basics 1-3, Heung 1-2 and Taegeuk 1-8 as well as self defence patterns specific to belt level.

Master Russian is Africa's 3rd heavy weight taekwondo champs. He clinched the title when he also represented Liberia in 2009 at the Africa Taekwondo Championship in Libya.

The Liberia's top taekwondo and wushu fighter is the Technical Director of the Liberia Taekwondo Federation (LTF).

Master Russian went to the People's Republic of China for the International Training Wushu Course through the courtesy of the Liberia National Olympic Committee (LNOC).

Master Russian thanked Mr. Beyan Kesselly, the Commissioner for the Bureau of Maritime Affairs for his financial support in making his 40-days in China exciting and the Chinese Embassy, accredited near the Capital, and the Chinese Government.

He also hailed the Ministry of Youth and Sports for the moral support as well as the Friendship Fitness Club.
    I'm rather amused by these international reports on these tournaments; reporters from other countries have such different martial biases.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips